?what to do first night?

jenny-d

Mouseketeer
hi there
I need help figuring out what to do for our first night! Our plane doesn't get in until 3pm so I'm assuming by the time we get to our hotel and get checked in it will be dinner time or later? We are staying at the POFQ. I want to make an ADR for dinner so that we don't wind up having to wait forever at the hotel to eat. Any suggestions of something that would be easy but you can get an ADR for? I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to make it to a park that evening or just have dinner at one of the resorts with an ADR and call it a night. Someone said you might be able to see some of the fireworks at MK from the Contemporary? is that true of the GF too?
thanks so much for your help!!! Jen

We are going to Downtown Disney our first night and having dinner at Earl of Sandwich. I wanted something simple, with no ADR time restraint so we could not be rushed in anyway after a day of travel.

Have you thought about doing a character dinner somewhere so that the kids will really feel that they're at Disney? Maybe LTT or Chef Mickey would be fun... If you did CM you'd be at the Contemporary for the view of Wishes without having to battle the park if that's what you'd like to do...
Just a thought! :sunny:

We are driving and plan to be at WDW sometime in the early afternoon. For our first day there, we plan to check out POP maybe a quick swim, visit DTD and then head to Chef Mickey's for a 7:20 dinner. I think that my boys will excited to see some characters asap.

If you have young children, doing an ADR at Chef Mickey's is always a good idea. but don't underestimate the time it will take you to get there. You have the bus ride...waiting for the bus 1st of course...then catching a monorail to the Contemporary. This should only take about 30mins...but it could be much longer if the buses are running late. Good news is, CM is usually very accomodating if you do run a little late...as we did one time when we had an unheard of 30min wait for a bus!!! I skipped the monorail and sprinted to the Contemporary. LOL. But I digress....

Staying a PO is wonderful. You can easily hop on the boat to DTD (a lovely short ride) and enjoy a carefree dinner at EOS (I second the recommendation given above!!)...and take in a little shopping, maybe some pin trading! :love: Then you don't have to worry about making any particular time as EOS doesn't take ADRs. The foodcourt at POFQ actually was quite good if that appeals to you for "easy" as well. And then your family might have time for a dip in the pool.

Starting the 1st night w/ a char meal is nice...but it does start your vacation running....and sometimes, after a long flight (or drive) it's just nicer to have an easy 1st night...get a good night's rest....and be fresh for a full day in the morning.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. :goodvibes

We did Chef Mickey on our first night a few years ago...the kids LOVED it! The momorail in the hotel, Mickey and friends, mickey shaper macaroni and cheese. It was a big hit all around. Go for it!

We had nearly the same timing. We are going to Hoop Dee Doo Review the day we get to WDW... that way we can see something, but not waste a park pass day.

O'hana at the Poly would be a good choice to see the fireworks. But I would probably go to DTD to eat my first night if staying at POFQ, and then let the little ones swim. Get to bed early then head out early the next day!

If you want to make it an early night I'd take the boat over to DTD and eat there. You can shop at WOD (how much more magical can you get), go over to the Lego store, and visit Goofy's candy shop. Some nice places you can make an ADR for at DTD are Wolfgang Puck Cafe and Planet Hollywood. We always make a reservation for RFC at DTD (even though it isn't on the dining plan - kids love it). I think you have to call and make the reservation about 30 days out.

We'll be getting there the same time on our first day! We planned to head over to MK, go on a few rides, eat at the Plaza rest at 7 and watch the fireworks.
We're switching hotels on the 3rd day. So we figured go straight to the parks and then try to relax (if that's possible :rotfl: ) when we get the BW.
In the past we've gone Downtown and Chef Mickey's. Both are great ideas! Especially CM for that Disney feeling. :wizard:

If it were me and my crew (including DH who hates to travel) I would do Earl of Sandwich. Or food court at resort. No ADR needed so you can go anytime. Make it an early night and settle into the room. If you make an ADR I probably make it after 7pm just to be safe and you might be tired from traveling.

To get the Chef Mickey's you can take bus from POFQ to MK and walk to contemporary from there.

We eat at LTT on our first night - eat, ride a couple of rides, & then find a place on Main Street for Spectro & Wishes w/ a couple of Mickey Bars... :goodvibes

were getting in same time and are going over to epcot
hav adr for le celier! cant wait to go back to the best meal 1st

if all is on time we will have a few hours for a ride or 2 everest and tt

then on to dinner and illuminations

if not dinner and home to po fq

We arrived at 3 pm as well at Sanford airport. We rented our car and checked in at POR with enough time to grab a cs and head to MK for Spectromagic and Wishes. It was a little hectic, but the kids wanted to see the castle so badly- the magic was worth it!

We're staying at BWV and land around noon. I think we'll have time for the kids to swim a bit, and then get dressed and head to Epcot for dinner at the Garden Grill. That way, we get to meet Mickey on our first night (and maybe squeeze a ride in on Test Track). The way I look at it, cost for an extra day at the parks is about $6 for all 4 of us, so worth it to have dinner with Mickey.

scottsod said:
were getting in same time and are going over to epcot
hav adr for le celier! cant wait to go back to the best meal 1st

if all is on time we will have a few hours for a ride or 2 everest and tt

then on to dinner and illuminations

if not dinner and home to po fq

everest is at AK

jenny-d said:
hi there
I need help figuring out what to do for our first night! Our plane doesn't get in until 3pm so I'm assuming by the time we get to our hotel and get checked in it will be dinner time or later? We are staying at the POFQ. I want to make an ADR for dinner so that we don't wind up having to wait forever at the hotel to eat. Any suggestions of something that would be easy but you can get an ADR for? I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to make it to a park that evening or just have dinner at one of the resorts with an ADR and call it a night. Someone said you might be able to see some of the fireworks at MK from the Contemporary? is that true of the GF too?
thanks so much for your help!!! Jen
We always arrive at 3pm, but we drive in for 10 hours. Don't know how early you are usually up, but about all we can handle is checking in, checking out our room and an ADR in our hotel or another on the monorail around 6pm. Then it's emptying our suitcases and heading to bed. Some recommend DTD but honestly it's just too much for us, that day.

We plan on going to putt putt golf on our first night there. I want to save our table credit for the first night so we can use it on a 2table service requirement like The Luau Show or something. Then we will come back to the resort and have our counter service meal, relax and get ready for the next day going to the parks.

Priorityonecb said:
We are going to Downtown Disney our first night and having dinner at Earl of Sandwich. I wanted something simple, with no ADR time restraint so we could not be rushed in anyway after a day of travel.

These are our plans EXACTLY! But we are arriving on a Saturday so I'm concerned about DTD being extremely busy (AND it's the night MK closes at 7 for Grad nite.......UGH). I figure at worst, DTD will be a crowded nightmare and it will only make everyone happier the next morning when the parks won't be near what we experienced at DTD. LOL. Our plane lands at 3:16 at MCO so I don't plan on getting to the resort and checked in until 4:30-5:00. We plan to head over on the boat from Riverside and go to Earl of Sandwich, the Lego shop, Goofy's candy store, and a few other shops. We *may* attempt Disney Quest, or we may just go back to the hotel and swim (my kids will LOVE to swim in the dark). We can't wait!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter