What to do in Lancaster, PA????

karliebug

DIS Veteran
I am taking my girls (16,12) to Lancaster for 2 days. We are going to Sight and Sound Theatre to see the Christmas story and other than the shopping outlets, what else is there? I don't think they are interested in buggy rides/Amish tour stuff. Any suggestions?

It's not in Lancaster, but in Hershey they have a christmas lights display that you can drive through.

Tons of interesting Amish farm tours and stuff. I don't quite see the point of Lancaster if you're not interested in the Amish.

The National Christmas Museum!!!

It's hard to describe and I love, love, love it. The museum is an outgrowth of one man's love of the holiday and it explores all kinds of aspects of the it. The first time I went I was expecting something a wee bit cheesy and silly, which it kind of is, but it's also so much more. I CANNOT stand in the "Woolworth's" without getting a little weepy, seeing all the old-fashioned decorations I remember from my great-grandmother's house. The train exhibit is so fun and there's a collection of creches at the end that show how the Holy Family is interpreted around the world in various media.

I can't recommend it enough.

ETA: If either of your girls are budding engineers or scientists, you might look into "Rough & Tumble" - a museum of steam power. It's more fun than it sounds, I promise! My husband (an engineer) and son totally geek out, but my daughter (whose 7) likes it, too. Many of the exhibits are outdoors and I don't know the winter operating hours, but if it sounds up your alley definitely check it out.

Also, if you have any lingering American Girl enthusiasm (or doll love in general), there's a store nearby Lancaster that has tons of clothes and accessories for 18" dolls, plus lots of items for Madame Alexander and other high-end dolls. The store is called Aimee and Daria's Doll Outlet (dolloutlet.com) and is in Ronks, right on Route 30.

There is Intercourse, PA which has the Kitchen Kettle village. When we went we stayed on a farm B&B and had the country breakfast in the morning and then went and fed the animals and collected the eggs. We went to the train museum and Thomas the Tank Engine store, the outlets and did an Amish tour. If you are near Mount Joy at all, go to Bube's Brewery and Restaurant!

There is Intercourse, PA which has the Kitchen Kettle village. When we went we stayed on a farm B&B and had the country breakfast in the morning and then went and fed the animals and collected the eggs. We went to the train museum and Thomas the Tank Engine store, the outlets and did an Amish tour. If you are near Mount Joy at all, go to Bube's Brewery and Restaurant!

Do you remember the name of the B&B that you stayed at?

Make a run down to Shady Maple Smorg. It is a couple exists east but it is an amazing buffet. People come from 50miles to eat there. Be aware they are not open on Sunday. There is always something going on at Mount Hope, pa ren fair over the summer but they do some pretty interesting things over the winter like a "who-done-it" dinner and some Edgar Allen Poe stuff... Looks like they are doing a Charles Dickens show now.

Make a run down to Shady Maple Smorg. It is a couple exists east but it is an amazing buffet. People come from 50miles to eat there. Be aware they are not open on Sunday. There is always something going on at Mount Hope, pa ren fair over the summer but they do some pretty interesting things over the winter like a "who-done-it" dinner and some Edgar Allen Poe stuff... Looks like they are doing a Charles Dickens show now.

I thought their breakfast was awesome there:thumbsup2 Loved it! The food in lancaster is so delicious!!

Wilbur's Chocolate factory in Lititz is well worth the trip--their chocolate is wonderful! They dip EVERYTHING in chocolate! There's also a pretzel factory nearby--the tour was a little dull, though.

ShadyMaple :thumbsup2 -- My parents make a weekly pilgrimage for breakfast and grocery shopping.

Sight & Sound does a great, unique show. Can't beat the live animals.

Stolzfus Deli in Intercourse has excellent foods. The town of Intercourse is unique and nice, even to just walk around.

The King of Prussia mall is just about an hour away, and has just about every store imaginable.

Kitchen Kettle Village (Mon thru Sat.)
Central Market in downtown Lancaster (tues, friday, saturday)
I prefer Millers Smorg. over Shady Maple

If you don't mind traveling about 45 minutes, there's also longwood gardens and their Christmas lights. (www.longwoodgardens.org). If you decide to do this, get your tix online, because you have to have a timed entry (it's that popular).

We usually stay at the Willow Valley hotel. There are a couple of indoor pools/water parks, bakery and restaurants on site. As a PP said the National Christmas center is awesome!

ShadyMaple :thumbsup2 -- My parents make a weekly pilgrimage for breakfast and grocery shopping.

Sight & Sound does a great, unique show. Can't beat the live animals.

I second or third ShadyMaple. It is maybe a 15-20 minutes drive from Lancaster. The buffet is probably like anything you have ever seen. It is huge! They have pretty much everything you can want.

The gift shop downstairs is equally big. They probably have every knick knack you could ever want.

Eat powdered cream donuts.

Seriously.

I live very close to Lancaster and that's what I do whenever I visit the area.

There's also a huge fish/pet store about 10 minutes from the outlets and they have odd pets like reptiles, spiders, etc. They also have tons of fish. It's fun to walk through there. I think it's called All About Fish.

Yet another Shady Maple fan here...we ate breakfast late (about 10:30) and nothing but a snack after that till dinner. SOOOOO good! :thumbsup2

We did Hershey Sweet Lights years ago and it was so much fun! The Zoo was also open.

We just got back from Lancaster today after spending the weekend. We stayed at Fulton Steamboat Inn - right on Rt 30 by the Rockvale outlets and close to Sight/Sound. It's very nice, clean and has a victorian theme. Fridayy we spent at the outlets and let the kids swim at the indoor pool. Saturday we drove to Hersheypark and then did SweetLights. We would never again do the Hershey trip this late in December - traffic in and around Hershey was horrific - at one point we were sitting for 45 minutes just trying to get out of a parking lot. Sweetlights was bumper-to-bumper. We do this trip every other year but usually go earlier in the month. Still had fun, but way too much holiday traffic. We also love spending a few hours at Shady Maple restaurant and farm market - plus the store across the street - I forget the name now - sort like a Woolworths/farm store combo.

We also love spending a few hours at Shady Maple restaurant and farm market - plus the store across the street - I forget the name now - sort like a Woolworths/farm store combo.

That is Goods & they just remodeled. Very nice now! I live right up the road in New Holland :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter