what to expect with shore excursions

magiclover41

Earning My Ears
I have reserved my shore excursions online...now some more questions just popped into my head. All you veteran DCL cruisers help me out!;)
1) When calculating cost for these, is there tax on top of listed price or is just going with listed price accurate?

2) Are we expected to tip with these? This is new to me and I am not sure what the norm is.

3) Since they are reserved online, when we get on ship do I need to hustle to excursion deck to confirm these? Please explain this whole process to me from boarding, knowing where to go for the excursion itself and then paying for them...how does that work and when?:confused: :confused: :confused:

The price listed is the full price. No tax on top of this.

You do not have to go to the excursion desk at all. Your excursion tickets as well as information on the meeting place for the group will appear in your cabin by magic. Usually these are on the desk when you arrive at the stateroom for the first time.

Supposedly the cost of a DCL excursion is all inclusive--any expected tipping was covered in the cost of the excursion. However, some bus drivers, etc. will have a tip jar out. This is totally optional. You are not expected to tip the DCL CM who will be with the group.

OK, from start to finish.
Book your excursion on line. You can cancel up to 3 days before boarding without penalty. IF you have booked on line, you don't need to do anything else re booking. The ticket will appear in your stateroom and the charge will appear on your onboard account. If for any reason the excursion is canceled (weather or whatever), the charge is automatically canceled--again, you don't have to do anything.

You will receive information in your stateroom as to what time and where your group will assemble. You will go with your ticket, KTTW, photo ID for over 18, and anything else you need (hat, water bottle, swimsuit, etc depending on excursion) to the appointed place. This is a gathering place--may be promenade lounge, rockin bar D, etc.....they will take attendance, collect tickets, be sure everyone has IDs, and issue a small sticker that you will wear on your clothing. This just identifies you as a part of the group. You may have a blue Ariel or a red Flounder, etc. (not a federal issue if this is lost....)

The CM will then guide you (sometimes with a colored flag--follow the flag) off the ship and to whatever transportation you will use. He/she will again do a head count, and you are off to wherever you have booked.

You will be repeatedly notified of the ending of the excursion and where to meet--back at the vehicle, a certain area of the beach, or whatever. BE there. The CM will again do a head count and you will go back to the ship. They only do attendance by name if the head count isn't accurate.

If for any reason a DCL excursion is running late (traffic, whatever), they will hold the ship. The ship will not leave without you IF you are on a DCL excursion and the group is late. It will leave without you if you have gone off on your own and are not back at the "all aboard" time.

Did I cover all your questions?

I have never heard that the price is all inclusive with the tip. We have always tipped--especially for great service and extra entertainment to pass the travel time. I can say I don't tip if nothing was done to make it special. For instance, if the bus driver is a lively character that turns your travel to the excursion into a guided tour--heck yes, I will tip him. But, if he doesn't open his mouth--nope. I do not tip the disney crew members since not one has done anything out of the scope of their job. Generally, they pass you off to the excursion company and you really don't see them again.

The tickets should arrive the first night or two. If you don't get them then, just call down.

The only exception to "the ship will leave without you if you booked your own excursion" would have to be if your kids are in the club and you are on the island. They won't leave the kids stranded but you may get a nasty letter from the captain.

DG

You ahve had a good answer to this already, but I confirm that I have always tipped on shore trips often they refer to a pot or the tour guide makes an annocement, or they help you 'off the bus' at the end.

The price on the website is the amount your stateroom account is charged nothing extra, and the tickets will be in your room on arrival on the ship if booked online.

thanks for the detailed information! This first time cruiser appreciates it. We have 2 excursions booked through DCL!

thanks for the detailed information! This first time cruiser appreciates it. We have 2 excursions booked through DCL!

Hope you enjoy them, I have been on a lot and they are often well run, I loved the old character stickers they gave you to identify you on each coach, always ensure everyone has their ticket and photo ID and be on time, read navigators as to where, someone is always late, or doesn't bring something.

In Europe I organized all of my own with private tours but if you are in a place you do not know its always best to book with DCL.

The DCL trips ensure you are back to ship on time so less chance you will have a great picture at the port of the ship leaving without you.

kcashner - Thanks for all the information. :worship:

The DCL trips ensure you are back to ship on time so less chance you will have a great picture at the port of the ship leaving without you.

As first time cruisers, we have booked our excursions with DCL as we didn't know the procedures or what to expect. So glad to hear that we won't be left behind if our excursion runs late for any situations that are out of our/DCL's control. :goodvibes

kcashner - Thanks for all the information. :worship:

As first time cruisers, we have booked our excursions with DCL as we didn't know the procedures or what to expect. So glad to hear that we won't be left behind if our excursion runs late for any situations that are out of our/DCL's control. :goodvibes

Some veteran cruisers like to organize their own, I know Europe well so I organized my own there. But you run the risk of traffic trouble or other delays causing your return to the ship to be late and miss the boat.

On a DCL shore trip they all keep in contact with the ship through the appointed local travel agency, and if there was a problem they would hold back the ship departure for you.

I have done ship's excursions and independently-booked ones. I am more likely to book an excursion through the ship if it is a long one, is far from port, or ends close to the time we need to get back on the ship. The people that "miss the boat" are usually NOT the ones on independent excursions, but the ones who didn't change their watches, or were too busy shopping or drinking.

I usually tip the tour guide based on the cost of the excursion as well as the length of it. It might end up being 10-15% of the total - if the guide is really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter