What to do on a day off from parks?

sne26

Mouseketeer
We are going to Orlando in January for a week (well, 6 full days when you factor in travel).

I want to factor in 2 days of "breaks" where we don't go to the parks. I figure we will need it, since our kids are 2 and 4, and my dad is traveling with us.

What else is there to do that is fun around the Disney/Orlando area?

Stacey

Mount Dora is quite cute. It has a quaint downtown area, with lots of little antique shops and restaurants. There is a tea room that looks neat, though we haven't eaten there yet, and there are a few wineries that you can tour. They also do cruises on the lake and Segway of Central Florida has a tour of the town on Segway. We really liked this area.
Cheers!
Heather W

one of those days make it a real rest day - just relaxing, reading books, swimming at your resort.

the other depends upon what you want.

there is a farm pretty close. that your kids might like.

I think they are little young for gatorland.

how about SW?

Mount Dora sound like a place that I would really enjoy, don't know about my kids and husband! I love tea rooms, and wineries! No, I think we would all enjoy something like that- I'm sure we could find something for all of us. I have a husband who actually likes shopping, and the kids like it too since he usually buys them something on each shopping trip!

I'm not too interested in Gatorland for this trip. I don't think my kids would be too young for it- but we just did something like it in Myrtle Beach a month ago. We all enjoyed it, but I'm in no hurry to go to something so similar so soon. (I saw enough gators there to last me awhile!) But definately another trip!

And a real rest day at our resort sounds like a great idea too!

Thanks for the ideas!

Reading your post, I was thinking Gatorland - it would take care of an hour or so on an off day and you wander through at your own pace. I think we took ours when they were preschoolers - I'm thinking they were probably 3, 5, and 7 on that trip. They liked it then and have mentioned it since. Just keep track of them! ;) ;)

a walk round lake eola on the outskirts of downtown orlando is great fun.you can buy food to feed the ducks and swans and there are swan paddle boats for rent. there iis a open air cafe for light refreshments by the waters edge. we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I look so forward to the swiming all day! I like getting up and swiming, and going from the TV in the living room to the pool to the TV to the computer... with no watch and nothing to think about all day! LOL

I think we're definitely doing a swim day too. And probably a beach day. Seeing the ocean on coastal trips is a must for me! And our little boy loves to dig in the sand.

We also like hanging out at the pool for a while and then maybe later in the day walking around the town of Celebration or the Boardwalk and getting an ice cream. If I let my kids swim all day they are more tired the next! They never rest at a pool.

Have a great trip.

heather C

pocohontas2004 said:
Reading your post, I was thinking Gatorland - it would take care of an hour or so on an off day and you wander through at your own pace. I think we took ours when they were preschoolers - I'm thinking they were probably 3, 5, and 7 on that trip. They liked it then and have mentioned it since. Just keep track of them! ;) ;)
How far is gatorland? We will not be renting a car and just wondering if this is something we can get to. My kids would think this is pretty neat. :thanks:

We spend some of our off days at the Disney water parks. My 7 year old daughter loves Blizzard Beach. There are areas that have pools and slides for the younger kids as well. Our next trip (2 weeks long) we are planning three beach days. Two on the west coast and one on the east coast. Cocoa beach is just under one hour from the Disney area. Most likely January will not be ideal weather for either pool or beach so I would also reccomend orange picking at a local orange grove. http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/
You can see on their website what is in season during your trip.

family dinner shows
beaches
outlet shopping
movies
swimming
arcade at Comtempoary (big arcade)
Downtown Disney
Citywalk at Universal-Jimmy Buffetts Margarittaville & others
tour some other resorts- especially at X-Mas - most have small arcades and pressed penny machines

I'll chime in with something completely different...boating! Did you know that WDW has the biggest fleet of watercraft of any entity in the whole WORLD? Bigger than most small countries navies!

You can rent paddleboats, pontoon boats, boston whalers, and mini speedboats and Downtown Disney, the Polynesian, and other locations around the big Disney lake. Also parasailing. We did this once and it was the highlight of our trip...each kid in their own mini speedboat (with parents)....they thought it was the coolest thing ever!!

Here's a link:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...cLanding?id=OtherRecreationLandingPage&bhcp=1

http://www.wdwplanner.com/recreation.htm

Other activities listed include:
Arcades, bike rentals, segway tours, fishing, jogging, kids programs, golf, tennis, marina with watercrafts rentals, parasailing, sailing, miniature golf, playgrounds, Richard Petty Driving Experience (I really want to do this!), Tri-D Circle Ranch and Farm (horseback riding), tennis, volleyball, watersports, diving/snorkeling, and more!

Oh...and for women (or I guess men now too these days)...there are some incredible luxury spas to visit as well!
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/moreMagicGolfLanding?id=SpaLandingPage

That should keep you busy for a month or so! LOL

We always take an "off day" to enjoy the pools at our resort and then drive to Downtown Disney late afternoon or evening for dinner & shopping. We love Planet Hollywood, but for young kids I would recommend Rainforest Cafe, but make ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter