• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do/see/photograph in Boston.

annnewjerz

If I had a world of my own, everything would be no
Update: This is just an edit/update to my original post about the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park.

I GOT TICKETS!! :woohoo: :woohoo: They're in Bleacher 40, so not super fantastic seats---but seats none the less.

So, anyone who lives around Boston or has been there before, what should I be on the look-out to see and shoot? We are up in MASS pretty often, but have never gone into Boston itself.

We'll be up there from December 31 to January 3 and I know it'll be cold, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of what Boston has to offer. We'll be staying in the Quincy Market/Boston Commons area of town, so a pretty central location to what I understand to be common tourist stops.

Looking for suggestions on:
- What there is to do New Year's Eve
- Good toursity things to make sure we see
- Things we can walk to from our hotel if we just feel like getting out
- Things not to miss shooting

Kyle, I know I've seen shots you've taken in/around Fenway---will bringing an SLR into the game be a problem?

Okay okay, I know this should be on the Community Board, but you guys are just so darn helpful.

I'm wanting to get my DH tickets to the 2010 Winter Classic as his Christmas gift this year since he is a huge Flyers fan. Unfortunately, it seems that I didn't win the lottery that they were using for purchase of said tickets---so I wanted to post to see if anyone is/knows a Flyers or Bruins season ticket holder that has tickets they would like to sell.

If so, I'm looking to get some! :hyper: :hyper: The game will be taking place on New Year's Day at Fenway Park.

Everyone from the DIS has always been so helpful in the past, so this is no different, right?? :thumbsup2

Wow..... lofty goal there Ann. I can tell you that EVERY event at Fenway Park over the last 6 or 7 years has been sold out.... Red Sox, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews, U2 and sold out FAST.

Stub Hub does have tickets for the game. Prices start at $295 for bleacher seats. This is a HUGE ticket item in Boston. Also its over New Years weekend. Boston puts on a pretty big New Years bash. Not New York big, but still pretty big, so hotels will be pretty expensive too.

I don't know of anyone that has tickets, if I come across anyone I'll pass along the info.

Wow..... lofty goal there Ann. I can tell you that EVERY event at Fenway Park over the last 6 or 7 years has been sold out.... Red Sox, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews, U2 and sold out FAST.

Stub Hub does have tickets for the game. Prices start at $295 for bleacher seats. This is a HUGE ticket item in Boston. Also its over New Years weekend. Boston puts on a pretty big New Years bash. Not New York big, but still pretty big, so hotels will be pretty expensive too.

I don't know of anyone that has tickets, if I come across anyone I'll pass along the info.

Oh trust me, Kyle---I'm getting tickets!!!

I have paid a hefty price for tickets before ($400 per ticket) and am willing to do so again, just would prefer not to. ;) I have a hotel booked and my finger on the trigger for the $300 per ticket seats in bleachers 43, just thought it might be best to hold off a day or two to see if I can get them anywhere else for cheaper.

If you do know of anyone who has them and don't want to jump on them first, definitely let me know. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend (albiet a cold one, I'm sure) in Boston!

If you end up with a few spare minutes, go check out the MAPARIUM. I won't tell you what it is, because that would ruin it, but it's neat.

I'm very sorry, but you'll have to find out where it is, I really don't remember. But it is a VERY cool thing to check out. It does NOT take much time to see, so if you're in that neighborhood ... go for it!!

Ann,

I have spoken with the people at Fenway on numerous occasions and their policy is that ANY camera is allowed so long as it does not interfere with another fans experience of the game. In other words, don't bring a monster huge lens like you see the sports photographers using on the sidelines! MOST of us don't have the extra $6000+ for those lenses so you are probably safe with whatever you bring.

As far as what to see in the freezing weather? That is a tough one. Quincy Market is nice at that time although it is most ly an outdoor mall type place. I suppose it is outdoor/indoor. Also a place that we find sort of fun around the holidays is the Prudential Center. Again, just a large mall but it is cool. A link is here:

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/

The Freedom Trail has a lot of historic sites along it. If dressed properly it should be too bad a walk. Mike's Pastries, in the North End, is a must for dessert:) The Freedom Trail goes right near there. We walked the trail for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. I live 30 miles from Boston, my DD goes to Boston University and I rarely get into town.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/

That is awesome. I am so jealous. If you get cold, you can burn my Hurricane season tickets for warmth. Oh, the question is what to shoot in Beanie Town.

Near the Parker House Hotel and Boston Common, you have some old churches and cemetaries. Very cool to shoot. North End is good. I recall some markets near Faneuil Hall. Not sure what it like in winter, though. Take a train to Harvard. Plenty to shoot there. Newbury street has tons of shops with older store fronts.

Did I say I was jealous. If I was not going to Disney a few weeks earlier, I would have to grab my hockey fight loving, goal celebrating 11 year old DD and road trip.

Chuck

I'll be at the BC-BU hockey game at Fenway around that time!

As for things to see:

1. Do the freedom trail. It goes right through Quincy Market. You see the Common, the State House, the graves of Paul Revere, Sam Adams, John Hancock, and the Boston Massacre victims, and it ends at "Old Ironsides" (The USS Constitution). It is a nice walk and has plenty to photograph along the way.

2. The New England Aquarium is fun and indoors. It is also a challenging place to photograph (practice your manual focusing).

3. If you're traveling with kids, the Museum of Science is fun.

4. If you are beer drinker you could go to the Sam Adam's Brewery in Jamaica Plain or the Harpoon Brewery.

5. If it was warmer weather I would recommend a whale watch or a trip to the harbor islands...

6. As for shopping as mentioned above, check out the Prudential Center (North America's largest Apple Store is across the street), Copley Place, Quincy Market, and of course, Newbury St.

7. I'll keep thinking of ideas but see you soon!

Wish I had tickets to the game. (To be fair, I was at the "Cold War" Michigan State-Michigan game back in 2001 which started the recent spate of outdoor hockey games. It was way cool.)

A few of things I haven't seen mentioned yet:
1) The North End (particularly Hanover St): Italian neighboorhood which also has Paul Revere's house and The Old North Church. The Freedom Trail does run through it.
2) Harvard Square and adjacent Harvard Yard: Interesting neighborhood, good photo ops around the yard.
3) If you're near Copley, take a look in the main library, especially the courtyard.
4) Charles Street (and the surrounding Beacon Hill area) has a very nice "old" feel to it. (It's right near the Bull & Finch (the original Cheers) if you're into that.)
5) If you down near Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, take a couple of minutes to check out Rose Kennedy Greenway, which is a result of the Big Dig putting the Southeast Expressway underground. (You'll cross the park if you want to the North End.) Keep in mind a highway used to run here.
6) If into modern art, the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) is supposed to be quite something. If you're into older art, the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) is quite nice as well. (The MFA is running an Egyptian special exhibit through May 16.)

Enjoy your trip.

There is so much to see and do right in that area.

I agree with dressing really warmly and trying to do the Freedom Trail. You can stop for hot toddies and bites of food at different places along the way and you'll have tons of photo ops. That would be great fun. You might want to read up a little on the historic buildings of Boston before you go so you know what to look for and what the significance is of what your shooting (something I had to do myself even after a lifetime of passing certain buildings).

You have to get over to the North End of Boston, just a quick jaunt from Fanueil Hall over the aforementioned Rose Kennedy Greenway and keep walking. Anyplace you go pretty much is going to have great food. Read some reviews ahead of time to see what type of restaurant you might like the best. From there, try to head north and walk over along the Charles River by the Coast Guard station and you'll have great views of the Charlestown Navy Yard and Old Ironsides, and the Zakim Bridge looking to your left. Very nice at night (bring tripod). Be sure to try out one of the public toilets that cleans itself. :lmao: Just walk around, look at a map, it kind of goes in a semi circle. (Wintertime's still fun, but summertime in Boston is even more fun. They have some bus-type tours I don't think they run in the dead of winter, like the Ghosts and Graveyard tours, but if they do, try to catch one of those!)

You might enjoy catching a show at the IMAX theater at the Aquarium, see what's playing.

If you go to the Prudential Center you could have a drink or eat at The Top of the Hub restaurant, which is at the top of the Prudential. I'm not sure if you can still go up to the observatories at either the John Hancock or Prudential Buildings, but if you can, both of those are fun.

There's lots more to do in Boston, but those activities right where you're staying ought to keep you pretty busy. You're gonna love it. :goodvibes

If you end up with a few spare minutes, go check out the MAPARIUM. I won't tell you what it is, because that would ruin it, but it's neat.

I looked it up---very cool! Thanks for the suggestion. :goodvibes

Ann,

I have spoken with the people at Fenway on numerous occasions and their policy is that ANY camera is allowed so long as it does not interfere with another fans experience of the game. In other words, don't bring a monster huge lens like you see the sports photographers using on the sidelines! MOST of us don't have the extra $6000+ for those lenses so you are probably safe with whatever you bring.

As far as what to see in the freezing weather? That is a tough one. Quincy Market is nice at that time although it is most ly an outdoor mall type place. I suppose it is outdoor/indoor. Also a place that we find sort of fun around the holidays is the Prudential Center. Again, just a large mall but it is cool. A link is here:

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/

Thanks Andy! I'm glad to hear I won't have any problems with my camera---although I must admit, I may not bring it. I'm going to have blankets and hot drinks to manage, my camera may just be one too many things to deal with.

As far as the Prudential Center, we'll be there! We're going to eat at the Top of the Hub for dinner one night and from what I hear it's a fantastic view, I'm looking forward to it. :thumbsup2

The Freedom Trail has a lot of historic sites along it. If dressed properly it should be too bad a walk. Mike's Pastries, in the North End, is a must for dessert:) The Freedom Trail goes right near there. We walked the trail for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. I live 30 miles from Boston, my DD goes to Boston University and I rarely get into town.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/

The Freedom Trail was something on my list, I think it'll just depend on how cold we are that day. As far as Mike's Pastries, our neighbor who was born and raised in Boston swears that you shouldn't go to Mike's. She says if you want really great Italian dessert you should go to Bovas? I'm not sure of the spelling but if we're up there I may just have to try both so I can report back which one was better. ;)

That is awesome. I am so jealous. If you get cold, you can burn my Hurricane season tickets for warmth. Oh, the question is what to shoot in Beanie Town.

Near the Parker House Hotel and Boston Common, you have some old churches and cemetaries. Very cool to shoot. North End is good. I recall some markets near Faneuil Hall. Not sure what it like in winter, though. Take a train to Harvard. Plenty to shoot there. Newbury street has tons of shops with older store fronts.

Did I say I was jealous. If I was not going to Disney a few weeks earlier, I would have to grab my hockey fight loving, goal celebrating 11 year old DD and road trip.

Chuck

I'm sure if nothing else, it's going to be a memorable event to go to. I doubt it'll be a good hockey game in terms of the view---but we'll be talking about it for years.

What week are you going to The World? We'll be down there Dec. 12-18th---can't wait!! :woohoo: :yay:

1. Do the freedom trail. It goes right through Quincy Market. You see the Common, the State House, the graves of Paul Revere, Sam Adams, John Hancock, and the Boston Massacre victims, and it ends at "Old Ironsides" (The USS Constitution). It is a nice walk and has plenty to photograph along the way.

2. The New England Aquarium is fun and indoors. It is also a challenging place to photograph (practice your manual focusing).

3. If you're traveling with kids, the Museum of Science is fun.

4. If you are beer drinker you could go to the Sam Adam's Brewery in Jamaica Plain or the Harpoon Brewery.

5. If it was warmer weather I would recommend a whale watch or a trip to the harbor islands...

6. As for shopping as mentioned above, check out the Prudential Center (North America's largest Apple Store is across the street), Copley Place, Quincy Market, and of course, Newbury St.

7. I'll keep thinking of ideas but see you soon!

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions.

We are not traveling with kids (don't have any yet), so no Museum of Science this time---but the Sam Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain was on our list. My co-worker went to school in Boston and said he loved the tour, went a few times. Looking forward to it!

Wish I had tickets to the game. (To be fair, I was at the "Cold War" Michigan State-Michigan game back in 2001 which started the recent spate of outdoor hockey games. It was way cool.)

A few of things I haven't seen mentioned yet:
1) The North End (particularly Hanover St): Italian neighboorhood which also has Paul Revere's house and The Old North Church. The Freedom Trail does run through it.

3) If you're near Copley, take a look in the main library, especially the courtyard.

4) Charles Street (and the surrounding Beacon Hill area) has a very nice "old" feel to it. (It's right near the Bull & Finch (the original Cheers) if you're into that.)

6) If into modern art, the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) is supposed to be quite something. If you're into older art, the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) is quite nice as well. (The MFA is running an Egyptian special exhibit through May 16.)

Enjoy your trip.

The Old North Church is something that our neighbor insisted we see (I think, is that the place where he hung the lanterns?). She said it's cool to see it in the middle of a whole crap load of shiny new financial buildings.

We do plan to have a drink at Cheers. I mean c'mon---it's Cheers! I've heard it looks nothing like it did on TV (which was to be expected) but taking a picture with the sign for the bar is a must-do for us.

We will definitely be going to the MFA if I can drag DH, not because I am a huge fan of Modern Art, but because on New Year's Eve they are offering free admission and since we don't have much planned---I figured we'd pop in to keep warm for an hour or two.

There is so much to see and do right in that area.

I agree with dressing really warmly and trying to do the Freedom Trail. You can stop for hot toddies and bites of food at different places along the way and you'll have tons of photo ops. That would be great fun. You might want to read up a little on the historic buildings of Boston before you go so you know what to look for and what the significance is of what your shooting (something I had to do myself even after a lifetime of passing certain buildings).

You have to get over to the North End of Boston, just a quick jaunt from Fanueil Hall over the aforementioned Rose Kennedy Greenway and keep walking. Anyplace you go pretty much is going to have great food. Read some reviews ahead of time to see what type of restaurant you might like the best. From there, try to head north and walk over along the Charles River by the Coast Guard station and you'll have great views of the Charlestown Navy Yard and Old Ironsides, and the Zakim Bridge looking to your left. Very nice at night (bring tripod). Be sure to try out one of the public toilets that cleans itself. :lmao: Just walk around, look at a map, it kind of goes in a semi circle. (Wintertime's still fun, but summertime in Boston is even more fun. They have some bus-type tours I don't think they run in the dead of winter, like the Ghosts and Graveyard tours, but if they do, try to catch one of those!)

You might enjoy catching a show at the IMAX theater at the Aquarium, see what's playing.

If you go to the Prudential Center you could have a drink or eat at The Top of the Hub restaurant, which is at the top of the Prudential. I'm not sure if you can still go up to the observatories at either the John Hancock or Prudential Buildings, but if you can, both of those are fun.

There's lots more to do in Boston, but those activities right where you're staying ought to keep you pretty busy. You're gonna love it. :goodvibes

:faint:

All of these suggestions are making me tired just looking at them!!

We are planning to eat at the Top of the Hub restaurant. Apparently they have an awesome dessert that's just a plate of hot fresh-baked cookies served with milk that an attorney I work with highly recommends.

I didn't see anything about bus tours (I'll have to look into it) but I did look into the Duck Tours that they run around Boston and it seems like those take place all year round. Most of the stuff I am looking to do on the cheap or for free (like walking tours, tours of the public library, etc.), but if there is a really good city tour/ghost tour/etc. I'd be willing to pay for that.

I'm not sure I'll love Boston, but I'm hoping I will. I hate cities in general---they're just dirty, crowded, expensive, etc. but I'm going with an open mind. :thumbsup2

Thats funny. I have never heard of anyone that said DON'T go to Mike's! I have friends that will drive from NH in rush hour traffic just to get pastries from there. I've only been twice and the only problem I've seen with Mike's is that it can get crowded. I am sure there are other pastry shops that are good also, tho.
The Duck Tour is fun but it may not be open at the time you are going.

Oh and its not necessary to pay for the Freedom Trail tour. You can go online and print a map and walk it on your own, at your own pace.

Toruisty things to do in Boston. Gezzz... I guess I look at it differently having worked in the city over three different jobs spanning about 6-7 years.

I'll go with things I like:

I love Boston Beer Works across the street from Fenway Park (also one in the North Station area). They make their own beer on site and have pretty good food.

I did the Sam Adams Brewery tour recently for the first time. Kind of out of the way, but a nice little tour. Sampling the beer at the end is the best and they are going to start selling limited edition brews in their gift shop sometime this month.

I've done the Boston Duck tours. Probably the best of the city tours, but in the winter maybe a little cold. Those kind of tours (no matter what city) are best in the warmer months when the windows are open.

Walking up and down Newbury St can be fun. Lots of high end shopping (our version of Rodeo Drive) and some cool places to eat.

Boylston St around the Pru has some nice bars for the night time drinking portion of your trip. Same goes for the Fanieul Hall/Quincy Market area. A buddy of mine got some real nice night shots of Quincy Market during the colder months. Not as many people walking around so no one to get in your way.

If you'd like to get some cityscape shots... You can take the Red Line to the MGH stop (I believe the is the closest) and walk across the Longfellow Bridge. Nice shots looking over at the Hancock Tower (especially in the morning as the sun will shine up the buildings nicely). Then walk all the way across and venture up Memorial Drive. Nice wide shots looking at the city from Cambridge.

I also like going over to the Hyatt Logan Airport. There is a harbor walk with some GREAT views of the city. (you can take the Blue Line to the airport stop, but may have to taxi over to that hotel, parking there is crazy unless you buy a drink at the bar and get validated).

A harbor tour no matter what time of year is recommended. I love seeing Boston from the water. GREAT views.

The Make Way For Duckling's statues are in Boston Common. They are in the corner across from "Cheers". I like Cheers. Outside is obviously the same. Inside is WAY different. But there is good food (Loved the potato skins, but that was quite a few years ago).

If you don't do the Maporium, do go to that area (walking is best, parking around there sucks). Some great views with the Pru behind it and the reflection pool from the Christian Science Center. I've wanted to head over there with my camera, but haven't had a chance yet.

I haven't "done" the Freedom Trail, but I have been around most of it at various parts. It is pretty long (I think 3 or so miles). To do it all at once is a daunting task, at least walking wise.

The Leonard P Zachim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge (or just the Zachim Bridge to make it easier) is fun to photograph at night. You can pretty much walk around it from the North Station area and then walk across the locks to Cambridge. There is a small park on the other side of the river (perfect spot to use your UWA lens) and near the Marriott Cambridge. Then its a short walk to see the USS Constitution, however, the ship is undergoing renovations and all the masts are off. Don't know when they're going back up.

Oh, the other spot I like to get great shots of the Zachim is a little park across the street from the Museum of Science. Either from the park itself or under the train bridge. I have a shot from there on one of our walls that is enlarge to 20x30. Looks real nice.

I may be up for going out on a Saturday night for some photography and a beer. Let me know as it gets closer and we'll see what we can do.

As far as Mike's Pastries, our neighbor who was born and raised in Boston swears that you shouldn't go to Mike's. She says if you want really great Italian dessert you should go to Bovas?

I would NOT skip Mike's while in Boston. The cannolis alone would be worth the drive!! Modern has fantatistic cannoli's too. Next trip, we're just going to walk around the North end collecting cannolis! Mama Anna's red sauce is great and reasonably priced dishes, it's family run and onto it's 3rd generation running the restaurant and making the sauce.

Oh yeah, this was a photography question, not a food question!
The buildings, the waterfront, Fanneuil Hall, and people will give you all day long photograhic opportunities.

Ah, Mikes. It sure looks and feels like a real bakery there. And it's nice and centrally located... But we prefer Bova's too. :rotfl:

Methinks you should try both, form your own opinion and report back here. :idea:

Annewjerz said:
I'm not sure I'll love Boston, but I'm hoping I will. I hate cities in general---they're just dirty, crowded, expensive, etc. but I'm going with an open mind.
Crowded and expensive, sure. Dirty? Not really. It's just a cool, fun city loaded with history. :goodvibes

I'd have to agree. Its not a dirty city and loaded with history. Its small and quite walkable.
Boy, Sounds like I need to try Bova's next time I'm in town! Also, I've been told that there is a restaurant called Galleria Umberto(@289 Hanover St) that is really good- I've never been so I can't comment myself. There is no shortage of restaurants, that is for sure.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/galleria-umberto-boston
http://www.northendboston.com/dining-restaurants.htm
http://www.northendboston.com/dining-bakeries.htm

I never spent a lot of time in the North End. Been a few times, but thats about it. Mike's is probably the most "Touristy", but there are plenty of others that are just as good and not as crowded.

Another area to check out... Beacon Hill/Back Bay. Thats where "Cheers" is located. Walk up Beacon Street a bit towards the capital. On the left as your walking is a great area for "old" Boston. Acorn St is in that area. Brownstones built on top of each other with those tiny doors that seem to head into the ground all built on the hilly streets of that area. Acorn St has cobblestones for the street. That is one of my next stops for photographing Boston. Do a flickr search for Acorn St Boston and you'll see what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter