what to do?

slurpeeman

Earning My Ears
hi we have a small problem and are asking for advice. We have a 2 bedroom villa booked at vwl for the first week of october. My sister and law and her family were going to join us. now my sister in law has backed out because she just got another job and cant get the vacation time. should we go 2 weeks earlier in the middle of sept. and get a one bedroom villa and thus save points and money or just keep what we have?
p.s. we tried to get a one bedroom for the same time in oct. but none were available. oh and we are a familt of 4.

Only you can really make the decision. Here are some things to consider:

Is there still availability for a 1 bedroom in September? If not, the question may be moot.

Are you driving or have you already made non-refundable airline reservations that will cost additonal money to change?

Will you really miss the points if you "splurge" on the 2 bedroom?

Are the kids OK with sleeping together on the sleep sofa or do you really need the extra bed?

Would you be up to letting the kids each invite a friend - you didn't say how old they were, so maybe this isn't an option.

Do you have or plan to have special events scheduled that aren't available for your September dates? MNSSHP? Food & Wine?

Did you plan lots of TS meals? Kind of late to get new ADRs for September since so many are going for free dining and likely have booked uyp the more popular times & restaurants.

Any chance your sister will change her mind or her family will decide to go without her and expect that that is OK to do to you? (Had to ask - sometimes families do strange things, LOL)?

You really should decide soon - any remaining availability will go to CRO at the 60 day mark and since September is free dining, it may go quickly. Then you won't have a choice.

Good luck with your decision - sorry your sister's family can go with you.

Another good example of why you don't share points with family members! :rotfl2: We had something similar happen once, so I feel your pain. If it were me, I'd call and see what else is available for September. Sept is Adventure season so you'd be using less points than in October anyway. How old are your kids? Like Carol said, can they and do they mind sleeping together? If not, I'd get a one bedroom and save the points. We go in September every year because the crowds are so low. Its the best time of year for us. It can be hot, but just as hot in October.
If you have young kids who enjoy Playhouse Disney, they have a lot of the tv show performers playing live at MGM in September too.
We have a one bedroom booked for Beach Club for 5 nights - can't wait for Sept to get here!

You might get on the wait list for a smaller unit for other times that work better for you including just keeping the week you have and wait listing the 1 BR to replace the 2 BR.

We had something similar today in fact...Our daughter's family (4) had to cancel..I called MS this morning and was able to pick up a 1 bedroom for the 2 of us and add a day at SSR..cancelling the 2 bedroom. I couldnt believe how fast they answered the phone on a Monday morning and how easy it was.

I would switch to the 1 bedroom. Saving points means more trips or longer trips ;) September is an enjoyable time although I have not been there during free dining before. But maybe do as Dean suggested and get on the waitlist for a 1 bedroom in October. Let us know what you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter