What to do at WDW when you've been so many times?

dickyrader

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are headed to WDW the first full week of July. We have been every year for the past 5 or so years.

Disney is not loosing its magic for us, we are just thinking that we have done everything that the casual Disney vacationer has done. Of course we want to ride the main attractions, and see the great shows like Festival of the Lion King. We are just looking for more of the off the beaten path attractions and experiences. We are wanting to take things more slowly this year and see some of the lesser known attractions Disney has to offer since we have done almost all of the headline attraction over and over.

What kind of things are there to do that the normal Disney vacationer doesn't get to do because of time constraints?

One of things I love about WDW is there is always something new to do. DD and I just went on our 13th trip over Spring Break and still did stuff we hadn't done before.

I don't know if this falls into the "what the normal Disney vacationer doesn't get to" bucket, but on our last trip we saw the movie in the China pavilion for the first time, walked through the gift shop in China for the first time and played Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. The latter was new since our previous visit over Thanksgiving. The great thing about that last one was that because we visit several times a year, we were able to spend a lot of time playing the game. There was no pressure to work it in between Fast Passes or worries about not getting on Space Mountain. It was great.

We also find we are stopping more for the little street shows and what not since we go often. I realize many people do this, but when you're trying to maximize larger attraction time, you might stop for one or two, whereas now we stop most of the time to watch.

We still have some musical acts to catch in the World Showcase, and that will be on the "must do" list for our trip later this month. We finally sat down and watched Off Kilter for the first time this past Thanksgiving. Crazy right?!

HTH

Have you done all the tours? Eaten at all the restaurants? Dinner shows? LaNouba? Golf? Jelly Rolls? Resort hop? Concerts? Not sure what you have/have not done.

We go 2-3x a year it's never lost it's Magic! There's always something new to do.

The 1st week of July is going to be very busy with high crowds, so you might want to try resort hopping. We love to make ADRs at other resorts, and spend an hour or so meandering around. It's nice to see all the different theming that Disney does. AoA will be open then, so that's something brand new to check out.

There's always the mini golf across from The Swan if parks are crowded, and as others have said, taking a tour would be a good idea too. Often we just grab a snack & people watch. Sometimes it's nice just to be there!

Before moving here, we vacationed at WDW every year since 1986. The last 7 years we've had annual passes and go whenever we get a chance. There is always something new and one thing that never gets old is people-watching. Also, you get to meet and chat with people from all over.

We like to resort hop, especially the epcot resorts. Boardwalk, especially. I know my family has never been a water park yet so we might go this next trip. Maybe schedule your trip by a special event like any of the festivals at Epcot or one of the special parties at MK. Or if you want to go offsite if you have a car, try the outlet malls or make a day trip to Cocoa Beach and go by the Cocoa Beach Pier.

We have been to Disney every year or so for 15 years...last trip we took the art class at HS for the first time. It was fun. We also did the Hall of Presidents for the first time and we spent a lot of time at inoventions. There are a lot of interactive things going on in those buildings. There is also a gaming section at the end of Mission Space--we had a blast there. I think we spent probably 2 hours there.

Since we stayed at POFQ we took the boat to DTD. Very nice little boat ride and we finally got a peek at the tree houses. I also like to visit the other resorts. All of the gift shops carry basically the same items but--each resort also has items specific to the theme of that resort. The same goes for the CS places at each resort.

The 1st week of July is going to be very busy with high crowds, so you might want to try resort hopping. We love to make ADRs at other resorts, and spend an hour or so meandering around.

We LOVED doing this on our last trip! Don't just have dinner either - we did breakfast at the Poly one morning, and it was one of our most enjoyable meals. The deluxe resorts are particularly fun to walk around, and if you time it right with the ones around MK, you can watch the fireworks in the evening.

If you're looking for something to do in the parks, I'd recommend taking an entire day for the World Showcase. As it doesn't open until 11, you can have a nice breakfast somewhere and then spend the day meandering. The details in each area are amazing, and the cast members are always willing to talk to you about their home country. You can have a snack/drink at each country - I've never had anything at Mexico, because we always start at Canada and I'm full by then!

Finally, something I've never done but would like to is take a tour. There are lots of different tours, ranging from all day to a couple of hours. http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm I'd really like to do the Animal Kingdom one where you get up close to the animals...

We try to do something new each trip. A different restaurant, stopping at a different bench for a different view, even trying a park we have been to often at a different time of day. All of the parks, resorts, and attractions take on a whole different atmosphere in the evening. There is always something different to do!!! Have a great time

Something that really brought the magic for me, was going with someone who had never been there before.
To see the magic and everything through his eyes... it felt like going for the first time again.

We always find ways to vary our visits. A simple one is adjusting where you stay and where you eat. If you feel like you've exhausted onsite options the offsite options are inifinte.

Moreover, you could mix in some 'offsite' park touring and 'offsite' day tripping. Harry Potter and the Mummy are superb rides- among many excellent choices at Universal. US is not quite the same environment as Disney, but it has some outstanding rides.

Beyond Disney, Flroida is FULL of really interesting places to visit and thigns to do...Right in Orlando there are many options, but also if you drive 90 minutes there'sa huge variety of places to see.

Within WDW, there are lots of thigns tucked away in the parks, resorts to visit, boat rides, carriage rides, mini-golf, etc.

I go to Disney every other weekend. There is always new stuff. A few weeks ago when i meeting friends at MK the first thing on my agenda was to see the new sunshine tree terrence and orange bird merchandise.

In Epcot the new vision house in innoventions opened a few weeks ago and this week the new wine cellar in Italy opened

In the past month Ive started walking 4-6 miles everyday. I usually go on a trail by my house but when im going to disney i try to get there early and walk at one of the resorts. Ive been to Coranado Springs and Carribean Beach so far.

Last weekend I met some friends at POFQ and saw musician Elliot Dyson play at the Scat Cat Club. Even tho my family has stayed there a few times before I moved down here I had never heard him play. Most resorts have some sort of entertainment like that

Port Orleans French Quarter -- Scat Cat's Club -- one man band sings 4 nights a week 8:30 p.m. - 12:30. I saw Elliot perform last week for the 1st hour (with my DS 8) and we really liked it -- you can enjoy a drink from the bar, quick serve food from the restaurant next door, or just an ice cream. Go early if you want to sit in front at seating is limited but there's plenty of seating in the bar.

http://www.portorleans.org/scatcats.php

Take horse and carriage ride around the Port Orleans property. Take an evening boat rode down the river from Port Orleans. Check out the boat options that you can rent (sea kayak or pontoon boat.)

Go for as stroll from the French Quarter to Riverside along the river.

Rent a surrey bike.

http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-activites-schedule.php

click on map for larger view -- the calendar is for May but you can get an idea

What about treating your wife to a spa service?? It's going to hot in July, so just relaxing and taking your time at the parks then enjoying the pool.

The mini golf by Blizzard Beach is cute.

Really loved the Afternoon Tea. On our last trip in January I had a great time talking to the folks at the Outpost Recycle booth. I purchased a beautiful bracelet there - it is now one of my favorites!

I think something that is enjoyable when you have that "leisure" time is to help a newbie! I've held and given out Fastpasses before. We were travelling in a family of 6, had extra fastpasses and gave them to a family in line. It's nice to see those faces on after you ask, "Would you like these, you can go over to the Fast Pass line and cut your wait in half"!

To change things up for us we stay at a different resort and do some of the resort activities (plan a resort day) and the things that are more convenient while you are at that resort. For example the Luau at the Poly, surrey bikes at Boardwalk. Trying different restaurants is fun too. We also try the less popular attractions. Some we liked a lot- the Birds of Flight in AK was really good and we were glad we tried it. Downtown Disney has shows -Cirque, and restaurants. We stayed at the Contemporary last trip and they had parasailing and boat rentals. There are also special cruises and experiences at the parks or at the resorts. We have not found the magic to be gone, but we do like to keep it fresh, too. We may try a different time of year since we tend to go in spring.

We plan less and less each time. We always have dining ressies, but we like to take it slower as we go every year and sit and watch a great sunset over the lagoon, watch some kid meet Mickey. For us the luxury is knowing we'l be back and rushing isn't necesary.

LOL i know not everyone is a golf nut LOL:rotfl2:. I play golf and Disney offers a great selection of great golf courses. I also I am a foodie, i seek out new places to enjoy my meals, it also is a great way to take up time. Plus it feeds into my planning obsesion.All the great shows around wdw is another great thing to do. I for one go once a year, maybe twice so i dont get to see it on a monthly bases. Its always special,and always seems new.

As another poster aid, differing who you go with helps. Not just newbies, but anyone really. It's very different to go to WDW with just two adutls or ten....with or without kids...in a larger group. Try inviting almost any family member or good friend to join you.

One change that has impacted our vacations quite a bit is staying club level. Eating breakfast and afternoon (5pm-ish) appetizers in the lounge changed how we tour quite a bit. Instead of the mad food court rush, we eat efficiently but enjoyably in the lounge. So we get out earlier. But in the afternoons, we are much more likley to come bacck to the resort for a drink and a pre-dinner appetizer. Then we go back out at night. If you pick a place like CR or Poly- instead of going to the resort at 5pm- you can instead go to the lounge at fireworks time and see the rireworks from there. Seeing the fireworks from the lounge is quite different from seeing them in the parks.

I also vary our trips by varying the time of year. Disney has different thigns going on at variosu timesof year, so seeing all the fall decor, holiday decor, spring flower fest, Star Wars, etc cna make each trip a little different. Just the weather alone has a considerable impact- esp when you consider how park hours vary.

If you've never seen Hoop de Doo, the luau, cirque, a show at HoBlues, Jellyrolls, etc. those are all interesting variations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter