• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with camera on wet rides?

nursetinagb

Earning My Ears
I originally posted this on a different board but then found this board and it seems like a better place for it so I deleted my first msg.. I think ;) and would love some expert advise

Hello all! We're headed back for a repeat trip and are totally looking forward to finally having warm enough weather to take in splash mtn and kali river rapids!! However, I am equally (or more) excited to finally have a good camera to document our vacation - a nikon 3200 dslr. But now that I have this new toy I don't know where I should store it for safe keeping on these wet rides.....

I originally posted this on a different board but then found this board and it seems like a better place for it so I deleted my first msg.. I think ;) and would love some expert advise

Hello all! We're headed back for a repeat trip and are totally looking forward to finally having warm enough weather to take in splash mtn and kali river rapids!! However, I am equally (or more) excited to finally have a good camera to document our vacation - a nikon 3200 dslr. But now that I have this new toy I don't know where I should store it for safe keeping on these wet rides.....

Either leave it with a non-rider (obvious answer, but had to put it) or get a plastic bag to put it in. For Kali you'll need something thick and strong, but for Splash Mountain I usually just get a bag from a gift shop, stick my camera in that and put it in my bag, and that's fine.

I normally put my camera back into the camera bag.

For Kali, there is a storage area in the middle for everyone to put things into. It's not a large space but if you have a small/medium camera bag, it will fit. Just.

For Splash, I will place the bag on my feet; just to keep it off the normally wet floors.

The alternative is to keep the camera out, get one of those special plastic sleeves for the camera, and take pictures whilst on the rides.

Have fun!

I put it in a plastic shopping bag. Most of the time we just put everything we don't want wet... phones, hats, camera, etc... into the bag. Of course I always get stuck holding the bag.

A very large ziplock works for smaller bodies and lenses.

Kali is really the only ride I would worry about having your camera sealed into something. All the others I keep it out but keep covered with one of these.

Put the camera in your bag and you'll miss lots of interesting ways to play with your camera.

Crazy Hair Day at Splash Mountain by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I typically travel with a backpack of some kind. On Splash I simply use my backpack as a shield during the wet moments. I don't really overthink it. It's a simple solution that works.

As for Kali... I've never gone on Kali and never will. But I'd suggest making sure you have your camera put away and well wrapped and sealed. I understand the ride is very wet which is why I simply will not ride it.

Or you could just get a Weather Sealed camera like a Pentax! :rotfl2:

There are supposed to be locker rentals available at kali.

With my point and shoot and iPhones, I've always double Ziploc-bagged them, and the center compartment has always done very well (even one compartment with a torn cover flap) The Ziploc bags are also part of my rain gear (that is always necessary in Fla)

On splash, I'd avoid the front row ;) there are lockers at the front of the MK if you are worried enough.

I typically travel with a backpack of some kind. On Splash I simply use my backpack as a shield during the wet moments. I don't really overthink it. It's a simple solution that works.

As for Kali... I've never gone on Kali and never will. But I'd suggest making sure you have your camera put away and well wrapped and sealed. I understand the ride is very wet which is why I simply will not ride it.

Or you could just get a Weather Sealed camera like a Pentax! :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: Since I shoot Pentax, that was going to be my answer!:rotfl2:

On Kali, I put on a poncho with the camera under that. Everybody on the raft all laughed until they got soaked and I pretty much stayed dry! On Splash, I just mounted a WR lens, but if I wasn't shooting I would just put it under my shirt. I've never found that there was that much water on Splash.

I typically travel with a backpack of some kind. On Splash I simply use my backpack as a shield during the wet moments. I don't really overthink it. It's a simple solution that works. As for Kali... I've never gone on Kali and never will. But I'd suggest making sure you have your camera put away and well wrapped and sealed. I understand the ride is very wet which is why I simply will not ride it. Or you could just get a Weather Sealed camera like a Pentax! :rotfl2:

Sure I'll get right on that new camera idea! I don't think my husband would be on board tho since this one's barely outta the box!

A cautionary tale...

I packed my first dslr in a camera bag and stowed it under my knees when I went on the (now no more) Jaws ride at Universal. I was hit by an unusual wave in the final scene and was totally soaked. When I opened up my camera bag I found a very dead camera.

Having been on the ride again, I have never seen such a drenching occur but obviously it can happen.

The plus side, when I claimed on insurance, I had to get my camera evaluated at a UK camera chain store (Jessops). I shoot Pentax (it was a non-waterproof model) and the store manager was not familiar with the Pentax brand so he over evaluated its worth allowing me to claim and get a much better (and WR model)

I had ours in the camera bag (backpack) which I wore underneath a poncho for the really wet rides. I had no issue with it getting wet.

Kali is really the only ride I would worry about having your camera sealed into something. All the others I keep it out but keep covered with one of these.

Put the camera in your bag and you'll miss lots of interesting ways to play with your camera.

Crazy Hair Day at Splash Mountain by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Haha, still one of my all time favorites posted on the DIS since I've been on here!!

I took up your recommendation about 18 months ago and bought a few of those rain sleeves and cannot tell you how many times I've been out with someone or others, taking photos and pulled it out of the bag as the heavens opened to the sounds of "Hey!! Cool! Where'd you get THAT from?" Aha! I know someone smart :rotfl2:

Haha, still one of my all time favorites posted on the DIS since I've been on here!!

I took up your recommendation about 18 months ago and bought a few of those rain sleeves and cannot tell you how many times I've been out with someone or others, taking photos and pulled it out of the bag as the heavens opened to the sounds of "Hey!! Cool! Where'd you get THAT from?" Aha! I know someone smart :rotfl2:

Thanks Tiggies! :goodvibes And I'm so glad the rain sleeves have worked out for you. I never shy away from taking my camera out on iffy days as long as I have one of those in my bag.

I actually double bagged mine in ziplock's as I am a bit paranoid...

For my Nikon DSLR I bought Square Trade warranty !

with
ABOUT ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING (ADH) COVERAGE: •If you purchased Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Coverage, the Protection Plan includes damage from item drops, liquid spills, or other accidental damage.
•If you purchased your Protection Plan the same day as the item, your ADH coverage begins one (1) day after your Protection Plan purchase.
•ADH does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft, or loss.
My Sony camera got wet and within 5 days I was given $200 as it could not be fixed!
One great company :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter