• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what to do about a fender bender?

SueInBoston

DIS Veteran
I got into a fender bender last week, it was rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. Small SUV in front of me stopped suddenly and I bump into his bumper and cracked his bumper. No damage to my car except for scratches on bumper. At that time, the other driver suggested that since it's a small incident, to just deal between us and sidestepped insurance. I agreed so we just exchanged phone numbers.

Next day, he faxed me a estimate of $1100, my insurance deductible is only $500 so I'm thinking that I will be better off claiming insurance. However then there's the point system that will stay on my insurance. Does anyone know how many points I will get for a fender bender and how long it stays? The other driver also claimed that his repair will be much higher if we go through insurance as he will have to go to an 'authorized' repair shop vs. his local garage.

advice please? settle with him $900? or file for insurance?

Actually, many shops REDUCE the price for insurance claims per pre-arranged agreements with the insurance companies. Not that it matters as you're out $500 either way. Since there is no damage to your car, I'd be tempted to just pay out of pocket, but pay the shop not the guy. And pay with check or credit card, not cash so you have proof.

advice please? settle with him $900? or file for insurance?
He's doing you a favor by offering to do this directly, instead of through insurance. You are at fault in this accident, and he has every right to take his car wherever he likes to get it repaired.

This accident will be on your record as an at-fault accident. Most insurance companies look-back five years, but I've seen some application that look-back 3 and others that ask if you have *ever* been in an at-fault accident.

I'd personally pay the $1,100 and hope that was the end of it.

word of caution: If you pay him directly, he may just pocket the money and not repair the car. Which i guess, is his right, but make sure you have proof and a reciept of what you gave him and for what repairs it was for.

been burned before ;)

Your collision deductible of $500 would not apply to his damage. Your liability coverage would pay him in full. I believe in MA your surcharge stays on your policy for 3 years. You are probably better off paying his damage out of pocket.
Denise

DH seems to get in a fender bender every other year (not always his fault). Most have agreed to let us pay OOP (except for one company car he hit), and we have always given others the option. The last time, a car took off DH's side mirror, and not only did he agree to pay OOP, he had our mechanic find a used one, that didn't even match, to lower the bill for the guy!

I was rear-ended in a similar incident in New Hampshire several years ago.

Her car was was not damaged. My SUV had a small hole punched into the bumper and her license plate numbers pushed into my bumper (no chance she could claim it wasn't her :rotfl2: )

We offered to let her pay out of pocket if she preferred. The way the cars are made now they said we had to replace the entire bumper and it was about $1200. She was really made at us and I think thought we were trying to fleece her and went with insurance (I did not care one way or the other and just wanted my car fixed).

It was a small town and she saw me from time to time where I worked at the library. About a year later she told me she wished she had paid it, that their premiums had gone up a ton from that and she was paying for that bumper 5 times over in the end.

So, IMO, you are smarter to pay out of pocket since he is being kind enough to let you.

Another viewpoint. Through my involvement with the insurance industry I am aware of far too many cases where the rear-ended driver says they and their passengers are fine, then one of more of them come back later demanding payment for their alleged injuries, and a lawsuit ensues Because of this I would always get photographs, witnesses, and go through insurance because my insurance company would hash it out with any other insurance companies involved.

Another viewpoint. Through my involvement with the insurance industry I am aware of far too many cases where the rear-ended driver says they and their passengers are fine, then one of more of them come back later demanding payment for their alleged injuries, and a lawsuit ensues Because of this I would always get photographs, witnesses, and go through insurance because my insurance company would hash it out with any other insurance companies involved.

And another: what if the driver decides he needs a rental car during the 3-5 days his car will be in the shop having the bumper replaced and repainted?

word of caution: If you pay him directly, he may just pocket the money and not repair the car. Which i guess, is his right, but make sure you have proof and a reciept of what you gave him and for what repairs it was for.

been burned before ;)

He could do that even if you go thru the insurance.

I would always go thru the insurance company for this exact reason.

Did he tell you it would be $1100 or did you see the actual estimate? I'd ask him to get an estimate from a body shop YOU trust and compare the two. That's just me being paranoid though.

Did he tell you it would be $1100 or did you see the actual estimate? I'd ask him to get an estimate from a body shop YOU trust and compare the two. That's just me being paranoid though.

The person who got hit is doing the OP a favour, if I was rear ended, and told the person who hit me, $1200 and it's case closed, and that person came back demanding a quote from their shop of choice, I'd turn around and tell them we'll go through insurance then.

It's not any of the OPs business whether they use the $1100 to fix their car, or to buy a years supply of hamburgers... $1100 does not seem too steep to have a reputable shop replace and paint a bumper cover.

Here in Ontario, shops usually charge less if you are paying cash versus if you're claiming it on insurance.

The person who got hit is doing the OP a favour, if I was rear ended, and told the person who hit me, $1200 and it's case closed, and that person came back demanding a quote from their shop of choice, I'd turn around and tell them we'll go through insurance then.

It's not any of the OPs business whether they use the $1100 to fix their car, or to buy a years supply of hamburgers... $1100 does not seem too steep to have a reputable shop replace and paint a bumper cover.

Here in Ontario, shops usually charge less if you are paying cash versus if you're claiming it on insurance.
I'm glad you know the bolded. I don't. So how do I know the repair isn't $500 and you're going to pocket $600? I don't care what you do with the $1100, I would just want to make sure that's what the cost truly is.

I'm glad you know the bolded. I don't. So how do I know the repair isn't $500 and you're going to pocket $600? I don't care what you do with the $1100, I would just want to make sure that's what the cost truly is.
This. And since I manufacture parts of the system of car "bumpers" I'll also pipe in that I think that $1100 is a steal.

My brother-in-law was tapped lightly in a parking lot and the other guy asked if gotten a quote, could he just pay out of pocket the quote. He changed his mind when that small light tap was $2800 for the painted facia, the foam energy absorber, and the metal beam attached to the subframe underneath along with the labor.

Also in the OP, it was stated "he faxed me an estimate..." which I take as an itemized estimate from a shop.

been burned before ;)

So what? Whether he gets it fixed or not he still has damages.

If you are settling with him for damage you caused in an accident that was your fault, how could it possibly matter whether he chooses to fix his car or not?

So what? Whether he gets it fixed or not he still has damages.

If you are settling with him for damage you caused in an accident that was your fault, how could it possibly matter whether he chooses to fix his car or not?

I think Katie's point was to make sure he's signed off that you've paid him the money for his damages, so he won't come back later and say you owe another $1,000. If it's an offical quote, and he's agreed that you paying that quote resolved the debt, then it doesn't matter if he gets it fixed or not, as long as he agrees that it's resolved.

Forget insurance and have him give you 2 estimates. You pay the autobody yourself, do not give him the money. You ask for a receipt for the work done by the autobody and give a copy to him.

Check to see if your policy has an accident forgiveness clause. Many times if you've been with your auto insurance company for a few years they don't raise your rates if the amount is lower than a predetermined amount. It'll be in writing in your written policy so you don't even have to contact your insurance company to find out.

I too have seen cases in which an accident is not reported to an insurance company and much later the other driver then claims she/he now has injuries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter