What to do for ONE day in Miami?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

going on the 5 night western caribbean cruise out of Miami. when we get back to port we'll be staying one more night in Miami, specifically at the Miami Intercontinental Hotel. I haven't been to Miami in 30 years ... can anyone give any ideas for things for us to do? (DW + DS6)? doesn't have to be elaborate, even a walk through a marketplace or touristy waterfront is fine. If near the Intercontinental Hotel, even better.

Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Everglades by airboat. They drive you to the airport after, if you need transfers.

Bayside is close and a nice marketplace. Also there is Jungle Island, the Miami Sequarium, Barnacle historic site, Coconut Grove shops, the Miami Zoo. Some are farther than others but you should be able to get a shuttle or taxi. If you like gardens the Fairchild Tropical gardens is nice too.

We just stayed at the Intercontinental Miami (at Bayside) last week. They had a nice pool (which we did not explore) and a park for the kids across the street with a nice play area. We found bayside a little touristy for us. Next time we cruise out of miami we would definitely stay there again, but we may look for somewhere to eat other than bayside. I walked around the area and saw some restaurants around bayside blvd. and flagler that looked nice.

There is an area on Lincoln Road not too far from your hotel you can take a cab there.
It is full of restaurants and stores Regal Movie theater as well.
Also a short walk from the ocean.

It is a beautiful area. You can probably google Lincoln Road Miami Beach and see all the options there.

We just got back from there. We spent 2 full days in Miami before the cruise. Here are things we suggest that we did:

Everglades Trip / Airboat Ride...we did the Everglades Safari Park and have all good things to say! The airboat ride was very cool. We had a wonderful (and hilarious) guide. Got to get up close to alligators after plus walk around the park. They even had a restaurant (WONDERFUL catfish sandwiches!). $50 for all 4 of us (with a coupon). It was about 30 min from Miami.

Walk around South Beach. Going down to the water was nice. But if I ever went back (especially during a slow season like right now) go for lunch. All the restaurants on the main drag there were HAWKING for business. We sat down for a lovely breakfast for about $25 for 4 of us...and we had food leftover. I would have gone back for another meal which could have been equally as inexpensive. I didn't expect that.

Bayside Marketplace was OK. Parking is ridiculous at $10. The shopping if fine...there are some interesting vendors in the center (I am not a big shopper but I like the artsy local stuff for gifts). I got several gorgeous pins and necklaces there for gifts that are real orchids dipped in resin. We didn't really eat there, just a snack at Hagendaaz.

Our favorite restaurant we ate at was Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Miami Lakes. It was the best pizza we have ever eaten!

We didn't do Miami Seaquarium because we were doing the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel. But that sounds fun too!

Have fun!
Colleen

Bayside is good if you want to stay near the hotel and do not mind touristy areas.

If you want to venture a bit further out, Miami Seaquarium is nice. Coconut Grove is great to hang out, although a bit on the smaller side as far as shopping and such goes.

And if you want to venture even further out, you can head to Florida City (at the very south end of the FL turnpike) and make a quick visit to Robert Is Here, the most awesome produce stand ever (and they also make the most awesome fresh fruit milkshakes!). There's a nice park right on Biscayne Bay just down the road from Robert's.

I will plug my alma mater and say the University of Miami is a nice place to take a walk around, and they have a lovely (although small) art museum on campus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter