What to pack for Southwest Splendor

Disneynut64

DIS Veteran
We leave for ABD on Sunday. Wasn't sure if i should pack warmer closes or some warm and some cool clothes any help would be greatly appreciated

We leave for ABD on Sunday. Wasn't sure if i should pack warmer closes or some warm and some cool clothes any help would be greatly appreciated
I went in May, and it was a bit nippy at the Grand Canyon. In fact, it snowed one day! I don't know if it will be the same sort of weather in October, but on the chance it is, I'd recommend a warm wind-proof jacket and some sort of long pants. And if cold wind affects your ears, bring an ear band or some sort of hat that will cover your ears.

Sayhello

Agreed. We were there in July, when it was HOT, and even then at the Grand Canyon it was chilly at night and early in the morning. So I'd definitely pack some cold weather clothes. Have you been checking the weather reports at the destinations? Only other key packing item is a good pair of close toed walking shoes!

we have been checking the weather high 79 low in the 40's thanks you all your recommendations cindy

We just got back a few weeks ago.
At night and first thing in the morning at the Grand Canyon and the Red Cliffs lodge were a little cool ... I brought a few pairs of pants and a lightweight jacket and it was fine. Most of the rest of the time it is warm enough to wear shorts.
HAVE FUN!!!

We just got back a few weeks ago.
At night and first thing in the morning at the Grand Canyon and the Red Cliffs lodge were a little cool ... I brought a few pairs of pants and a lightweight jacket and it was fine. Most of the rest of the time it is warm enough to wear shorts.
HAVE FUN!!!
Thank you can't wait. Who was you guides. what did you do on you day on your own. Any suggestions where you ate also cindy

I was on the trip with PrincessCindi and have to agree with her about what to pack. I would also pack hiking shoes or boots and a hat. Don't forget a bathingsuit for the white water rafting. Our raft got very wet, but the other two did not. One did not get wet at all. The time on your own goes very quickly as there is not much of it. In Sedona I would suggest the Cowboy Grill(?) for dinner. It was wonderful and there is not much else that has sit down dinners.

Our guides were Mike and Kourey and they were great. They definitely added to the experience. Ours was an adult only trip so I don't know how to compare one with kids.

Our raft got very wet, but the other two did not. One did not get wet at all.

Our raft got wet because Princess Cindi's boat made an unprovoked attack. Oh, and then we steered into the rapids deliberately. That's when my partner and Nordkin's partner went for a sponaneous swim in the Colorado!

The time on your own goes very quickly as there is not much of it. In Sedona I would suggest the Cowboy Grill(?) for dinner. It was wonderful and there is not much else that has sit down dinners.

I believe it's the Cowboy Club, and I'd agree, looked like the best place in Sedona. It's a bit pricey, but we found that the rest of the dinners on our own were all pretty inexpensive, so it's a nice splurge. Try the game: the chili with venison, elk, and buffalo, the elk medallions, the buffalo filet. I'll leave the choice on Prairie Oysters to you!

On clothing, check out the Disney Shopping website; the Adventures by Disney fleece jackets we got are very nice and just the right weight for the evening temperatures.

Thank you everybody for you input. Living in florida is either alot of heat or a little bit of heat LOL

Our raft got wet because Princess Cindi's boat made an unprovoked attack. Oh, and then we steered into the rapids deliberately. That's when my partner and Nordkin's partner went for a sponaneous swim in the Colorado!

I believe it's the Cowboy Club, and I'd agree, looked like the best place in Sedona. It's a bit pricey, but we found that the rest of the dinners on our own were all pretty inexpensive, so it's a nice splurge. Try the game: the chili with venison, elk, and buffalo, the elk medallions, the buffalo filet. I'll leave the choice on Prairie Oysters to you!

On clothing, check out the Disney Shopping website; the Adventures by Disney fleece jackets we got are very nice and just the right weight for the evening temperatures.

We are still talking about the rafting trip and how quickly you reacted. You are also correct that it is the Cowboy Club. I couldn't remember the exact name. The food was great as was our service. Don't let the salt crusted prime rib scare you away. It was not salty at all and was one of the best prime rib I have had in a while.

rafting question my dad is 83 would that be too much for him. He is very active. cindy
We had several people in our group in their 70s. They grouped people into boats roughly by what I'll call "ability to tolerate adventure." The more senior boat made a gentle float down the river, and I think other than some wet feet getting in and out of the boat, emerged dry. The "rapids" are gentle, and in most places the boat can be steered around them. But there is certainly the potential to get bounced around.

So I guess it would depend on your dad. The river and rapids change during the year depending on water volume seasonally, so you'll want to talk to your Adventure Guides.

Just returned from the 10/12 Southwest Splendors tour. You'll want to pack long sleeve shirts, wind breakers and a jacket! Days were mostly warm...mayby 70 degrees at highest. It was 17 degrees one night in the canyon, so chilly evenings! I thought the Cowboy in Sedona was just ok. There's an ice cream shoppe just down from the Cowboy that served up the creamiest prickly pear ice cream. A must! Don't miss the Horseback riding in Moab, right there at the Red Cliffs Lodge. The float down the Colorado River was lots of fun, but don't plan on staying dry! Water wars are eminent. You'll have two of the BEST guides that ABD has to offer. Mike and Korey. Awesome energy, delightful, full of knowledge and always accommodating. Say hello to Mike and Korey and swing by the bar at Red Cliffs Lodge and say "hello" to Donna from one of the three amigos.

Thank you for your udate and info. Will make an effort to get to the bar and tell donna hello LOL cindy

Just returned from the 10/12 Southwest Splendors tour. You'll want to pack long sleeve shirts, wind breakers and a jacket! Days were mostly warm...mayby 70 degrees at highest. It was 17 degrees one night in the canyon, so chilly evenings!

Wow! That's a pretty quick drop from the mid 80s/40s we had at the end of September.

You'll have two of the BEST guides that ABD has to offer. Mike and Korey. Awesome energy, delightful, full of knowledge and always accommodating.

We broke 'em in on our trip. Actually, nobody realized until we were almost finished that it was their first tour together since they worked so well as a team. Korey said that he was angling for Costa Rica and Italy next year in addition to the Southwest, but I got the impression Mike would be back for this tour next year.

Do you still have "Rhinestone Cowboy" going through your head?
:cool1:

We had several people in our group in their 70s. They grouped people into boats roughly by what I'll call "ability to tolerate adventure." The more senior boat made a gentle float down the river, and I think other than some wet feet getting in and out of the boat, emerged dry. The "rapids" are gentle, and in most places the boat can be steered around them. But there is certainly the potential to get bounced around.

So I guess it would depend on your dad. The river and rapids change during the year depending on water volume seasonally, so you'll want to talk to your Adventure Guides.

The rafting is the #1 reason I am nervous about going on this trip. This post just made me feel a lot better! I can let DH go in the more adventurous group, while DD & I do more of a 'float.'

The rafting is the #1 reason I am nervous about going on this trip. This post just made me feel a lot better! I can let DH go in the more adventurous group, while DD & I do more of a 'float.'
This is one of the things ABD excels at. There is always an alternate version of an activity that you can do if the listed activity is too hard or just something you don't feel up to. The bus tour of Arches National park vs the hike to Delicate Arch is another example. On the Canadian Rockies tour, they have a Calistoga wagon you can ride if you're not up to horse-back riding. In Versailles, you can go for a walk if you're not into the bicycle ride.

Sayhello

We did Southwest Spendors back in 2007. I don't swim so I was nervous about the rafting too. I mentioned that I didn't swim to our guide and he said not to worry about it. Sure enough, besides the life jackets which everyone is required to wear, I was in the boat with a guide. I swear she checked on me at least once every 5 minutes. There was really no need to worry. To feel better I would mention to a guide that you are nervous about the rafting. They want you to be safe and have fun!

When we did the rafting trip in 2009 I barely got wet. I sat down inside the raft and didnt paddle because I was a little nervous about it all. I just wanted to experience it and it was fun. Next time I will probably paddle on the edge of the raft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter