What to do on our first night?

momtoBrandon&Jacob

DIS Veteran
We arrive at about 2:00pm so I figure by the time we're settled and in our room it will be around 4:00ish. Any ideas? I was thinking to go to MK and stay for the fireworks or will that be too much for my 4 and 5 year old after traveling all day?

We get in around the same times as you. What I have planned for our 3 year old is to go to the Chip and Dale Campfire at FW. It is free and he wants to see Chip and Dale anyway. That way we can feel our way around the Resort first and then head over there later in the evening. Have not decided whether to Dinner Reservations as well yet though. Good luck!

Another thing is we will have 7-day park hopper passes and 6-day dining plan so I want to make sure and use them up. I hate having to spend the money and not use it. As I'm sure you all can relate :)

We arrive at about 2:00pm so I figure by the time we're settled and in our room it will be around 4:00ish. Any ideas? I was thinking to go to MK and stay for the fireworks or will that be too much for my 4 and 5 year old after traveling all day?

Where are you staying?

My general advice is to wait on MK until you can get there in the morning. (And, if your kids haven't been to wdw before, you might even want to wait until later in the vacation--let the magic build.)

I would suggest planning something for the evening that is both relaxed, easily changeable, near your resort (so that you can get back quickly if needed), and full of magic.

Some things I'm considering for when we bring our nieces and nephews in 2008 are: Chef Mickey's, O'hana's, Hoop-de-doo, Akershus (I'm not really a big fan of heading to the theme park but we are trying to get a read on the princess need), miny golf, swimming at the resort.... If there is a good character meal near where you are staying, it may make a good intro.

Overall, I am sure you can have a great time regardless of what you do--just be prepared to change your minds if the kids (or you) are tired. Some travel much better than others. If you don't know your family well be prepared to change your minds when you arrive.

On the arrival day of every Disney vacation, we bring the faily to DTD.
We eat at Rainforest and then get some shopping in there. This way there is not too much sensory overload before bed. They will ease into it.
Have fun.

I'm also trying to decide what to do. We will arrive at a similar time maybe earlier. (we are driving) Last year we went to Epcot rode a few rides, walked around WS, ate supper, and then watched Illuminations. This year I'm not sure. I was thinking about Fantasmic. But I also like the DTD idea, we stay at POR so we could take a boat there. :)

Happy Planning

We are generally beat that 1st night after travelling - so we just hang at the resort or head to DTD to Rainforest Cafe or the Leo store. Once we went to MK "just to watch the fireworks" so we said - but of course it was EMH and the kids begged & begged, as tired as they were, to go on everything. We caved & did it, and then got stuck in a huge line waiting for the bus back, and by then we were all DONE. We turned mean & cranky & the kids were unbearable - so we've learned not to push it on that 1st night.

Chef Mickeys is a must with small children and especially if you are on the dining plan! The food is great, there is an abundance of characters (saves you time on pictures in the parks) and it's quite fun watching the monorail zoom in and out of the Contemporary Resort while you eat. We've done quite a few character breakfasts and dinners and I have to give this one high marks. Get a reservation if you still can!

Chef Mickeys is a must with small children and especially if you are on the dining plan! The food is great, there is an abundance of characters (saves you time on pictures in the parks) and it's quite fun watching the monorail zoom in and out of the Contemporary Resort while you eat. We've done quite a few character breakfasts and dinners and I have to give this one high marks. Get a reservation if you still can!

We already have a reservation there for dinner one night. I think we're going to take it easy on the 1st day, enjoy the pool, maybe take the boat to DTD (we're staying at POFQ). I want the kids to rest up for their first big day at the parks.

We are going to hang out around the pool...staying at the yacht club, and then eating at Spoodles at the Boardwalk, and then watch the epcot fireworks from the bridge. This way, we will be ready for the parks the next day, and can just enjoy things around the hotel, weather permitting of course!

We already have a reservation there for dinner one night. I think we're going to take it easy on the 1st day, enjoy the pool, maybe take the boat to DTD (we're staying at POFQ). I want the kids to rest up for their first big day at the parks.

If you're looking for an excursion that's closer than DTD you could also go to the pool at POR.

Hello to my fellow Philly native! I'm from Levittown...

Anyway, how are you getting to the "World"? Are you flying or driving? Will you have been driving the whole day? Depending on your answers to these questions folks can better give you an idea of things to do on night 1.

Normally, we have had a long drive (we stop overnight in Lumberton, NC) and can usually get in to Disney by about 3:00pm or so. From there, we check into our resort and then head out to a dinner reservation. We have enjoyed our first night dinner at Chef Mickeys many times. Plan dinner for around the time Wishes will be shown at Magic Kingdom and take a walk out on the observation deck and check the fireworks.

Have fun!!!!
Sunking

A carriage ride would be nice. The one at Fort Wilderness is good, and then you could have dinner at Trails End, head back to the hotel for a little swim and call it a night.

Hello to my fellow Philly native! I'm from Levittown...

Anyway, how are you getting to the "World"? Are you flying or driving? Will you have been driving the whole day? Depending on your answers to these questions folks can better give you an idea of things to do on night 1.

Normally, we have had a long drive (we stop overnight in Lumberton, NC) and can usually get in to Disney by about 3:00pm or so. From there, we check into our resort and then head out to a dinner reservation. We have enjoyed our first night dinner at Chef Mickeys many times. Plan dinner for around the time Wishes will be shown at Magic Kingdom and take a walk out on the observation deck and check the fireworks.

Have fun!!!!
Sunking

Hi neighbor, I'm from Langhorne! We are def flying. USAIR nonstop from Philly.

We just hang around and explore the resort on our first night there.

On our first day we usually make dinner ressies at 1900 Park Fare:love: and then just take a stroll to down town Disney

I would go to DTD and shop, eat at WPE and then go back to the room to relax and prepare for the first full day at WDW

MY fav. first night at Disney w/ 2 small boys was...
Ohanas dinner, letting them swim at poly (yes DVC benefits, no shredding) while we had a drink, then relax on beach, while they blew off their last bit of energy, and watch the water light parade (drew a blank on the name)! You could do this minus the swim. It was very relaxing and they got a peak at the magic for what was to come the next day! A bit romantic too, if thats possible w/ the boys!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter