• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do on rainy days while in WDW?

GoingtoWDWagain

All because two people fell in love.....
Aside from Disney Quest and a movie, what do you do on rainy days @ WDW?

Just wanted some ideas on what to do w/ family on rainy days while in WDW.

Thanks in advance!
:scratchin

Whatever you wish! For the most part (parades and some outdoor shows/attractions) everything continues to roll right along at WDW, rain or shine! Don't let a little rain send you scuttling for cover, be one of the yellow mob and go for it! ;)

If you really don't want to get wet, how about resort tours. When we get tired of being drenched (we go in summer when the rains can be torrential) we hop a bus to a resort and visit the arcades, tour the lobby, visit the watering holes, etc. It's a nice distraction. It can also be a good game to see how many hotels you can visit until the rain ends.

Really though. . .I'd just keep on tourin'! :D

One reason that we like WDW is that there is so much to do even if it rains.

Buy a rain poncho and do the parks. It is much less crowded because the day trippers don't bother coming and most attractions are indoors.

I agree, we don't mind the parks when it's raining either. We go with our poncho's and I carry a plastic bag to put the poncho's in when we are entering an attraction or when it does stop raining. It can get hot with the ponchos when waiting in outdoor covered areas. Most of the attractions are indoors so rarely are they not operating. If you are traveling with small children in strollers this could be difficult and I would also say that Resort hopping, arcades or a special lunch somewhere.

Get wet.. it's fun.. everyone is laughing and wearing ponchos! Some of the best times we have had was "dodging the raindrops".. and like the others said.. you have the run of the place as everyone else is inside somewhere...

We had fun in the rain. Almost all kids like to play in the rain. We did everything we wanted to.::yes::

I agree we do the same thing. Don the walking sandals, put on the rain suits and keep going.

I love riding Kali River rapids in the rain!!

Very few attractions will close, except for outdoor live entertainment such as the parade or Fantasmic! Test Track closes in heavy rain.

I went on the safari once at Animal Kingdom in a downpour and the animals were hilarious!! The ones that like the water were having fun!! The kittys were sitting there looking like drowned rats and very disgusted, but they weren't especially hiding.

It was the best safari I had ever been on!

Carol

We always will try to schedule a character meal or special sit down meal (Biergarten in Germany) if we know its going to be a rainy day to give us a chance to rest and dry off.

One rainy day last August we scheduled a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's and then had dinner at the Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. During the day we explored some of the monorail hotels went shopping in DTD (many of the stores you can walk through without walking outside).

Just get wet. Some of our best times at the parks was when it was raining.Our kids really loved it. Most everything goes on unaffected.Have fun!!

I agree with the others:

DON YOUR PONCHO. And cover your stroller.

Have a blast. In our experience, there are almost no lines in fantasy land when it rains. The jungle cruise boat drivers have new jokes.

A little rain in Disney doesn't get in the way of the Magic.

I also agree with everyone else ---Buy a poncho and enjoy yourself, your at Disney!!!!

Walt'sFan

Sometimes we'll resort hop. :) Just go around visiting all the deluxe resorts and enjoying everything they have to offer. :)

We always take extra shoes... that way we can splash around in the rain and still have dry shoes to change into later!:D

We also pick up ponchos at a sporting goods store at home before we go. We've almost lost each other in the sea of look-alike Mickey ponchos more than once!

Like everyone else says- just keep on playing! The rain won't stop many rides or activities. And everyone else will be having a bad hair day, too!

:crazy:

Originally posted by honeymom
One reason that we like WDW is that there is so much to do even if it rains.

Buy a rain poncho and do the parks. It is much less crowded because the day trippers don't bother coming and most attractions are indoors.

Ditto - we did an E-night in the pouring down rain. I don't think our kids will ever forget riding Big Thunder Mountain in a driving downpour. I know I won't!!

yes, Disney can be fun in the rain if its not too cold.... Something else we've tried in the rain is Disney Quest in Downtown Disney. You pay a flat rate (not cheap though) to get in and there are a few floors of absolutely fun interactive games. We did several virtual reality games and even a live pinball game, where each person gets to be one of the stoppers in the pinball machine. We must have played that one 5 times. There was also a very fun bumper car game where you shoot balls at other cars. The kids (8 and 11) loved our rainy day there. On the very top floor there were other games you payed extra for, we never went there and the kids had a blast. It'st an alternative on a cold rainy day or if you just don't want to get wet!

We either get wet unexpectantly and just enjoy the cool down or we find a resturant and just have a good ole meal enjoying the company of my family

I also love doing the parks in the rain...
raining.gif
No crowds...

If you are worried about rain definitely bring two pair of sneakers. We did Epcot and MK in a cool rain one year (too cool for sandals) and used ponchos and it was fine. But it took our shoes a whole day to dry out so we were soooo glad we had an extra dry pair for the next day!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter