What To Bring For Toddlers In Case Of Seasickness??

glnrcker

Mouseketeer
We are leaving on the 23rd and I plan on buying Sea Bands (wristbands)
for all us. I'm wondering though, from all of the veteran cruisers, what
else can you do for young children if they get seasick? Mine are 2 & 3.

What have been some experiences and any tips given will be greatly appreciated!

It's best to check with your pediatrician or pharmacist to see what they recommend for children that age.

We are cruising in 2 weeks as well and we have 2 dd's, ages 2 & 4... My ped told us the only thing he can recommend is liquid benadryl... didn't make much sense to me, but maybe it would help them to sleep it off if they weren't feeling well? Maybe give yours a call. Our pharmacist did say the sea bands seem to be effective and that they are totally safe for young children since there are no drugs involved. I just can't see my girls actually leaving them on. Good luck!

Liquid Benadryl makes sense. All motion sickness medicines are antihistamines, and benadryl falls into that class. It will cause a little drowsiness, but better drowsy than sick!

Thank you, Jill. My first thought on reading the question was to wonder why someone would choose to medicate a child based on what they heard on an internet board rather than consulting with the pediatrician.

Please do not give any medications (including over the counter or herbal "treatments") to a young child without knowing from the doc that this is safe for YOUR child in YOUR situation. Even herbs that may be totally innocuous in most situations could interact with a medication that your child may be taking.

Sea Bands obviously are safe as there are no medications involved.

Liquid Benadryl makes sense. All motion sickness medicines are antihistamines, and benadryl falls into that class. It will cause a little drowsiness, but better drowsy than sick!

Thanks!! I was wondering what in the benadryl would help, I never realized what other meds were made of for motion sickness. I agree, sleepy is better than sick!

I had asked my pediatrician who said they don't recommend anything at such a young age (dd3, ds1). I asked about minty ginger since ginger is a natural solution, they said it'd be fine to try it but didn't know if it'd help. I picked a bottle up at the health food store. Fortunately neither got sick so I never opened it to try it but I assumed it'd work.

glnrcker,

Hope you have fun on the cruise. We leave for ours next week. I have also heard kids are a lot less susceptible to seasickness.

As for asking advice on a forum, I wholeheartedly support this method of research. Unfortunately, doctors do not always know all the answers. I have had interactions with doctors before that had no clue and could not provide any guidance on the situation I was going through at the time. I am confident that my situation was improved by Internet research with people that shared similar experiences!

Take care!

maybe I was dreaming but I thought I read somewhere that they have little dispensers by the doc office on the ship that dispense out whatever that medication is for young kids being sea sick. Is this true?

Debbie

glnrcker... My daughter was 5 when she was on her first cruise...7 for the second. She didn't get sea sick at all. I don't think it affects the children as much as us adults! I hope this is true for you :) Have a wonderful vacation!

My pediatrician also recomended Benedryl for motion sickness and the for the flight , he said it would also help with ear pain that sometimes happens.Hopefully it will also make her sleep through the airplane ride? We'll see.

Our doctor said that most younger kids do not get seasick but did recommend the liquid Benadryl if we found we needed to use something. The kids were fine. I was the one that was really, really sick. :sad2:

Our doctor said that most younger kids do not get seasick but did recommend the liquid Benadryl if we found we needed to use something. The kids were fine. I was the one that was really, really sick. :sad2:

Any suggestions for possible help with sea sickness for a bit older children Ages 6,10,11,14,16 ? I imagine my 14 and 16 year old could use what ever adults use.... what ever that is. Help with that too..??? Thanks.

My pediatrician also recomended Benedryl for motion sickness and the for the flight , he said it would also help with ear pain that sometimes happens.Hopefully it will also make her sleep through the airplane ride? We'll see.

My pediatrician told us the same thing. I actually used it on my last flight because my daughter always gets ear aches on planes. I used to give her a sippy cup (when she used one) while ascending or descending. One time they gave me two plastic cups and told me to put them on and off her ears while ascending and descending. The last time we flew I just gave her Benedryl - she slept to whole time. It was just a relief to know she wasn't in pain.

On another note, I just went to look at my dramamine bottle. It says that you can give 1/2 a pill every 6 hours to children 2 - 6. Not sure how comfortable I am with that. My daughter hasn't had any problems on cruises so far (she is 3). DH was the only one who used them for motion sickness.

I cruised with my sons 1 and 3 in August. My 3 year old gets ill in a long car ride or plane ride. He throws up every time and it is horrible to see him so sick, it breaks my heart every time. I brought along sea bands and made him wear them the first night as it was a little rough, he never got sick and he didn't wear them for the rest of the cruise. My 1 year old was fine without anything. My plan B (if he was to get sick) was to take him up to Deck 10 or whatever the top deck was and let him get fresh air and have him look out to regulate what his inner ears were feeling and what his eyes were seeing. I never had to do that though. I would bring benadryl as a back-up, get some sea bands, and I think you will be fine.

For all you adults who got really sick , did you take a dramamine and then all was well? I've never been on a ship before and after reading this thread I'm kind of nervous. Here I'm worried about my kids getting sick and me and DH will probably be the ones hurling all over:scared1: I never have gotten sick from car rides but when my kids spin me on the computer chair my stomach definately flips , hopefully cruising is easier than the computer chair.:laughing:

I'm in Canada and we have Gravol liquid for children ages 2+. It contains 15mg dimenhydrinate in a 5ml teaspoon. On the bottle it indicates that children ages 2-6 years can take 1 tsp every 6-8 hours.

For all you adults who got really sick , did you take a dramamine and then all was well? I've never been on a ship before and after reading this thread I'm kind of nervous. Here I'm worried about my kids getting sick and me and DH will probably be the ones hurling all over:scared1: I never have gotten sick from car rides but when my kids spin me on the computer chair my stomach definately flips , hopefully cruising is easier than the computer chair.:laughing:

Better safe than sorry. I was a;ways told that the ships were large enough that you could hardly feel the motion. I did not want to take the chance that I would be sick on my first cruise ever so I got a prescription for the scopolamine patch that you wear behind your ear.

IT SAVED MY VACATION!!!!!!

Seas were so rough on 12/17/09 cruise that we could not dock at Castaway Cay. Even some of the crew were getting sick. I was fine! It made my vision a little blurry when trying to read, but it was a small price to pay IMHO. My 7 yr old who NEVER gets motion sickness, felt a little ill at dinner the first night but one chewable children's dramamine (purchased onboard) did the trick.

Good luck.

Remember, it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!

Shan :)

I take Bonine. It helps me tremendously! Last cruise I packed it in my luggage and we left port prior to gettign our bags. Huge mistake. Within half an hour I was sooooo sick and just wanted to end the trip. I finally got my Bonine.. took it and went to bed. Woke up just fine then and continued taking it daily. If you think you will get sick.. don't chance it. Better safe than sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter