• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do in LA during an afternoon??

klacey1

DIS Veteran
I'm flying from the east coast to LA for a business trip. I'll land Friday the 14th around noon and leave Monday around 1 p.m. I'll be busy with work stuff most of Saturday and Sunday, but Friday I'll be free the whole afternoon. I'll be staying right near the Staples Center and won't have a car, but I can expense as many cabs as I want. What would be a good way to spend the afternoon in either walking distance or reasonable cab distance from Staples?? It's been freezing in NY and I'd love to spend most of my time outdoors. Not really interested in any museums. TIA for any suggestions!

Hollywood is a subway ride away. About 8 miles from Staples. Griffith Park Observatory is more then just the observatory – great walking about at dusk. Santa Monica Pier is a reasonable cab ride from Staples – about 15 miles.

In/near the Downtown L.A. area - Chinatown, Olvera Street, Little Tokyo, Exposition Park Rose Garden/California Science Center (space shuttle).

Thank you both!! I also have heard the Grove is nice shopping/eating destination. Any opinions? And would it be an easy enough cab or subway ride?
Or maybe Universal Studios? How crowded would it be 3/14 if I arrived around 2 pm? TIA!

Yeah - it's at a museum, but the Space Shuttle Endeavour is at the California Science Center less than 3 miles away. You could also take the LA Metro 81 bus, although I'm not sure if you're OK with taking the bus in LA. It's also in Exposition Park, with the LA Memorial Coliseum and a rose garden. The rest of the California Science Center includes aviation exhibits and a small aquarium.

That place is otherwise free, but the timed ticket for the shuttle is $2. On a Friday you should be able to get that at the window without a reservation. A ticket to an IMAX movie there would come with a shuttle ticket.

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/PlanningYourVisit/Hours/endeavour/endeavour.php
http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/081.pdf

Here's the rose garden with the California Science Center in the background.

The park is fine, but it's across the street from USC. Within those boundaries it's OK, but the surrounding neighborhoods have a certain reputation.

ExpositionPark2-ElliotCarter-2010.jpg

Lawry's Carvery in LA Live is where I eat before kings games. I recommend it. There are too many options to offer for things to do so I'll let everyone else answer.

Thank you both!! I also have heard the Grove is nice shopping/eating destination. Any opinions? And would it be an easy enough cab or subway ride?
It's a mall. The famous Farmers Market is part of it - but it's a mall with your standard shops and restaurants. If that's your thing, it's a nice mall and an easy enough cab ride; but not on the subway line.
Or maybe Universal Studios? How crowded would it be 3/14 if I arrived around 2 pm? TIA!
Universal is an easy subway ride from Staples Center. Closes at 6PM (maybe 7) so you can see the backlot tour and the main rides. Then CityWalk (another mall) and an easy subway (or cab) back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter