what to do during a thunderstorm?

TweetieSC4

Earning My Ears
Believe it or not, I've never been to WDW while there were thunderstorms. :umbrella: The first 2 days we're there have thunderstorms forecasted! :sad2:

Do any rides shutdown? What did you do?? :confused3

A week from right now I'll be too excited to sleep... we'll be leaving the next morning for the happiest place on earth!!!!! :Pinkbounc :banana:

When DH and I went last May we had a bad storm come up one day and a few people left. We stayed and rode Buzz Lightyear about 4 times in a row then did a bit of shopping.

Wow, you've been lucky! :teeth:

Usually they shut down any outdoor attractions, which at EPCOT means only Test Track. Typically the Thunderstorms blow over, so if its early enough in the day, or you still had a lot of stuff planned, my suggestion is to either hit the indoor attractions that are still open while the lines are shorter (with your ponchos of course :umbrella: ) or take the time to browse the stores, especially the chain of connected stores on Main Street.

Hope you have a great trip!! :banana:

Do the inside stuff till it blows over..

I can tell you what NOT to do...we were there last week during a thunderstorm and people were getting tired of waiting it out and put up their umbrellas and went strolling through the parks. :confused3

We found spots to either get out of the rain and stay dry or were in some indoor attractions. We really only had one time that made it difficult to move around but within 20 mins it was over.

1) Go out and be "singin and dancin in the rain".
2) Jumping and splashing into puddles is fun.
3) Ask Gene . . .

On Tuesday we were the last group to go on Primeveil Whirl. As we boarded we heard them say there were storms in the area. I wasn't thrilled that we were going up but it was lightly raining at the time. No thunder...yet. We had more rain showers and downpours from Sun-Wed than thunder and lightening.

But, they still shut down rides since the lightening can just show up at anytime during these showers or downpours. Just take cover if you're in a park by doing some shopping in the stores or get a bite to eat. The storms don't usually last too long. In the case that they do then you might want to think about heading back to your resort and taking a rest.

My best advice is DO NOT BUY A YELLOW PONCHO! When it rains in WDW, it's a sea of yellow. You can pick out your family if they have a different color on.

few people leave! We were totally in a few downpours on our last trip. I'd bring a light sweater because even in the summer heat we were cold when wet when we entered the air conditioned indoor attractions.

debbie in Seattle said:
My best advice is DO NOT BUY A YELLOW PONCHO! When it rains in WDW, it's a sea of yellow. You can pick out your family if they have a different color on.
Aawww! I thought it was fun to guess who your family was! Disney's selling clear (sort of) ponchos now so that the guess-work is gone. When I asked a couple weeks ago, they now cost $7, which I thought was pretty good, since I bought mine (yellow) 11 years ago for $5.

They are calling for showers/storms every single day we are there. :umbrella: Ok, trying to smile about that although it is not the news I was hoping for. I do hope they blow over fast. We bought cheapo ponchos at the dollar tree 2 in a pack for a buck! :rotfl: I bet I am better off taking a trash bag. I hope we will do ok with them. I do have a raincover for the stoller which will surely help there..but I don't want my camera or camcorder getting wet for sure!

So just HOW fast do these storms normally blow over??

It depends, but usually their thunderstorms blow over within 15 - 20 minutes. It's normal Florida weather, so don't worry about it. When we were there in March we had a lot of little thunderstorms, most of the time when we were back at our rental villa though, so it wasn't a big deal (spent a few rain showers in the baby pool chanting, "Go away rain..." LOL But it wasn't lightning so we were ok)

The one thunderstorm we hit in the park we waited it out at lunch, by the time we were done eating the storm was gone.

Have a good trip!! I've got 22 more days to go!! :banana:

I was there last week. Just got back today and it rained with thunderstorms almost every afternoon. I went to the parks early at opening and we were ready for our afternoon break by the time the storms rolled in. They usually started around 2 or so. The thunder didn't last a long time, but the rain did. It cut into our planned afternoon evening swims, but it really didn't affect our park touring too much. There was only one day I wanted to be in the park all day (MGM). The storms rolled in while we were eating lunch around 1:30. It was still raining at 5:30 for the parade. They didn't cancel the parade, but I was in line for Buzz a little while earlier and they sent him inside due to the weather. My advice is get your parks in early!! Every other day we did what we wanted and were finished long before the rain started.

Joy

maxaroni said:
I can tell you what NOT to do...we were there last week during a thunderstorm and people were getting tired of waiting it out and put up their umbrellas and went strolling through the parks. :confused3

Not a good idea. Lightening in Florida should be taken very seriously.

TheDisneyBunch said:
They are calling for showers/storms every single day we are there. :umbrella: Ok, trying to smile about that although it is not the news I was hoping for. I do hope they blow over fast. We bought cheapo ponchos at the dollar tree 2 in a pack for a buck! :rotfl: I bet I am better off taking a trash bag. I hope we will do ok with them. I do have a raincover for the stoller which will surely help there..but I don't want my camera or camcorder getting wet for sure!

So just HOW fast do these storms normally blow over??

Believe me, do NOT worry at ALL about this. DW and I were in the World from 8/21-8/29 and, really, only the first three days were completely rain-free. The other days, the rain would come, and it would be HEAVY rain, but it would last for, at most, 20 minutes--and usually more like 5-10 minutes. As has been said previously, out would go the ponchos, people would make a beeline for shops or under awnings, and that was pretty much it. Again, at NO time was rain an inhibiting factor on our WDW vacation. Heck, I even noticed one day that Test Track was running during the rain.

We had rain for most of a day at MK a couple years ago. I'd never really thought about what we could or couldn't do in the rain, but found that there was very little we couldn't do in the rain. And, as the rain chased people out of the park, the lines got a lot shorter!

If rain looks inevitable, make sure you wear fast-drying clothing and footwear that won't be a problem in the rain, i.e. sandals/no socks will work better than sensible athletic shoes and socks.

JoyG said:
I was there last week. Just got back today and it rained with thunderstorms almost every afternoon. I went to the parks early at opening and we were ready for our afternoon break by the time the storms rolled in. They usually started around 2 or so. The thunder didn't last a long time, but the rain did. It cut into our planned afternoon evening swims, but it really didn't affect our park touring too much. There was only one day I wanted to be in the park all day (MGM). The storms rolled in while we were eating lunch around 1:30. It was still raining at 5:30 for the parade. They didn't cancel the parade, but I was in line for Buzz a little while earlier and they sent him inside due to the weather. My advice is get your parks in early!! Every other day we did what we wanted and were finished long before the rain started.

Joy

We we there this past week also. Just got back to Ontario a couple hours ago. We were there for opening at 9.-had no waits--even did some rides twice through. By afternoon we were so hot and tired that we went back to our rooms(was not in my plans) We swam and/or just rested, then got ready for supper. During that time usually the rains came. The pools and waterparks are constantly listening to weather reposts and do shut down at the first sign of thunder and lightening. We were watching Lights Motors, Action and they stopped the show for a while because there was "electical activity in the area." It never did rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter