• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to expect for DL's 60th anniversary in 2015 (Starting May 22)

I cannot wait for the new entertainment offerings, especially a revamped WOC. The original show had never really impressed me, so I am thankful it's changing.

I didn't see an end date on the 60th anniversary festivities. Anybody have a sense of that, maybe from past anniversary or park-wide events like this? We're going the first week of September. I can't imagine they'd have it down by then.

Does anyone remember when Disneyland had their 50th if they ever said how long the celebration would last? We have family members that are planning a trip in the summer 2016, and it would be nice for them to know how to plan. I can't imagine they would just stop all their 60th stuff mid summer, but you never know.

Phrog, we were posting similar questions at the same time!

Hey, great minds and all that. Hopefully someone will clue us in!

It's been stated by Disney that the new nighttime events will run through at least the end of the year. So there is no danger of missing out on any of the new 60th anniversary fun by going in September -- although the schedule for the new events could be scaled back a bit (no one really knows).

Next year is the real question. I am trying to remember how long the events of the 50th anniversary lasted. I think that some of them lasted well into the first half of 2006, didn't they? (Does anyone remember?) I would have to imagine that Disney wants to run this whole 60th anniversary celebration for at least a full year -- so probably from May of this year to May of 2016. After that, who knows? Maybe it will continue on through the summer of 2016. :confused:

I thought I had heard here on boards, that some one heard it would be 16 months. Wouldn't that mean they may not stop until sep 2016?

I think the elements specific to the 60th will have an end date sometime in 2016, but I expect things like Disneyland Forever fireworks and Paint the Night parade to last well beyond 2016. Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks show debuted for the 50th and ran until last year. I would expect something similar for the other shows they've developed; they'll debut for the 60th and last for several years. WoC is the only question mark and that's because it seems fairly easy(ish) to develop new shows, so that one might transition to something new quicker. I'd be stunned if Disneyland Forever and Paint the Night ended in 2016.

Has anyone heard if they'll do something special for the original '55 rides like they did for the 50th? (Golden Dumbo, Pan ship, Autopia car, etc)

Lilly Bell, I have to ask you a question. I see your siggy says a year and 10 months for a wdw trip. Did you deiced the dl trip when the 60th stuff was announced or did you already have it planed?

I had a wdw trip planed but then the 60th is making me go back and forth on both trips or just dl this year. Just thought I'd ask you. What made you deiced almost two years out for wdw trip and not this year?

We already had it planned. I'm from the area and moved out of state a few years ago, I'll be visiting family and friends for a couple weeks in addition to our DLR stay. We took my daughter at 6 months old for the 1st time on the 50th and until we moved we always renewed our AP's on July 17th :)

We're doing a cruise winter of 2015 & summer of 2016 and will be back at WDW for Xmas 2016 :santa:

Oh alright, Thank you. I hope you have fun with Family. We know now we are doing the 60th no matter what. It just looks so neat. I hope the castle and CC still have the diamonds on it in dec. It's such a little thing but it just looks so neat so besides shows , fw, and parade. The castle and CC are just something I hope to see.

As a local person and AP holder I can't wait until May 22. I even booked a few nights at Grand California to take full advantage of the kick off of the diamond celebration at DL.

Does anyone remember when Disneyland had their 50th if they ever said how long the celebration would last? We have family members that are planning a trip in the summer 2016, and it would be nice for them to know how to plan. I can't imagine they would just stop all their 60th stuff mid summer, but you never know.

To this and other similar posts, I posted my thoughts in the OP...

For those visiting this summer, I will be there too as summer is my favorite time to visit DLR. Here are some tips: "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

I have not seen any information about how long the 60th celebration will last. The 50th anniversary celebration lasted from May 2005 until September 2006. Thus DLR was able to get two summers included in that celebration.

I kind of doubt DLR will do that again but they might. Otherwise I would guess it will last until May, 2016 or up through July 17, 2016.

To this and other similar posts, I posted my thoughts in the OP...

I always enjoy reading your posts, Hydroguy, and I read that one, too! :thumbsup2

What I was curious about was if they ever announced how long the 50th celebration would last, and if they did, when did they let that information be known. This is the type of planning information that can be hard to get from Disney.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Hydroguy, and I read that one, too! :thumbsup2

What I was curious about was if they ever announced how long the 50th celebration would last, and if they did, when did they let that information be known. This is the type of planning information that can be hard to get from Disney.

My brain gets fuzzy with details from that long ago however I feel like they announced how long it would last at the same time the finally announced the 50th. I was very pleased because it meant I got to celebrate a big birthday during the celebration only because they did run it for 15 or 16 months - which was a little confusing.

As you might guess if they run this one as long I then can celebrate an even bigger milestone birthday during it so I'm waiting to hear the end dates. :crazy:

I remember that it was clear from the beginning of the 50th that it would last through the summer of 2006.

For the 60th nothing has been said on this. But heck, they only announced the May 22 date a week ago. So we may find out a duration before May 22.

:wizard:

I remember that it was clear from the beginning of the 50th that it would last through the summer of 2006.

For the 60th nothing has been said on this. But heck, they only announced the May 22 date a week ago. So we may find out a duration before May 22.

:wizard:

It'll be interesting to see how all this unfolds. I remember so little of the chatter that surrounded the 50th...most of what I recall is the park decorations and the entertainment...you know, the fun stuff!

Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration ran from May 5, 2005 to September 30, 2006. The "Happiest Homecoming On Earth" was the first park anniversary to be celebrated at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Times have change, however. I expect the 60th Celebration will probably end next May. However, Paint The Night and Disneyland Forever will run for several years. Assuming they don't present a logistical nightmare inside the park.

Do you think a 24 hour event is a long shot now because it was not announced at the preview?

Yes and no...I'm less inclined to think that they'll do the 24-hour event on May 22nd this year because of the start of the 60th anniversary activities. I can see them no wanting to take attention away from that by having another special activity taking place on that same day. By that same token, I can see them doing something like the 24-hour day (less sure about the rumored 60-hour "day") on July 17th itself. There were also rumors that they were looking at other days during the year to do the 24-hour event. So it wouldn't surprise me if there was a 24-hour event this year, it just probably won't be on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter