What to do with luggage at MCO!?!?

smile4stamps

DIS Veteran
We arrive LATE, after Magical Express stops picking up the bags so we have to pick them up from baggage claim ourselves. Our only option for food is to stop at the Hyatt in the airport (they have a bar and another area that is open till 1am). What can we do with our bags?!?!?! I'm thinking we will have 6-7 bags total. Some big some small!

Thanks so much!!

What will you do if your plane is delayed and you arrive after the Hyatt stops serving food? I'd bring food on the plane and eat and skip the Hyatt.

One option is go get you luggage and shlep it over to the Hyatt. Keep the luggage with you when you eat or see if you can tip bell services to hold your bags.

I guess you could skip getting your luggage. It will go to unclaimed luggage. Not sure if that office will still be open after you finish eating. Does your airline have flights arriving after you'll be finished eating? This would probably work

In addition to bring food for the plane, I'd bring a small amount of food to eat in the room. Arriving late, my goal would be to get to the room ASAP. You could take crackers, cheese spread, tuna, and other similar things.

I am LITERALLY flying across the country. West Coast to east coast! I leave at 12:15pm my time (9:15am EST) and don't arrive till 10:45pm EST. I don't think snacks brought on the plane will be enough... I also can't count on getting anything on my layover as the food in Denver is not very good at the airport near the Southwest arrivals/departures! While we are arriving at 10:45pm is will only feel like 7:45pm to me and 8:45pm to him (he is coming from Denver while I am coming from CA)

There are southwest flights arriving after ours. I was originally booked on one arriving at 11:45pm.

Can you ship some of your luggage?
Can you cut down on the number of pieces, making it easier to shlep what you do have?
On that same vein, will some of the smaller bags fit in the larger one's?
Any of that would make it easier to haul what luggage you do have.
You could also purchase a meal somewhere in your departure airport to take on the plane and eat when you're hungry; and the person boarding in Denver can do the same (two meals) from a venue away from the Southwest gate.
And don't dismiss the suggestion of bringing some non-perishable food to keep in your room - even to eat after you check in.

Can you ship some of your luggage?
Can you cut down on the number of pieces, making it easier to shlep what you do have?
On that same vein, will some of the smaller bags fit in the larger one's?
Any of that would make it easier to haul what luggage you do have.
You could also purchase a meal somewhere in your departure airport to take on the plane and eat when you're hungry; and the person boarding in Denver can do the same (two meals) from a venue away from the Southwest gate.
And don't dismiss the suggestion of bringing some non-perishable food to keep in your room - even to eat after you check in.

I think it would cost an arm & a leg to ship the luggage. I get to check it all free with Southwest.

I would ask my husband to pick up food for us except for the fact that I am surprising him in Denver! (He thinks I am connecting through Las Vegas as that was the flight I was booked on until earlier this week.) We haven't seen each other for over 2 months so I want to surprise him.

I will have some protein bars along but I would just like to have a regular meal with my husband and not something packed in my carry-on. If its our only option we will do that but that is why I posted here. I was looking to see if anyone had experience with dining at the Hyatt when you had your luggage. I was not looking for other alternatives.

Why don't you call the Hyatt and see if their bell services could hold your luggage while you dine or talk to the restaurant directly and see if there is somewhere to put it while you dine. At the late hour you will be there I would not think they would be extremely busy.

I see you're staying at CSR. The Rix is open until 2am and has snacks.

Why don't you call the Hyatt and see if their bell services could hold your luggage while you dine or talk to the restaurant directly and see if there is somewhere to put it while you dine. At the late hour you will be there I would not think they would be extremely busy.

Thank's for the suggestion! I just sent an e-mail and will follow up with a phone call if I do not hear anything.

I see you're staying at CSR. The Rix is open until 2am and has snacks.

Really?!?! I didn't think there was anyplace to get food that late! Is the Rix the grab and go or the Lounge?

In the main terminal there are a few restaurants - Macaroni Grill, Chili's Too - and a food court. But I would be surprised if they were open later than 10:00, other than maybe on weekends. McDonald's would probably be open later than some of the other offerings - Panda Express, Nathan's, Carvel, Sbarro's, Chick-Fil-A (not open on Sunday), Krispy Creme. If you try the food court, there is a "moving sidewalk" that helps with shuffling your bags.

Bring the luggage with you

Sometimes it is Best to have a Plan B

due to variables whilst traveling.

smile4stamps said:
I was not looking for other alternatives.

Of course. My apologies for suggesting ways to make it easier to handle the six or seven pieces of luggage you'll have while you dine.

In the main terminal there are a few restaurants - Macaroni Grill, Chili's Too - and a food court. But I would be surprised if they were open later than 10:00, other than maybe on weekends. McDonald's would probably be open later than some of the other offerings - Panda Express, Nathan's, Carvel, Sbarro's, Chick-Fil-A (not open on Sunday), Krispy Creme. If you try the food court, there is a "moving sidewalk" that helps with shuffling your bags.

From everything I've read everything else closes at 10:00pm. The McCoy's Bar and Grill has a late night menu till 1am according to the Hyatt website.

It's the lounge. Shoot! I just looked at their Disney website and they close at midnight. Sorry :(.

No problem! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Bring the luggage with you

Sometimes it is Best to have a Plan B

due to variables whilst traveling.

I realize there can be variables but provided flights are on time I would really like to have a halfway decent meal upon landing.

Of course. My apologies for suggesting ways to make it easier to handle the six or seven pieces of luggage you'll have while you dine.

My initial question was to inquire if anyone else had done any dining at the Hyatt after picking up their luggage and what they did with it. If that is not how it came across my apologies. I just would like to have a decent meal with my husband and not fast food or a combination of snacks.

What you can do with your bags is take them with you. That, or as someone else suggested, trust that they will be pulled by and held in the Unclaimed Luggage office.

YOu can't count on anything at the airport. I am not sure the Hyatt will even serve you by the time you get the bags etc. And I don't think it's going to be a nice dinner. The bar is open until 1, that means they have drinks. The dinner menu drops SUBSTANTIALLY after about 10 PM

Do not leave your bags at the baggage claim. Because what's going to happen is they will be pulled... and then since you are one of the LAST flights by the time you have this "nice dinner" the agent is going to lock the office and go home. And your bags will be locked up until the next day when you somehow have to get back to the airport to get them.

Your options are (A) pack food on the plane or in one of those 6 to 7 suitcases (For two people?) (B) be less picky and eat in Denver or (C) pick up the ton of luggage and carry it all over the airport with you (you can pay a skycap to haul this luggage too)

You can also consider renting a car for a day and drive to CSR, stopping to eat on the way. There are also a couple of 24-hour restaurants at WDW, I know of Picabu's over at the Dolphin and the Gasparilla Grill over at the GF. MNSSHP goes until midnight so you might be able to catch a bus over to the MK after you check in. I don't know how long the buses keep running after the party but you could also take a cab home. A cab to/from the Dolphin would not be too much since it's very close to CSR.

Your only real option is to take them with you. You definitely do not want to leave them going around the carrousel while you eat dinner - they will either be stolen on locked in the unclaimed luggage office until the next morning and you will be responsible for getting to the airport to claim them.

Don't forget that it's just the bar that will be open. I would check and see what food they offer that late. It's probably going to be mostly appetizers.

I would rather just pick up a sandwich from subway and eat it on the plane.

It sounds like the OP has already decided to dine at the Hyatt.
http://hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/orlan/ORLAN_McCoysLateNightMenu09172012.pdf

Not horrible. Not sure if it's worth lugging luggage....probably nothing open at their resort.

Take your DME luggage tags. Bell services at the Hyatt arranges to get luggage over to DME luggage area. You might be able to tip a bell captain and have them put your bags in the DME system the next morning.

Many of us think the best option is to bring sandwiches on the plane. I think the OP has the next best (to me) option. Different people have different ideas on how to spend time.

I would also make sure there are flights arriving after yours, and late enough so that DME won't assume you have found alternate transporation. Even though DME runs 24/7 if there are no arriving flights I would be concerned they may not have a van/bus ready to take you to your resort when you are done eating.

I know you don't want to hear it but I always bring a soft sided cooler with a nice lunch/dinner for us to eat on the plane. Frozen grapes make a nice ice pack and are allowed by TSA. Nothing like a romantic picnic at 1am in your WDW Resort room, maybe ?

FIWIW - You could also do a grocery delivery and have food, snacks wine beer etc waiting for you when you arrive. Bell services does store perishables in their fridge so everyhing was nice and cold for us when we arrived. Then you could just fix up something fun when you arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter