What to do with Mom's old school ring?

cheriemek

Mouseketeer
My mom passed away and I got her HS ring. It is from the 1950s, and it appears to be a simple gold ring with the HS initials on it. I would never wear this, but it seems callous to sell it for the gold. A friend of mine who brokers jewelry said that it was not cost effective to melt the gold to have it re-set into another ring. Anyone have a suggestion? Perhaps I should just keep it as a memento.

If you had some of her other stuff, you could make a shadow box and display it. Even display her ring with a picture of her with the school if it still around.

if there is a shop in your area that does custom designed jewlery take it and see if they can incorporate it into a piece you would wear. My daughter in law does this kind of work and has created some beautiful pieces.

My mom passed away and I got her HS ring. It is from the 1950s, and it appears to be a simple gold ring with the HS initials on it. I would never wear this, but it seems callous to sell it for the gold. A friend of mine who brokers jewelry said that it was not cost effective to melt the gold to have it re-set into another ring. Anyone have a suggestion? Perhaps I should just keep it as a memento.

I don't know if you have kids, but I was given my grandmother's HS ring (1923) after she passed and it's very precious to me, and I do wear it on special occasions,
or days when I feel I need an extra measure of courage and sass :thumbsup2

Gramma was one of a kind ;)

I'd wear it every day, but I'm afraid I'd lose it- I really don't wear much jewelry anyway... :upsidedow

I think the shadow box idea is really good, too- especially if you are concerned that you might lose track of the ring otherwise.

As a child there was nothing I loved more than going through my mother's jewelry box with her and asking her to tell stories about the pieces- who wore them, occasions and events they wore them to.
That's a great way to learn about family history and help kids feel connected to their family- even those who are no longer with us.

And now I'm feeling an urge to do it again, while I still have my Mom with me and can document the history- on video this time. :goodvibes

If you had some of her other stuff, you could make a shadow box and display it. Even display her ring with a picture of her with the school if it still around.

This is what I was coming in to suggest. A shadow box with some photos and maybe another momento or two.

If you wear jewellry then have it made into something that you will wear. The cost plays no part in that at all....it's sentimental.

I have a client that had a couple of pieces of her mothers melted down into a random blob that is now a pendant....it's really unique and was done inexpensively because no molds or custom work was required.

What would your mother say?

Honestly, my mother was pragmatic. I am sure she would have said, "sell it and buy yourself something you will use."

If it was an item that was meaningful to your mother, then I would keep it.

If, however, it didn't really hold much meaning for your mother and was just something she had sitting around, then I'd sell it. I actually did that with my mother's :rolleyes1 In my mother's case, she didn't care for it and never wore it after high school. It had a chip out of the stone on it that made it even more unappealing.

My mother gave hers to my daughter.
Mom said that my daughter did not get one from high school and she wanted her to have it.

My son's girlfriend was recently given her grandmother's high school ring and was really happy to have it.

So I am thinking that passed down in the family is really nice.
It is not like it takes up much space, you know.

On the hand of a young person, it becomes retro and a conversation piece.

I knew a woman who had a ring made out of her grandparent's gold teeth.
It was odd, but still pretty cool.
Gold is gold.

I sold a ring of my grandmother's given to me after she died to have the gold price. I have always regretted it.:sad2:

I agree with others, maybe pass down to a dd or put on a chain to wear.

If you prefer not to keep it, is the school it is from still around? Maybe they would like to display it. Most schools have a case with old jerseys and trophies as part of the sschool's history. I love looking at the one at our high school. It has been opened since the 70's so I get a kick out seeing some of the pictures!

Kelly

This is what I am going to do with some earrings and evening gloves of my grandma's. She died in February at the age of 90; my grandpa is still alive at age 92. I have their wedding picture that I am going to put in the box too. The earrings are beautiful but very dressy and I freelance from my home. Very little opportunity to wear them.

If you prefer not to keep it, is the school it is from still around? Maybe they would like to display it. Most schools have a case with old jerseys and trophies as part of the sschool's history. I love looking at the one at our high school. It has been opened since the 70's so I get a kick out seeing some of the pictures!

Kelly

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter