What to do? Don't have a credit card and not a fan of carrying lots of $$

What are "Coles Notes"?
Coles Notes (or Cliff Notes) are what was often the saving grace to most high school English students (and other subject too) ... very short condensed version of novels with fancy stuff like character development, plot and theories. They were usually life saving for lots when it came to Shakespeare :P Think the "for the ____Dummy" books" that are popular now.

I haven't done it so I can't be 100% sure. I would think they would have to accept cash. At the hotels they can likely accept travelers cheques as well. I thought it stinks they can't take a regular debit card as Target could take it is available some places in the US.

Yes of course they accept cash that isn't in question.

But I'm fairly certain the resorts will not allow you to apply a positive cash balance to your room to charge against. To charge to a room you must have a credit card and can use cash to pay a balance but they won't hold cash for you against your room.

If you want to pay in cash you will have to carry cash and use it.

Last edited:

But I'm fairly certain the resorts will not allow you to apply a positive cash balance to your room to charge against. To charge to a room you must have a credit card and can use cash to pay a balance but they won't ho,d cash for you against your room.

Right...you can not apply a cash credit to your resort account. You must have a credit card attached. What you can do is attach a CC and then go to the front desk every day or two and pay the balance with cash.

OP...you only have a few options.
1. carry and use cash
2. get a prepaid card
3. buy a WDW gift card after you arrive and load it in small amounts every few days (but really that's not much different than using cash)
4. open up a credit card for the trip

Personally, I like cash on vacation. I am very good about knowing how much I'm going to spend (usually within $100-200). I keep most of my cash in the safe in the room and only carry about $100 but I do have a credit card for back up.

Can you please explain the coles notes version of how this works. I'm so clueless. It's quite sad really.

Cash rebate cards are credit cards that include a "reward" of a certain % of purchase given back to you as "cash" at some pre-defined period. How often and through what means varies with the credit card issuer.

Going back to the issue of what to do when one does not have a credit card:

- cash (but as noted there are limitations and the security issue of carrying large amounts of $)

- traveler's cheques (getting harder to find and they are used much less often these days)

- travel money card / prepaid credit card:

These cards are offered by both visa (http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/prepaidcards/travelmoney.jsp and FAQ: http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/prepaidcards/visatravel_faq.jsp) and mastercard (http://www.mastercard.ca/prepaid-card.html) through banks and certain other vendors. Some of those banks and vendors offer additional benefits with their cards, such as purchase protection, extended warranties and other things.

VISA, who has both Travel cards and Travelers Cheques, notes this in their FAQ about Travel Cards:
Should I buy Visa TravelMoney Cards or VisaTravellers Cheques when travelling?
We advise buying a Visa TravelMoney Card in view of the greater advantages and convenience offered, as it can be used at both the ATM and point-of-sale.

Note there are limitations with TravelMoney Cards, which are shared with all prepaid cards, prepaid credit cards and in many cases also with debit cards (take from Visa travelMoney FAQ):

Can I use my card to get gasoline or rent a car?
At gas stations tell the attendant how much gas you intend to buy and sign the receipt for that amount. Some rental car companies may require that you use a credit card to make a reservation. Your Visa TravelMoney card is always welcome for final payment.

Can I use my card to make reservations at a hotel?
Yes you can, but hotels will verify that your card has sufficient funds to pay an estimated bill for your stay. That amount will be “held” in your account, making it unavailable for other purchases. When you check out, the “hold” will be removed and the actual bill amount will be deducted. You can avoid having funds held by using a Visa credit card at check-in. Your card is always welcome for final payment.

Some examples of Canadian banks that offer prepaid Visa or Mastercard cards:

Scotiabank: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,8229,00.html

BMO: https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit-cards/prepaid-credit-cards

RBC: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/visagiftcard/purchase.html

CAA travel money options if you are a CAA member (this is from the CAA Manitoba site but should apply to all CAA offices):
https://www.caamanitoba.com/travel_travel_money

Info about Mastercard cash passport (CAA uses it): http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/ca/About-Cash-Passport/

A relevant Toronto Star article from 2011: http://www.thestar.com/business/per.../is_cash_or_credit_better_for_travellers.html

And a bit older article from another site, with some greats notes about pros and cons of prepaid cards: http://dan.matan.ca/Canadian-Prepaid-Mastercard-Visa-Card-Reviews-Information/

And an excellent article on the limits of prepaid cards for hotels/motels/car rentals/vacations: http://dan.matan.ca/Prepaid-Visa-Mastercard-Credit-Cards-Hotels-Cars-Autos-Moving-Trucks/ Note that for such situations the problem is that a real credit card is needed for security deposits or against damage; some vendors have rules to get around this, but you have to go through some hoops.

But I'm fairly certain the resorts will not allow you to apply a positive cash balance to your room to charge against. To charge to a room you must have a credit card and can use cash to pay a balance but they won't hold cash for you against your room.

Thanks for confirming that this is not an option. I guess it surprises me as they must have people stay there who don't have a credit card.

I'm not a fan of carrying a lot of USD for three reasons.
1. I have no idea how much I will need
2. I don't want it to get lost or stolen
3. I'm pretty absent minded sometimes so I'm worried about misplacing some or all (which is really the same as #2)

I was thinking about doing a preloaded CC or a gift card but I'm not sure about the fees.

I was also thinking about immediately buying a Disney GC once I'm onsite since I have no way of buying one ahead of time.

I don't like to carry much cash either. Just keep in mind that a gift card has all the same disadvantages you've listed. Plus several more:
  • Typically only useful at the single establishment it is issued from.
  • Can't tell just by looking how much you've spent / have left.
  • Can't easily split it up, unless you buy multiple smaller denomination cards (but then you have to manage them), or plan to reload (but then you have to have some means to reload them, ie. cash).
  • You're stuck with the balance. At least with cash you can use it elsewhere, keep it for a future trip (not necessarily Disney), or take it back to the bank (subject to fees on the exchange conversion, of course).
So if you're thinking "gift card", you're really probably better off just using cash. As a PP noted, you can at least split it up and limit your potential loss in any single incident. A preloaded credit card might offer more protection (are they at least PIN protected?), but you'd still want a back-up plan in case it got lost.

We got rid of all of our credit cards as well. What I do is take a certain amount of cash because I get the best exchange on that. And then anything else i use my TD debit for and it works as though it is a visa but is just debiting the money from your account based on the exchange at that time. For the most part it has worked everywhere for me like I am using a credit card.

A gift card is basically the same as using cash so I don't see a point unless you are trying to set an allotted limit for something.

I remember using cash years ago. I had an envelope for each day's expenses, and kept them in the safe. I do recall the anxiety on the way down, though, until the $$$$$ went into the safe. Haven't used Travellers' Cheques for decades, but that might be the way to carry the $ for the room. I just wouldn't count on everywhere accepting them. Now, I cc everything, taking just a little cash. (love my PCMC and the free groceries!)

Just curious why anyone would get rid of their credit card - as we actually get paid to use our cards. We have the Westjet Mastercard that gives us Westjet $ we can use towards future flights and I have a visa that gives me cash back. It is great! I don't understand the negative stigma considering the convenience they bring. And now, with banking online it is easy to monitor a credit card.

Just curious why anyone would get rid of their credit card - as we actually get paid to use our cards. We have the Westjet Mastercard that gives us Westjet $ we can use towards future flights and I have a visa that gives me cash back. It is great! I don't understand the negative stigma considering the convenience they bring. And now, with banking online it is easy to monitor a credit card.

We got rid of them because they are too easy to run up and had gotten out of hand for us, so we consolidated them and removed any temptation. In a few years we plan to get one again but we want to get used to life without one whatsoever. Then we can get only one to use for points, keep a low limit and pay it off. That is why there is a negative stigma for most. It is great if you have the willpower to pay them off immediately but sadly we all don't and they can easily get out of control.

We got rid of them because they are too easy to run up and had gotten out of hand for us, so we consolidated them and removed any temptation. In a few years we plan to get one again but we want to get used to life without one whatsoever. Then we can get only one to use for points, keep a low limit and pay it off. That is why there is a negative stigma for most. It is great if you have the willpower to pay them off immediately but sadly we all don't and they can easily get out of control.

Yes, unfortunately this is very true and it is very wise to simply remove the temptation if it's become a problem, especially with what some of the better point ones have for interest rates, if not paid off each month then they are not worth it.

Good for you for knowing (and fixing!) your limitations when it comes to credit cards. :thumbsup2One thing that keeps me on track is that I check the account several times a week, paying as I go. Lots of times, DH will use the cc in the city, and by the time he's home, I've recorded it (I use Quicken), and paid.

I don't have credit card either and have been using TD visa/debit for the past 5 years in Disney and haven't had a problem. I also use it for car rental and gas and have never had an issue. We do carry some cash with us, but not much

Good for you for knowing (and fixing!) your limitations when it comes to credit cards. :thumbsup2One thing that keeps me on track is that I check the account several times a week, paying as I go. Lots of times, DH will use the cc in the city, and by the time he's home, I've recorded it (I use Quicken), and paid.

Thanks! Eventually we plan to get a card to use to build aeroplan and do the same, pay it immediately. We are going to spend a few years training ourselves to use only what we have first then we won't ever have a credit card balance again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter