• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do on non-Disney days, not too expensive?

kellia

DIS Veteran
We will have 3 full days that we will not go to the parks when we go at the end of Jan. Any suggestions on what to do that isn't "too" expensive? We have kids 5, 5, and 13. Thanks!

I guess you are staying offsite? Where are you staying?

Some Options:

• Hit some mini golf. Disney has a couple and there are some offsite choices.
  • Shopping at Mall of Millennia.
  • Go to Universal CityWalk: After 6:00 p.m. is free parking. There is good shopping and great dinning choices. Also the Loews movie theater. I don't know if they still do this, but a couple years ago you could go during the day and go to the movies, if you showed your paid parking pass you got a free popcorn combo. Don't remember the exact details. DTD also has an AMC Cinema.
  • Drive to one of the beaches near by. At most about an hours drive.

I have been looking into this as well - we have a couple of days to kill at the end of January also! I guess it depends on what your idea of "too expensive" is... Here is what I have found in looking for our family of 5...

If purchased in advance online, Universal offers a 7 day unlimited ticket to Universal Studios, Universal's Islands of Adventure & Citywalk for 94.99 - if you use it all 3 of your days, that's less than 20.00/person. The last time we went to Universal, we spent a full day in each park and another half day prior to our flight. Never made it to Citywalk.

Seaworld offers a Funcard for 74.99 adults, 64.99 for kids which gives unlimited admission for all of 2009.

There is also a Seaworld/Busch Gardens combo for 100.00 good for unlimited admission for 2 weeks from first use.

Wet n Wild offers for 41.95 unlimited admission for 2 weeks from first use. Weather in January can be iffy though...

We enjoyed Silver Springs - it was a nice change of pace from the big theme parks, but your 13yo may be a little bored there. I believe they have one free child ticket with each paid adult ticket (29.00).

My kids also liked spending a few hours at Gatorland - their pricing is around 18.00 and 2nd day is free.

Downtown Disney has Disney Quest - depending on your what type of WDW tickets you have, they may include this.

I could go on and on - lol...

Check out the Orlando Visitors Bureau web site - they have discounted tickets to many attractions in the area and will give you an idea of the lesser known attractions - there are just way too many choices!! They also offer a Go Orlando card which gives admission to a variety of local attractions. I still don't know what we are going to do! lol

Hope this helps at least a little! :)

I have always wanted to go here to pick citrus and get a tour of the groves:
http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/

I have also always wanted to go to the Outta Control Magic Show here:
http://www.wonderworksonline.com/html/default.htm

Even though these are things that I have always wanted to do and we always have 3-4 down days on our trips, my kids are usually content to hang out by the pool and we never make it here. We also go to Downtown Disney one afternoon/evening and the kids all get to pick out one souvenir ($20) and go to Goofy's Candy company to spend ($5). We don't spend park time in the shops so they like to look around down here.

It you don't mind driving to Tampa... at least with our local zoo if we buy a membership to our local zoo we can get into the Tampa zoo for FREE!! You would just need to check out your local zoo's reciprocal list to see which zoo's you can get in for free or at a discount.

You could add the plus features to your Disney tickets for $40-$45 each, and then you could go to the waterparks and Disney Quest.

Alternatively, you could take a day for Downtown Disney, maybe have dessert at the T-Rex cafe and then take a boat ride to one of the resorts (OKW, POR, etc).

It you don't mind driving to Tampa... at least with our local zoo if we buy a membership to our local zoo we can get into the Tampa zoo for FREE!! You would just need to check out your local zoo's reciprocal list to see which zoo's you can get in for free or at a discount.

You can also get a family membership at your local science museum and go to many science museums around the US and Canada for free. We have a membership at our local science museum. For my family of four, it cost about $60 for a year.

On our non-Disney days (when it rained during TS Fay), we went to the Orlando Science Center and also to the MOSI in Tampa for free! With our membership, we've visited many science museums, including the Boston Museum of Science (the very best!), Maryland Science Center (in Baltimore, before a Red Sox-Orioles game), Montréal Science Centre, The Franklin Institute (in Philadelphia).

Here is a listing of science museums that are in the ASTC reciprocal program:
http://www.astc.org/members/pdf/LargePrint1108.pdf

Walking around Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals.
Walking and exploring Ft Wilderness - Horseback riding($$) available, campfires in the evening.
Wilderness lodge - also nice - must see - great place to eat.
Hop on the monorail and explore The contemp/Poly/Grand Flor -- The Mickey Pool // Volcano Pool are nice picture ops.

Head over the Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk area. Rent a surrey bike.

Coronado Springs is a great place to explore too... The pyramid pool is spectacular.

The boat launches too and from Downtown disney for Port Orleans is a wonderful ride too.

There are go-cart places in orlando that my family loves, riding on the boardwalks 3 stories high isn't my cup of tea. Celebration is a quaint little town that I love, they may have a street fair going on. I also like to visit 'backstage'

I had a great time as a teen at the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. I am pretty sure they have discount coupons on the web.

At Windsor Palms you could plan to watch a movie in the clubhouse one afternoon, perhaps swim in the morning.

Other movie theaters are at Downtown Disney and Universal Citywalk.

Other options, go to a local park for a hike / explore the wildlife

Lake Toho has a park area, airboat rides etc.

Old Town Kissimmee is an option for an evening (they have old cars on Fridays I think)

Fun Spot for go kart racing and other amusements.

Another waterpark is Aquatica (they may have some combo deal with Seaworld).

Younger kids should like Green Meadows Petting Farm http://www.greenmeadowsfarm.com/

If I think of any more, I'll add it to the list!

-Kay

+Check out celebration, have coffee or lunch there.
+Gatorland is a paid entry but I thought it was great -- very much a throwback to old florida's kitschy attractions.
+Various Outlet malls
+Old Town is a great way to spend an evening.

>>Believe it or not, the hotel pool can keep our kids busy a week.<<

Very Very true!! The "lets go back and cool off at the pool during midday" plan always turns into the kids never wanting to go back to the parks

Gatorland is great my 7 year son loved it. You can buy your tickets ahead of time on their website. Going on an airboat ride is also great boogy creek airboats

I remember this VIVIDLY from when I was 7 years old!!! We are going to try and hit it, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter