• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to get an only child for Christmas?

Shagley

If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will r
My 10 year old cousin is an only child, and I am trying to think of something to get her for Christmas that she can enjoy playing with/using by herself. I can't spend more than about $30.00 for her, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of things that their kids have enjoyed. She is a "girly" girl and enjoys playing with Polly Pockets, American Girl Dolls, etc, but she has so many Polly and AG things that I was hoping to get her something different. Also, her birthday is in early January (will be 10), so I am needing to come up with two gift ideas for her.

how about a pedicure kit? or a gift certificate for a real manicure/pedicure.

shower gel/lotion stuff is good too, my oldest DD likes Bath and Body Works as much as I do.

we are giving our daughter (turning 9) a funky dorm chair $27.00 linnens and things. She love things to decorate her room. We are asking family to get her CDs or DVDs becasue they ship easy.

How about one of those electronic dance mats. That is what I'm thinking of getting my neice whose about the same age.

Send HER a real message and give her the BRATZ doll :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

JK of corse but my DD the only one is sometimes a SPOILD BRAT for sure and will tell you that.
You know a craft class with you at an AC moore or Michael's would be neat as well.

I wasn't an only child, but when I was ten (and even today) my wish would have been for a book or a gift certificate for a bookstore.

Art supplies or a art or craft kit. A good CD or Movie. Tickets for her and a freind to attend a show or movie.

Why not call her mother or father and ask them, if they can't give you anything specific just ask them a direction to go in. If they have a Disney trip coming up you can always get Disney Dollars! I like My 2 Cinderella's idea about the gift certificate for the manicure or pedicure, even better if you live near her you can go together and make a morning and or afternoon of it, after the manicure you could take to McDonalds or somewhere for an inexpensive lunch. :cheer2: ::MinnieMo :cheer2:

A Build-a-Bear gift certificate might be a fun alternative. My DD 10 loves to do this and enjoys picking out the outfit the best. You and she could go to the mall together to do the build-a-bear.

If she is into crafts, a fun activity you could do with her is get her a tie-dye kit and some plain white shirts / socks / etc. We did this on my DD 10th birthday for our upcoming trip to Disney. Then we all wore them on the same day at Disney....what a memory!

Some of the best gifts involve activities / time spent with the person. :flower:

Good luck!
Dawna

My DD10 loves Michael's craft store and would go crazy for a gift certificate there.
Last year for Christmas, I purchased her the Princess Storybook Christmas Ornaments from Disneyshopping.com. She loved them! I now plan to order her a different set every year. She will have a nice collection for her tree when she grows up and still get to use them on my tree while she is still at home.

An "only child's" gift should not be different than any other girls her age. I am sure she has friends to play games with. Sorry, but I take exception that you felt the need to label her.

p.s. Yes, I am an only child and so is my 6 yo son!

My niece will be 10 in January too. Not an only child, but she loves to read, and loves playing soccer. So in talking to my brother (trying to get the Christmas shopping done early) he suggested a gift card to one of the large bookstores in the area, and a gift card to one of the sports stores. For her birthday we'll just be back from WDW, so we'll look for a present there (Tinkerbell is one of her favorites).

I agree, it's hard! I remember when I was 10 I was still into horses and Barbies...

'Only Children' aren't strange beings from another planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Just buy something age/gender appropriate. Or would you think there's different gifts out there for children from large families, blended families, single-parent families, etc. etc. They don't seperate them out that way at Toys r Us.

I was an "only" and I'm dearly sick of the stereotypes people are so quick to place on us. We're "selfish, spoiled, don't want to share, etc. ........."
Well, let me tell you what its really like being an "only'. There's never anyone around to play with. Vacations usually consist of car trips to elderly relatives' houses, where the most interesting thing is the cat or dog. You're expected to eat a whole cake, dozens of cookies, bags of candy, etc., because dear Aunt Mabel "made them just for you". Heaven forbid you don't eat enough sweets to choke on or they get mad. Obviously, they don't know what to do with a little kid but feed her sweets, and when that runs its course then they get mad because they don't know what else to do. I guess that's "being spoiled". Insofar as "not wanting to share toys", well, I just died for friends and companions when I was a child. I gladly shared my toys just to get friends to come over. However, there's so much jealously on the part of other kids from large families that they usually would break my toys just for spite. Funny, I could have something for years, put it in the hands of a kid from a large family and its a piece of trash in five minutes! Then if I protest I'm just a "selfish, spoiled, only kid". However, no one ever tolerated my breaking their things.

My observations of people from large families has been that they are the selfish, grubby "hogs". I guess they grew up fighting for every little thing so that's how they interract with others. Too many pigs at the trough! No, large families aren't the Waltons. As an "only" I was lonely, victimized by so-called "friends" and tormented by "well-meaning" relatives. Only children are CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!! Just get the "little weird-o" the same thing you'd get a child from a large family. It will end up in the trash in a few weeks, regardless, toys are so cheaply made nowdays.

Hi I am assuming since you mentioned she is an only child, it was because you wanted to make sure she would be able to enjoy it when ever and not have to wait for friends to come over, I'm the mom to just one son and took no offense. I think all the suggestions that were given were good, but wanted to add sometimes people didn't get DS board games, but we really enjoyed having a few and liked to play them as a family, altho I will admit, sometimes I wished he had someone else to play them w/ when I wanted to get something done. I know one Christmas we got him one of thos pool/ping pong tables for Christmas and I was so glad when other kids came over so they could play ping pong w/ him instead of me, SO I would guess it depends on if her parents like to play games w/ her and things like that, when picking a gift, good luck.

I'm an only child with a birthday just 10 days from Christmas (Dec 15). Just buy her what you would buy any 10yr old girl :goodvibes:

Oh, here's just a little tip--I did mention that toys are so cheaply made nowdays. Yesterday I bought my dd a toy with moving parts, etc., from toys r us. For $2.99 extra, you can buy an extended waranty that covers anything wrong for, I believe, a year. I think its worth it, you might want to consider it for any toy gift.

tmt martins said:
Send HER a real message and give her the BRATZ doll :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

JK of corse but my DD the only one is sometimes a SPOILD BRAT for sure and will tell you that.
You know a craft class with you at an AC moore or Michael's would be neat as well.

Just where in the world did that comment come from???? You have no idea if this particular child is a brat or not. Totaly and completely out of line!!!!

Winnie Pooh Fan said:
Just where in the world did that comment come from???? You have no idea if this particular child is a brat or not. Totaly and completely out of line!!!!

I'm a DAD of an only DD12 and her and I can be a brat at times . :cool1:

It was a joke and BRATZ are very popular with that age group of girls.
But for you here is some luv :love: :love1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter