What to order NOT spicy at San Angel Inn

rontu78

Mouseketeer
My husband looks forward to Mexican food, and I am looking forward to a "date night" at San Angel Inn with him, but I'm not sure what to order. I don't do ANY level of heat. When we go to a Mexican restaurant at home, I generally get fajitas and extra sour cream on the side instead of pico and guacamole. I avoid the salsa that comes with the chips. Anywhere we go, I never put black pepper on my food, and I order my steaks with no pepper/seasoning blend. Even mild rotel tomatoes are too spicy for me.

I have heard that heat at Disney is generally pretty mild, but please give me your recommendations on what should I order to be SURE my mouth doesn't feel like it's on fire?

Also, as an aside, I don't care for cilantro, which is in a lot of dishes.

Thanks!

Did you peruse the menu?
Perhaps then someone can answer to that particular dish??
We have actually not returned here... just don't get the real "Mexican" flare we hoped for. I do recall however that nothing we ordered was spicy or overly
Tasty at all. 2-3 times n done for us. When we want they "bit" of Mexican taste we just grab food in the outside area and eat a full meal elsewhere
Enjoy ur visit!

I think you are confusing Tex-Mex for Mexican... Mexican food and especially here is not spicy. This is more traditional Mexican. I would tell the server your concerns and they will accommodate you but I truly would not concerned. As I recall however there is just no spice or at least for what I consider spice...but I have heard people say Avocado is spicy which is what guacamole is made from... I find it very bland... I think you will have a hard time finding someone who can guide you... Rotel tomatoes are not just tomatoes they are tomatoes mixed with chili peppers which would make them spicy....

P.S. If you husband is looking for more Tex-Mex I would look at the places in DS.. he may be very disappointed of he is looking for something with spice or for that fact Mexican favor, flair or what others say.. I personally enjoy the food but also love Tex-Mex can not be to hot for me....Place by me which is well known and always packed as in 1-2 hours easy on Saturday and Sunday unless you get there at 12-12:30 has FREE Jalapenos on anything--pile them on please...

I had the steak tacos for lunch and didn't think they were spicy at all. I also asked for the sauce on the side, so I could control how much I had, and swapped out the red sauce and got the green (mild) sauce instead. To me, the green sauce was more tangy than spicy.

I like the idea of the sauce on the side and asking for the green instead of the red. Thanks! I'll definitely share my concerns with our server as well. I have looked at the menu, but it left me confused as to the spice level on those dishes. I know words like poblano and chiles usually mean heat! My husband and I are really looking forward to the atmosphere here, having seen it but not stopped previously while doing the boat ride inside this pavilion with our little guy. Can't wait to try it out for "date night." I appreciate the responses. If anyone else has specific dishes they would recommend for me, I'd still love to hear them. We're going for dinner, so it appears steak tacos (mentioned above) are not on the dinner menu.

The Pollo A Las Rajas remains one of the best things I've ever eaten at Disney! So good I've tried to recreate it at home (but didn't come close). No cilantro and I can't recall it being spicy at all. So delicious, San Angel is on our list for return trips just for that dish!

I'm trying to think back on everything I have ordered there in past and I can't recall anything ever been spicy. Many dishes are flavorful and my favorite dish (which is, sadly, no longer on the menu) had kind of a smokey flavor to the sauce. I would like your CM know things you want to stay away from and I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction.

I am with you on the 'no heat' thing. But when I ask other people if things are spicy, they say no or not really, but they don't understand I can't stand ANY heat whatsoever so I know where you are coming from. I would love to eat there and have toyed with the idea of going just for dessert so I can dine in the wonderful surroundings.

I am with you on the 'no heat' thing. But when I ask other people if things are spicy, they say no or not really, but they don't understand I can't stand ANY heat whatsoever so I know where you are coming from. I would love to eat there and have toyed with the idea of going just for dessert so I can dine in the wonderful surroundings.

We have found San Angel very accommodating when it comes to ordering food without heat. You might want to give it a try. :)

That is where we always sit. Love it! We always make our reservation for lunch at 11:30am (as soon as it opens) to get a table by the water.

The earlier the better for us, as we are still in UK time for most of the vacation and eat breakfast ridiculously early so are ready for lunch by 10am, plus they are less crowded and, as you say, you get your pick of tables. Will check out the menu nearer the time for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter