What to do at the resorts?

gwcollins71

DIS Veteran
I've been lurking on this board for several months now and I finally joined. My fiance and I are going to Disney in August, unfortunately, we're not staying onsite this time.

We'd like to look around the different resorts our first and last days there just to check things out so we can see other resorts we'd like to stay at in the future. I know we can't pool hop, but what else should we try and do? What "extra" things to do are at each of the resorts, awesome restaraunts, etc?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Gretchen

One suggestion: go to one of the Epcot Resorts (YC/BC/BWI/Swan/Dolphin) and walk around the lagoon, checking out the other resorts along the way. This enables you to easily check out five resorts. Lots of good restaurants among those five to choose from (Flying Fish, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Blue Zoo, Palio, etc.). Also, there is shopping at all those resorts, games on the Boardwalk and water mice and other watercraft at the YC marina. If done right, this "tour" could take up a whole day!

Welcome to the Dis!!

I'd recommend having a PS for a meal at a couple of different resorts. For instance, if you're spending the day at MK, make a PS for lunch a Whispering Canyons at WL or the Contempory Steakhouse at CR.

To get to WL, when you exit MK (have your hand stamped for reentry), walk down to the boat launch in front that says Fort Wilderness & Wilderness Lodge. The wait for a boat usually isn't to long. The boat circles between WL/FW/MK (any order) and the ride is short. You can have a nice lunch, walk around to get the feel, and head back to MK. If you're trip is in the summer, it would be a nice break from the hot afternoon sun.

To get to CR or Poly or GF, just take the monorail.

You can do the same with the other parks. I'd recommend choosing a restruant in a resort that is close to the park. For instance, if you're at AK, try lunch at AKL. I think the bus ride is only about 5 minutes. Just look for the resort buses near the part enterance/exit.

Go to AKL and view the animals from the public viewing areas.

We stay on site all the time now but we still resort hop and just walk around the other resorts. It's fun. :)

Welcome to the Dis!:wave: We love to resort hop as well, it's so neat to see all the other resorts, plus it breaks up the day. One of our favorite things to do is simply sit in the lobby and watch everyone coming and going. It's incredibly relaxing to be sitting there with nothing to do and to see everyone running around. Our favorite lobbies are the Wilderness Lodge, Poly, and Grand Floridian, but the Wilderness Lodge lobby is the best for this. There are so many little nooks to hide in, the best is the sitting area on the 4th floor, there is a couch and 2 chairs and a fireplace. You can sit there with your feet up and watch all the activity in the lobby.

Another thing we like to do is rent water mice, these can be rented at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, as well as Downtown Disney. If you do decide to rent water mice, remember to bring your drivers license, a new requirement.

Have a great time!!

Kristaprincess:

I was reading in one of the guide books but didnt make note that one of the resorts if you ask for a guide book you get a leigh(sp?)from them. Which one has a petting zoo for the kids???
thanks Diane

Thanks so much. I'm going to print out the page so my fiance can look at the ideas. I am getting very excited! :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by dimoe
Which one has a petting zoo for the kids???
thanks Diane

That would be Fort Wilderness. They also have pony rides ($3, closed toe shoe required). I think the max weight was 80#'s. They run from about 9-5. From MK, CR, or WL, take one of the boats. It's just a short walk from the dock, kindof behind Trails End, and the HooDeeDoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter