What to get 5 year old DS as his big Christmas Gift

ccgirl

DIS Veteran
The title says it all...I am stumped what to get my DS5 for his "big" Christmas gift this year. Santa only gives one gift in my house and it's usually between 100 -150. My DD10 is getting an IPod Touch.

I was thinking a Lego table similar to this one:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11791912

Last year he got the VTech Innotab and he already has a Leapster and he really likes both and I got him accessories for both. He also has the Power Wheels Jeep.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks so much.

If he plays with the legos and you have place to put the table, then I'd go with that idea.

I would say an Ipod Touch! Ha - my kids (2 and 6) use that more than anything! But the Lego table is really nice if you have the space and he would use it!!

I would ask him what he would like and not worry so much about the $$ amount. If all he wants is a $25 firetruck, you will make his Christmas special if there is one under the tree. Santa also only brings one gift per person in our house and he fills the stockings. I have never worried about even $ amounts with my kids, if they want things of differing prices, so be it. They are 7 & 9 now and this may change as they get older and are more aware of prices and no longer believe in Santa (Santa doesn't buy toys, he makes them so $ don't come into play).:santa:

I don't do a big christmas gift, probably because my girls haven't asked for one. They're cool with their $10-$20 toys.

The title says it all...I am stumped what to get my DS5 for his "big" Christmas gift this year. Santa only gives one gift in my house and it's usually between 100 -150. My DD10 is getting an IPod Touch.

I was thinking a Lego table similar to this one:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11791912

Last year he got the VTech Innotab and he already has a Leapster and he really likes both and I got him accessories for both. He also has the Power Wheels Jeep.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks so much.

Nintendo DSi

My oldest got a Nintendo DSi at 5 and the younger loved it so much that she got one for #4 (these were birthday gifts I guess, not xmas). I pre-loaded them both with an SD card full of music, so they had some entertainment in addition to the games. (Well, that and a trip to Disneyland, but the trip wasn't a gift, just a fun family celebration).

This year, at 6 & 8 they are getting their own ipod touches (we have two really old ones that they love to use, plus we do a lot of driving during the summer so it's a sanity saver for me too!). And honestly, since the explosion of kid-friendly apps in iTunes they hardly use their DSi's anymore. Plus, I have a hard time paying $15-25 dollars for one new game that only one can play at a time.

Last year, I got a good deal on a small movie player from Amazon and got one for each.

Gosh... that's a lot of electronics!

I asked my parents for a Comfy Sack as our family gift. It's a huge bean-bag chair. It will be our main furniture in our downstairs playroom/tv room/office. They have kid size ones too. That could be a fun idea! www.comfysacks.com

We bought a touch for DS10 and DS6. We thought about getting a nintendo dsi for DS6 but decided he'd be pretty jealous of his big brother's touch. Plus games for the touch are free/cheap and he's used to playing on DH's. iPad.

I bought DD6 a Nintendo 3DS and now I am kicking myself that I didn't buy her a Kindle Fire instead. She loves mine, and is constantly stealing it to play apps or read on it. The apps are a lot cheaper than the DS games, too.

Does his need a new bicycle?

:thumbsup2

Or a scooter? Or how about a set of Nerf guns that he could play with his sister?

Any sports he's into that you could get him some of his own equipment for that? My younger dd does gymnastics, so I'm getting her a balance beam (so she can practice her routines at home).

My 5 year old is getting a playmobil set.
You could get one of the larger 'main' sets.
Wonderful gift - encourages play - and it is NOT electronic!! :cool1:

I would get him the ipod touch. He is right on the edge between little kid and big kid. My DS6 has had his over a year and loves it. There is so much he can do with it and he may be close to outgrowing his kid electronics. The lego table looks pretty low to the ground and he may outgrow it really soon. If this is not an option for you, Our DS also loves his scooter, his 3DS, lego sets, anything wii.

We are doing Legos and a Lego table for the kids from Santa this year.

Does he like to draw? How about Alex Toys Draw Like a Pro tracer and some 'how to draw' books? Ed Emberley has great books out.

Thanks so much for the ideas everyone. His older sister is 10 so she would know if Santa was off balanced $$ wise. She also asked for an electric scooter which I got a great deal on. Maybe I get them both a scooter from Santa and the ipod touch from me.

You are also right, I was thinking he was too young for one but maybe I could get a smaller refurbished one for him. My friend got the Kindle Fire for $120 from Amazon the other day. I'm kicking myself for not getting that.

The kids are 5 years apart and my memory is not what it used to be as to what we got her at that age. :headache: Plus, I'm from a family of girls and am not the most savvy when it comes to boy gifts.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it!

I would not get a Nintendo DS. Nintendo doesn't keep up/update their games for their handheld platforms. If you decide to get something other than a Touch, go for the PSVita as it's state of the art and PlayStation has always been good at keeping games up to date.
I agree with the Ipod Touch idea.
On the other hand, I think a 5yo should be encouraged to play physically instead of stare at a screen. I personally know one child who's perifereal vision was damaged because he spent so much time staring directly at a small screen right in front of him. He's going through therapy. His doctor said it's happening a lot.
Bike, tree house, how about a trampoline(might be really expensive). Lego table sounds good. DH made one for our son when he was little. It got some use, mainly DS's friends played with it because he wasn't enamoured with small motor function stuff. He built when his friends were playing with his Legos. How is your son with his? They either love it or not.

My DS, soon to be 6, is getting a spiderman web shooter (the only thing he's actually asked for) and a new drum. DH is a drummer so they spend lots of time together in the basement drumming while I keep the earplugs in :)

DS has 'inherited' my ipod touch. He has had it for about 1 year now. He does have a Mobigo (and will be getting games for that too) and plays Wii and playstation. He loves loves the ipod touch though!

I would not get a Nintendo DS. Nintendo doesn't keep up/update their games for their handheld platforms. If you decide to get something other than a Touch, go for the PSVita as it's state of the art and PlayStation has always been good at keeping games up to date.
I agree with the Ipod Touch idea.
On the other hand, I think a 5yo should be encouraged to play physically instead of stare at a screen. I personally know one child who's perifereal vision was damaged because he spent so much time staring directly at a small screen right in front of him. He's going through therapy. His doctor said it's happening a lot.
Bike, tree house, how about a trampoline(might be really expensive). Lego table sounds good. DH made one for our son when he was little. It got some use, mainly DS's friends played with it because he wasn't enamoured with small motor function stuff. He built when his friends were playing with his Legos. How is your son with his? They either love it or not.

I agree. Electronics are limited in our house. They have had the Wii for 2 - 3 years and I can probably count on two hands the number of times they have played it.

He has a bicycle but I'm looking into the scooter idea. His sister is getting an Electric Scooter for Christmas so I'm thinking I can get him a more age appropriate (non electric) scooter for him with the helmet and pads and Santa can give both to the kids. He has a small 3 wheel Toy Story scooter that he has outgrown.

Thanks again everyone.

How about a few of the Stack Your Track Die-Cast chuggington sets? My 5 yr old got the Wilsons Wild Ride and he is getting a few more. They are really cool. They fit together more like a lego or a puzzle and you can stack them high. Many various set ups and directions to follow like legos.

I'd get him an iPod Touch too. My 4yo constantly wants to borrow my 11yo's, and she can navigate it just fine, has her own learning and Disney apps, and plays with it more than any toy we've bought for her in years (well, other than her cardboard castle - whoever started selling appliance boxes as toys deserves his millions!).

My son was (is) a Lego nut but the table never got a lot of use. There's something about dumping the set out all over the floor that was just irresistible to him.

And personally I steer clear of outdoor toys as Christmas gifts. I just hate giving the kids something that they won't really be able to enjoy for months because there's too much snow on the ground to use a scooter (or bike, or rollerblades, or trampoline). That's how Christmas came to be our "tech" holiday while birthdays tend to bring more active gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter