• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to buy? 1 large contract or several small contracts

AlexTina

<font color=purple>I'm glued to the computer<br><f
Well we've just returned from WL and absolutely loved it. It was our first stay here and I ran into quite a few DVC owners and could not find one with anything negative to say about it (yes I was looking for negatives, LOL) anyhow, the most common response I received was we should have done it sooner. Okay so now DH and I are convinced and I have one final question. Would it be better to purchase several smaller contracts all with the same UY or 1 large contract? In then end I would like to have somewhere around 350 - 400 points but am only ready to purchase around 225 right now. It seems to me that if I have several small contracts then if in the future we choose to sell it will be easier to get rid of small contracts, but when making reservations would I wind up with several reservations that they would link together or could I combine my points to make 1 reservation (assuming I have several contracts with the same UY and same home resort)? Also if I have to have several reservations what are the odds that we would have to change rooms mid stay? Thanks in advance.

Tina

Personally I like the idea of several smaller contracts. I think it would be hard to sell a larger one, they sit on the market for a while...I also want smaller ones (I have one, want another) b/c I have 2 dds so I want one to give to each when I am too old to enjoy WDW!;)

Well we've just returned from WL and absolutely loved it. It was our first stay here and I ran into quite a few DVC owners and could not find one with anything negative to say about it (yes I was looking for negatives, LOL) anyhow, the most common response I received was we should have done it sooner. Okay so now DH and I are convinced and I have one final question. Would it be better to purchase several smaller contracts all with the same UY or 1 large contract? In then end I would like to have somewhere around 350 - 400 points but am only ready to purchase around 225 right now. It seems to me that if I have several small contracts then if in the future we choose to sell it will be easier to get rid of small contracts, but when making reservations would I wind up with several reservations that they would link together or could I combine my points to make 1 reservation (assuming I have several contracts with the same UY and same home resort)? Also if I have to have several reservations what are the odds that we would have to change rooms mid stay? Thanks in advance.

Tina

Small contracts of the same use year, and same resort can all be part of the same master contract. They will be used the same as a single large contract... but they are much easier to sell... much easier to split up between kids, etc... and if you sell, you will get a higher price.

I have a 400 BWV points, March UY... eight 50 pt contracts all part of a single master. It is indistinquishable from a 400 point contract in daily use.

/Jim

Personally I like the idea of several smaller contracts. I think it would be hard to sell a larger one, they sit on the market for a while...I also want smaller ones (I have one, want another) b/c I have 2 dds so I want one to give to each when I am too old to enjoy WDW!;)

I like the idea of the smaller contracts too-

I have 3 kids and 3 contracts- One for each when they are older- MUCH older! :rotfl2:

Thanks these are the answers I was looking for.:)

I would even go smaller than 225 for the 1st and get a 150-160 contract at the most--bigger are harder to sell. IF you buy from DVC, they will split it 160/65 for no extra charge.Then, either add-on thru DVC directly with no closing costs, or pick up other resales with the same use year. Also, I might try anohter DVC reosrt beofre I added on more points, b/c you might decide that you want to add-on points at a different resort--we own VWL, but our next add-on might very well be AKV. good luck. Elaine

You didn't mention in your note whether this is a consideration, but make sure you pay attention to not only the UY but the resort. If you get multiple small contracts at different resorts you will only be able to book at the 11 month window for the number of points you own at a particular resort. Consider the longest stay you'd like to have at one resort and make sure you have enough points (even if spread among multiple contracts) to book that stay 11 months out.

You didn't mention in your note whether this is a consideration, but make sure you pay attention to not only the UY but the resort. If you get multiple small contracts at different resorts you will only be able to book at the 11 month window for the number of points you own at a particular resort. Consider the longest stay you'd like to have at one resort and make sure you have enough points (even if spread among multiple contracts) to book that stay 11 months out.

But you can use banking and borrowing to your advantage with these smaller contracts. Bank a year, the borrow the next year and use the current year to get three year's worth of points to make a nice reservation every three years with the smaller contracts.

We made the mistake of not breaking up our 300 pts into two contracts when we purchased from Disney. After coming home, we wish we would have done that. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. Hopefully, we will never have to sell! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter