What to do with wheelchairs/walkers on airplane?

Maryrachel713

Mouseketeer
We're heading for a Wonder cruise to Alaska at the start of July. My mom was in a serious accident (car broadsided her while she was riding her bike to the pool) back in October. She is healing pretty well, but we know for sure we need the wheelchair for longer periods (she weighs 100 pounds, my kids can push her). She can and should be walking too, so we want to bring the walker, particularly since it also kind of protects her. I know we can gate check, but do we gate check both? I used to use car seat bags, do I need a bag or anything? Will they take a walker and a wheelchair? (And does one of us just carry it through the airport to the gate?

Any other things we should know about navigating a cruise with a disability would be helpful! She is able to walk without either, but not for very long.

My best advice is look online for the airline. I would believe you could bring them both to the gate and gate check them there. We fly with a wheelchair for my Mom. Typically, we have been flying Delta. I always check off online that we will have a wheelchair and that assistance may be needed, but that she can transfer to walk down the plane aisle to her seat. I usually then still call the airline's special support line for disabilities. The airline will most likely want the dimensions of the mobility device as they want to be sure it will fit through the doors of the holds. Delta has a form that it says we need to complete and bring with us to the plane, but they never actually ask for it. Once at the gate, I will take our Delta tag (just keep the same one on from previous trips) and have them update it for our current flights. It is hard plastic tag and they just re-scan it.

One question to think about (especially for seating)... If she needs to use the bathroom during the flight, will she be able to walk down the aisle to the bathroom without an aid of some sort? My mom brings her cane and I always walk down the aisle with her to the bathroom, but sitting towards the back puts her a lot closer with less rows to walk back and hopefully less of a chance of a long line since we can see it easily before getting up.

I know we can gate check, but do we gate check both?
Yes. Depending on airline, they MIGHT HAVE a closet on board that can hold a FOLDING Wheelchair instead of having to put it underneath. (Call your airline for info or go on Seat Guru to see if the particular plane(s) you’re flying on have this.)

I used to use car seat bags, do I need a bag or anything? Will they take a walker and a wheelchair? (And does one of us just carry it through the airport to the gate?)
It would be a “Safety Net” to have a wheelchair bag to protect it from mishandling (and to protect the paint). Some manufacturers DO offer bags for this reason.) And you can stow the bag underneath the chair or drape it over the backrest so it’s one less thing to carry.

IMG_6237.jpeg

Any other things we should know about navigating a cruise with a disability would be helpful! She is able to walk without either, but not for very long.
Do you have an accessible stateroom? The doorways into the standard cabins are narrow (maybe 23"?) and most wheelchairs are too wide, but if hers folds and she can walk the bit of distance to the bed she may be ok. There won't really be space to use the wheelchair a within a regular stateroom, and it could be tight with a walker.

Even if she'll be fine in a regular stateroom, I suggest contacting DCL Special Services to have the reservation noted.

The elevators can be busy, midship moreso than forward or aft. You may find you need get on one going down just to then ride it back up (or reverse). Forward and aft elevators may be somewhat less of a wait, but obviously might be a longer walk. Also be aware there is a "lip" at some of the exterior doors and it can take a bit of "umph" to get over it.

Are you planning port excursions? Check which ones are accessible. I haven't done an Alaskan cruise, but I know the Caribbean cruises have limited options for accessible excursions.

You may want to see if a handicapped accessible cabin is available because of the bathroom.
The bathrooms all have a bathtub that is fairly high. You have to step up and over the edge of the tub.
The handicapped cabins have a flat open floor.

It would be a “Safety Net” to have a wheelchair bag to protect it from mishandling (and to protect the paint). Some manufacturers DO offer bags for this reason.) And you can stow the bag underneath the chair or drape it over the backrest so it’s one less thing to carry.

Definitely.

When DH first needed a chair, we took his lightweight manual when flying. (We drive with his powerchair in our lift van anymore.)

The last such flight was right after airlines began declaring themselves not responsible for damage to gatechecked chairs.

When we collected his chair, it had clearly fallen off a baggage cart. One wheel had a badly gouged handwheel (the chrome rail you grip to propel the chair) that was so rough the chair was unusable until repaired. That cost us nearly $300 with the airline only reminding us that we knew it was now "at your own risk."

Yeeeahhh. Really heartening to know they value their disabled customers need for a functional chair that much. I've seen military veteran Sen. Tammy Duckworth say her chair has been damaged numerous times by airlines.

Granted, nothing at all may happen, but I heartily recommend any precautions a therapist or medical equipment store might suggest.

We always slap a “Fragile” “This Side Up ⬆️” Sticker on all 4 sides of our wheelchair cover bag. I don’t know if it really makes a difference, but so far so good. I like to think that if someone is loading in a hurry, the Fragile sticker might remind them to keep it upright and be careful. After all, it’s not a suitcase than can be just be jammed in anywhere

Thanks all--she is able to walk a very slow block unassisted, so she can easily make it up and down the aisle (especially with chairs on either side) and we do have a travel chair. We do have an accessible room (only two people in it) so there should be room for her stuff.

She started being allowed to put weight on it end of January and has been in a lot of PT. She is supposed to do stairs and walk unassisted as part of her therapy, but we'll need to chair to get through the airport etc. She can walk fine with a walker so she'd get tired for the really long treks but does not want to be confined to the wheelchair the whole time. She tried and a cane and it isn't an option--she isn't fully healed yet. So we feel like having both is pretty important as she does not want to have to go everywhere in her chair. Our only excursions we checked that is able to transfer from her wheelchair and can walk short distances and confirmed they'll be fine for her.

We're taking Southwest,

Southwest does have a closet in the cabin that they can store a FOLDING wheelchair. That might be better than gate checking it and worrying that the ground crew might drop it. Plus you wouldn’t have to wait for them to bring it up.

Southwest does have a closet in the cabin that they can store a FOLDING wheelchair. That might be better than gate checking it and worrying that the ground crew might drop it. Plus you wouldn’t have to wait for them to bring it up.
Oh good. I'll have to figure out if we gate check the walker or what.

Thanks all--she is able to walk a very slow block unassisted, so she can easily make it up and down the aisle (especially with chairs on either side) and we do have a travel chair. We do have an accessible room (only two people in it) so there should be room for her stuff.

She started being allowed to put weight on it end of January and has been in a lot of PT. She is supposed to do stairs and walk unassisted as part of her therapy, but we'll need to chair to get through the airport etc. She can walk fine with a walker so she'd get tired for the really long treks but does not want to be confined to the wheelchair the whole time. She tried and a cane and it isn't an option--she isn't fully healed yet. So we feel like having both is pretty important as she does not want to have to go everywhere in her chair. Our only excursions we checked that is able to transfer from her wheelchair and can walk short distances and confirmed they'll be fine for her.

We're taking Southwest,
not for walking but she might find a cane helps getting out of boat type rides think Small World as it gives help balancing to step up and out

not for walking but she might find a cane helps getting out of boat type rides think Small World as it gives help balancing to step up and out
She's 90 pounds, so my husband can just pick her up if needed. Unless she shows a lot of improvement on the cane in the next couple weeks, I don't think that'll work. Thats why we want the walker and chair.

She's 90 pounds, so my husband can just pick her up if needed. Unless she shows a lot of improvement on the cane in the next couple weeks, I don't think that'll work. Thats why we want the walker and chair.
I find it helps with balance and I am not sure there is enough room for your husband to pick her up out of boat rides and walker or chair will be up out of the boat. not for more than a couple of steps. not instead but also have in parks

I find it helps with balance and I am not sure there is enough room for your husband to pick her up out of boat rides and walker or chair will be up out of the boat. not for more than a couple of steps. not instead but also have in parks
We're going on a cruise, so I think we'll be ok for that. She can walk around my house and do stairs, they're just tiring.

Gate checking a manual wheelchair isn't that big of a deal. They throw on top of the luggage, like they do strollers. You don't need a bag. Marking it fragile probably won't help. If it's a banged up rental then it won't matter much.

All (US) airlines are required to gate any mobility devices. That includes wheelchairs that are much heavier and more complicated than what you are talking about. They handle much more difficult mobility devices all the time. Both the walker and the chair obviously count.

You could also check them with your luggage, as opposed to gate checking them, and it wouldn't count as luggage4. But I wouldn't do this. If I checked bags, which I don't, picking them up can be a pain. They can put them in random places, like strollers and skis. It's easier to split up and leave someone to get the gate checked wheelchair and someone to handle luggage.

I'd just get a hook or a carabiner and hook the walker to the chair. Roll both to the gate.

Gate checking a manual wheelchair isn't that big of a deal. They throw on top of the luggage, like they do strollers. You don't need a bag. Marking it fragile probably won't help. If it's a banged up rental then it won't matter much.

All (US) airlines are required to gate any mobility devices. That includes wheelchairs that are much heavier and more complicated than what you are talking about. They handle much more difficult mobility devices all the time. Both the walker and the chair obviously count.

You could also check them with your luggage, as opposed to gate checking them, and it wouldn't count as luggage4. But I wouldn't do this. If I checked bags, which I don't, picking them up can be a pain. They can put them in random places, like strollers and skis. It's easier to split up and leave someone to get the gate checked wheelchair and someone to handle luggage.

I'd just get a hook or a carabiner and hook the walker to the chair. Roll both to the gate.
Perfect, thanks. That was our biggest concern. Now we just have to figure out what to do with the walker when we board the boat--probably carry on, but maybe we'll just leave it outside her room; its all the way at the end of the hall.

but maybe we'll just leave it outside her room; its all the way at the end of the hall.
Most if not all cruise lines prohibit leaving items in the halls. Mobility items such as walkers, manual wheelchairs, power wheelchairs and scooters must be taken into the cabin or to a designated storage room. If your device does not fit through the door, someone in your party will have to take it the storage room then go and retrieve it when it is needed to navigate the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter