What to do with your scooter in the rain...

nannye

DIS Veteran
My mom will be using a scooter for our trip later this month. I am worried about the rain. I know some places we can't bring the scooter in, do we cover it each time? I'm assuming rain can damage it. Lots of places you can bring it in, but I know cry we can't.
Any tips?

I use a poncho over the seat and a child's poncho over the steering column and basket.

Although, this may not work everywhere we always look for an area to park the scooter that has a covering like a roof to leave the scooter.

Also, drop the back of your seat down; so, it won't be all wet and you have to sit on it. With a poncho you don't have to worry about this part.

Buy some shower caps at a dollar store. If it rains, you can put one over the control post.:)

When I rented a scooter they provided a cheap shower cap for the controls. that is the part that would get ruined if wet. The rest was fine getting wet. However a wet seat is not very comfortable. A rain poncho should work.

We put a poncho over the seat when we parked it and it may have rained while we were inside. We had a plastic bag over the front controls and it seemed to work out fine.

Unfortunately, a plastic bag over the controls isn't always enough. Mind you, getting caught in a torrential thunderstorm doesn't help matters! My ECV died 3/4 way round the World Showcase and that was it. Turns out there was a reset button that I wasn't told about, so I may have been able to get it going again. I was wearing a poncho, as well ...

It's possible that you need a full ECV rain poncho - one which covers all of you and the console and your hands!

Unfortunately, a plastic bag over the controls isn't always enough. Mind you, getting caught in a torrential thunderstorm doesn't help matters! My ECV died 3/4 way round the World Showcase and that was it. Turns out there was a reset button that I wasn't told about, so I may have been able to get it going again. I was wearing a poncho, as well ...

It's possible that you need a full ECV rain poncho - one which covers all of you and the console and your hands!

Our 3rd day we got a glitchy ECV. It was only sprinkling and barely at that and the ECV stopped twice and I had to turn it off and on again and then it was fine. Then later in the evening it did it again a couple times. When we brought it back we told them, just incase they needed to check it out and the girl at the rental said a lot of them get strange when it rains.

The first day we were caught in a downpour and it took us some time to find cover and that one had no problems at all. (Covered with the plastic bag)

Depends on the park.

MK has good covered parking in Tomarrowland under the Rocket ride, I also like to ride Monster's laugh Floor in the rain. Sometimes they will let you sit in there on the scooter. Mickey's Philoharmic is also good to see several times as it is a covered waiting area.
Epcot we head for Living Seas or the Land in the rain. Both have inside parking. I have also ridden American Adventure or any of the theater rides let you take the scooter inside.
To my knowledge there is no covered parking in AK or the Studios. Again I ride the rides that let you stay on during the rainstorms. Storms rarely last long.

Walker Mobility does advertise water resistant scooters but I still cover it if it is threating rain. Sorry for the spelling errors. We are at WDW now and my spell check is not working.

I bought a fairly heavy-duty shower cap at Walmart for maybe $5 which I used over the controls. It lasted whenever I needed it during our 10 day August trip. I also bought a couple plastic picnic tablecloths at the dollar store. Those were great even if I was driving in the rain to get to shelter since I could cover the basket contents and my lap. I wore my poncho too and my family was piling things onto the floor of the scooter too which the tablecloth covered. I was quite a sight i'm sure :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter