What to do during child swap.

slzer0

DIS Veteran
Suggestions on what best to do during rider swaps? Are there play areas near big rides? Is there time to ride something little?

At MK, the mountains, mine train, barn stormer..

At HS, tower, rockin (anything else I'm forgetting?)

At AK, everest, dino, (anything else?)

If riders get out and the toddler is still on a ride, maybe we can grab a snack before we meet up?

Not sure how long riders are usually gone for, and also not sure how long swappers have to return.

The rider swap pass is good for the 2nd parent to ride (and up to 2 others) any time that day so there is no rush to re-ride or meet up.

There are play areas and or non height restricted rides at all of the rides you mentioned as well as snack stands!

Since there's not THAT many rides with height restrictions, we used to use that time for feedings or down time like walking around a shop, depending on the stage of "baby" we had. Because then, after that ride was over, we were all together on the next few rides, so that means standing in line and being confined to ride vehicles or seats in a theater, etc.

Here are some of the things we did. We used FP+ for almost all of these or did them with a short SB line, so we usually waited 15 to 20 minutes for the riders.

Kali River Rapids--2-year-old played in the splash area and got as WET as the rest of us

Exp Everest--gift shop (it was HOT)

Dinosaur/Primeval Whirl--we rode Triceratops Spin 3 or 4 times in a row

Soarin--tough one to wait for, just played on the floor (might have had time to ride Living with the Land if we'd thought of it)

Splash Mtn/Big Thunder--Country Bear Jamboree (which scared her), little playground by Splash

Seven Dwarfs--gift shop/snack (still HOT)

Space--played in the arcade w/o actually spending any money

Star Tours--gift shop--for a LONG time!!

RockNRoller--tough one; just sat outside in the heat

The paper fast pass they give you is actually good until the end of the month.

Suggestions on what best to do during rider swaps? Are there play areas near big rides? Is there time to ride something little?

In addition to the suggestion play areas....

We have used this time as just a plain break for the grown up especially if the little one fell asleep.

Also --feeding babies, snack time for toddlers, changing diapers, and window shopping time.

Before Fp+ and when up to 3 people could ride, but kids would ride with me again and dad would take a break. Not sure how we will tackle next time. But my oldest two will have some roaming capabilities. So our routine will likely be similar.

We did a lot of wandering, looking at things, running around, and had a surprising number of unexpected character encounters at DL a few years ago while waiting for CS.

We rode nearby rides without a height limit, fed the toddler a snack, let them just nap if they were asleep(my favorite) or found an air conditioned place to be.

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know the swap had no return time. Very interesting.

He's 2.5 so I may let him wander a lot as suggested, since it'll get the crazies out before he's stuck in another queue. Good to hear there are play areas also.

The arcade idea is brilliant. I forgot there was one by space mtn. He has no idea that the games need money lol! We've done that before at the movies and bowling and it'll occupy him for quite some time.

Gift shops are a nice idea too. No concept of money so he can just walk around and play a bit.

Hopefully it won't be too hot in November. It'll be warm, but noting like July or August.
This summer has been insane hot.

One of my kiddos favorite places to play was the little playground under the bridge by splash mountain so we spent a lot of time there since it worked out conveniently for both splash and big timber.

Other times we'd just use it for rest time for the parent/nap time for the littlest.

For Soarin' when DH would ride I'd take the boys to nemo and play in the shark area/turtle talk/etc and/or ride nemo with them.

We'd also take the time to grab a mickey ice cream, see a character that may be near by, or my toddler would play in one of the misters/splash areas (such as by space mt) or go into a nearby store.

We tried to make it a point never to stray too far from the ride we were swapping on so we could meet up easily afterwards and we were never bored or left looking for something else to do.

It was really nice because it gave each parent one on one time with each kid (our 4yo was big enough to ride most everything at the time) and it also forced in some nice downtime/relaxing.

It will be nice that we can all ride together now (I think my youngest is only too short for one or two things such as rockin' rollercoaster) but part of me will miss doing the swapping, too :)

So, this is our first trip and I'm not completely sure how this works. There are 4 of us. My 2 boys, 6 and 7, are tall enough but one is iffy when it comes to rides. You just never know if he's going to be excited about or freak out when he gets to the gate. So how does the rider-swap work? Do we all get in line then husband and one child get on and then I get a ticket to return? Can the I take the child who liked the ride back on with me? Thanks! 30 days to go!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter