What to do? At home hair coloring

ceroarty

Mouseketeer
So I need help. :confused3 I colored my hair the other night the same shade I always use and it turned out really dark. I was going for a light brown but instead it came out really dark with a reddish tint to it. So stupidly I thought ok I will go and get a shade lighter and lighten it up. Well that did not work for me. Still very dark.:eek: I did it just like always and left it on for the right amount of time. I am probably going to have to go and this professionally fixed but I thought I would ask here first. Is there anything I can do to fix this without spending a small fortune? The whole reason I color my own hair is because I can't afford the up keep at the salon. I can't justify over $100 every 6 weeks to color my. Any help would be appreciated.

Try washing it several times....like all in a row. Each shampoo should take a little of the color away. If you can stand to do it, maybe even wash it a few times with dish detergent (which is stronger than shampoo) and then rinse a few times with vinegar or lemon juice, which could help strip the color. Of course, plan on giving your hair a really deep conditioning treatment afterward, to keep it from drying out too much.
Good luck, I hope you can avoid the salon expense, but you gotta do what you gotta do.....

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply close by, the workers there are usually very helpful. They have products that correct almost anything!
Good Luck.
FWIW, when I color my hair it is always a bit darker than I want, but fades after a few washes.

I had good luck calling the number on the box, when my hair turned BOZO Orange... not the look I was going for. They told me exactly which color to buy to fix it and what to do.

I have heard that Dawn dish soap can help remove unwanted hair color. I remember a friend of mine in high school who had a little mishap with the hair dye and her beautician used Dawn to strip the color out. I'd do a little Google research first, and be careful because if you've already dyed your hair twice it might be a little on the dry side (mine would be). Dawn will make it dryer as it is made to strip away oils. Good luck!

give it a few days! I dye my hair dark brown and it always comes out black the first day or two, after a few washings it goes down to normal color.

tricia.

My hairdresser had me go darker and I hated it. She had me use some Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo and it lightened up (back to my original color) each time I used it. Good luck.

As much as I don't like to spend money at the salon, when I made a similar error a number of years back, the only thing that worked for me was going to a pro. I tried the dawn, and repeated washings. It really did nothing for me.

Good luck...I feel your pain!

PS - yes, I am stuck going to the salon now versus doing at home. There are some pro's to it though. I do highlights and I only go in 4x a year...probably not quite enough, but I can't squeeze in more than that.

OP-I did the same thing a few months ago. Went to my hairdresser the next morning for advice. (I have long medium brown hair---and instead of only touching up the roots---I added the coloring to all my hair---it came out WAY DARK! I looked positively witchy! :scared1: ) She said to wash my hair repeatedly with, GULP, Windex!! The amonia in windex softens the color a bit and is much less harsh than the chemicals they will use to "fix" a problem at the salon. No, it did not completely fix my very dark hair. But it did lighten it up just a bit and it faded/lightened over the next few weeks. I'd live with the shade to the degree you can---as I've heard some awful stories about the damage (hair breaking off and falling out) that trying to correct a dark shade can do...even when done professionally.

Best of luck...it won't stay dark forever!!!

Wendy

Baby shampoo mixed with baking soda, to make a paste. Repeat several times if necessary.

Yes, call the number on the box!

Hi, I'm a hairstylist. some of the home remedies are ok to do, the Paul Mitchell shampoo 3 is probably the safest way to go. I do agree that you need to condition since you have colored twice and are stripping the color. Next time you color your hair just do the roots or new growth, every time you put color over your entire head it will continue to darken the ends since there is no new growth on the ends of the hair. Only put color on the ends the last 10 mins and then use some of the color mixed with your shampoo to freshen up the color. Try to use a shampoo for color treated hair not a moisture enriched shampoo, as this will cause the color to fade much quicker. Too much moisture pushes the color out of the cuticle thus causing fading. I hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter