• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do around Disneyland but not in the park

heather6699

Earning My Ears
So we will have most of our first day (because our flight gets into SNA early in the am) at DLH free to do what we want, but not inside the park. We won't start our three day pass until our first full day there. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do around the DLH? We will take a taxi to the hotel so we won't have a car. I am hoping to do the neverland pool but we will be there the beginning of December and I am crossing my fingers for 70 degree days. I know we can do Downtown Disney, but what else? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

There is Build a Bear at DTD.

Here are some other ideas:

Knott's Berry Farm
Mideval Times
Pirate Dinner (like Mideval Times)
Beach

Honestly, there's not much within walking distance from Disneyland. Harbor Blvd. is pretty much filled with hotels and restaurants and I'm sure that's not exactly what you were looking for. Angels Stadium is close by but you need to drive there and during the off season, they may offer tours of the ballpark. AMC Theaters are in DTD so maybe you can catch a movie but realistically, you do need a car to get to go or see anything.

Honestly, there's not much within walking distance from Disneyland. Harbor Blvd. is pretty much filled with hotels and restaurants and I'm sure that's not exactly what you were looking for. Angels Stadium is close by but you need to drive there and during the off season, they may offer tours of the ballpark. AMC Theaters are in DTD so maybe you can catch a movie but realistically, you do need a car to get to go or see anything.

technically yes, they are walking distance... there are shuttles to both parks free(from Shuttle lot) usually if you buy a admission ticket with them...

You could play games at ESPN Zone, or as it becomes evening, listen to the various musicians performing at DTD. My children enjoy going into the LEGO store and playing with the legos they have out.

I've never been, but are going early August. The wife and I plan on checking out DTD, eating dinner there, and then exploring 3 Disney resorts on our first day, so as not to burn an ticket entrance.

Then pack in early for an EE the next day.

Does Disney frown on visitors exploring their resort/grounds? We've had fun ad WDW exploring resorts but we were also stayin on disney property. I'm not staying in any of the disney resorts but at the HOJO.

I've never been, but are going early August. The wife and I plan on checking out DTD, eating dinner there, and then exploring 3 Disney resorts on our first day, so as not to burn an ticket entrance.

Then pack in early for an EE the next day.

Does Disney frown on visitors exploring their resort/grounds? We've had fun ad WDW exploring resorts but we were also stayin on disney property. I'm not staying in any of the disney resorts but at the HOJO.

No, you shouldn't have any problems walking around the resorts. I'm sure DL encourages it.

I think the most interesting hotel grounds are the DLH. There are some waterfalls in front of the Bonita tower that my kids love to explore, but sometimes they have the pathway closed off around them. You can even walk under them on a pathway, but it does get wet and slippery, so that's probably why they close them. There is also a koi pond in that area as well and I remember reading somewhere that sometimes you can assist in feeding the koi, but I don't remember where I saw that.:confused3

How about a bus ride up to Orangefair Marketplace? That's where the Character Warehouse is. I have heard that the prices are about 30% cheeper than DL. I have not gone to this one, but did do one in Orlando. I'm not sure what other stores are nearby.

You could see a movie in DTD. Also, the DLH has these little remote control jungle cruise boats. My kids had a ball doing those, you can buy tokens right there. They also have a decent arcade. You could eat at Goofy's Kitchen or one of the other restaurants there at the hotel, we also love Hook's Pointe. There is the Build a Bear and ESPN Zone as others suggested. You can also upgrade your tickets to four day ones for not that much money. And then there is always the spa at the Grand Californian. My aunt and cousine did manicures and pedicures there and really enjoyed that. I guess it depends on the age and makeup of your party as to what will appeal to you. There is certainly plenty of shopping and dining right there at DTD. If you have kids, the Rainforest Cafe is a winner.

The DLH has lovely grounds and there are some nice shops, restaurants and other things to enjoy and explore right there. The GCH really doens't have much in the way of grounds, but the lobby area is lovely and worth seeing. Paradise Pier has no grounds at all and the lobby is pretty bland as well. I am sure you will find something, sometimes I enjoy those down days at the resort more than about anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter