• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to call your (non-married, but live-in) "Significant Other"?

I think anything's better than "the person who's spending all grandpa's money," which is what my mom and her sisters called their dad's "friend" after my grandmother died. LOL

DH's boss is from the UK and he refers to his SO of 13 years as his "non-wife" or his "person."

You could also use "plus 1." My aunt has been with her boyfriend for over 20 years and that's what she calls him to people who don't know him. They don't live together, but they're together all the time.

Okay, I'm sorry but that sounded dirty -- hi, I'd like you to meet my "person". :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I just thought really hard about it and realised that I don't introduce my husband as "my husband, Gary", just by name. If somebody asked, I might offer the information but wouldn't generally include his 'job title' in an introduction ;)

Just an aside, before we were married my Dad used to introduce him as my partner, then follow it up with "not her business partner" ;)

I like "other half". It does not imply you live together, which I think it none of anyone's business. It makes it a "more formal" introduction.

Three pages of suggestions and nobody mentioned "Stud Puppy"???:confused3

Why feel the need to "title" him. Just use his name when introducing.

If you get the - Oh who is he to you question(which is rude imho) I would reply- he's the guy that floats my boat. (really I would use other not dis-friendly words)

:thumbsup2

....well, first, when you get engaged, he's your 'finance-ee', and then when you get married he's your 'has-been'....

We're both in our mid-60's, and I think "boyfriend" sounds a little high-schoolish. "Gentleman Friend" is too Victorian. "Partner", outside of a few states, I think implies a same-sex relationship. "Companion" sounds like one of us hired the other one. "Significant Other" has been done to death. The US Census used to refer to us as POSSLQ's (Persons of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters) but, jeez, that's too hard to say....I mean, can you imagine introducing him as "and this is Harvey, the Person of the Opposite Sex who Shares my Living Quarters"? (at my age I'd be out of breath before I finished...) "Fiance" implies that we're going to get married, which we aren't (no kids to legitimize at our age and too many financial reasons not to). "The Guy I'm Shacking up With" embarrasses my 90-year-old mother, as does "My Partner in Sin". I've been calling him my "Spousal Equivalent" but people look at me like I'm weird (which I AM, but they act like that's a BAD thing to be....)

So, what's a girl....oops.....what's a female person of certain age to do? Any suggestions?

Introduce him as your beau-hunk...

For shock value...your lover...lol

I love "beau" but most likely in this day and age, that'll get a response similar to, "he's your what?" lol

Personally, I'd go with, "This is Harvey, my better half." :goodvibes

We're both in our mid-60's, and I think "boyfriend" sounds a little high-schoolish. "Gentleman Friend" is too Victorian. "Partner", outside of a few states, I think implies a same-sex relationship. "Companion" sounds like one of us hired the other one. "Significant Other" has been done to death. The US Census used to refer to us as POSSLQ's (Persons of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters) but, jeez, that's too hard to say....I mean, can you imagine introducing him as "and this is Harvey, the Person of the Opposite Sex who Shares my Living Quarters"? (at my age I'd be out of breath before I finished...) "Fiance" implies that we're going to get married, which we aren't (no kids to legitimize at our age and too many financial reasons not to). "The Guy I'm Shacking up With" embarrasses my 90-year-old mother, as does "My Partner in Sin". I've been calling him my "Spousal Equivalent" but people look at me like I'm weird (which I AM, but they act like that's a BAD thing to be....)

So, what's a girl....oops.....what's a female person of certain age to do? Any suggestions?

Pronounce it as a word POSSLQ - POSSEL - Que. I haven't heard that word for years but it always made me giggle

I always just say boyfriend or his name.. but I've never really thought about calling him anything different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter