what to avoid

I don't have a problem typing complete sentences, but I don't consider common internet acronyms to be an affliction either. I consider IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), AFAIK (As Far As I Know), YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) to be as legitimate as RSVP (Répondez S'il Vous Plaît).

YMMV, but I find that standard accuracy disclaimers are easier to read as acronyms than written out. I once have to cut an internet acquaintance off because she insisted that "cubbard" was an acceptable spelling of "cupboard", and things like that do start to grate on your nerves once you notice them.

Addressing the question OP asked.. I agree with others. Pizza at Redd Rockets is not so good. I've heard their pasta is good though? I haven't tried that though.

And this is where I differ from a lot of people, I think, but I wasn't a fan of dinner (buffet) at Storyteller's Cafe.

I have a question about Big Thunder Mountain BBQ, it be ok I didn't order a meal for my DD (4)? she is very picky and doesn't eat any of the stuff they serve, at least that I saw. But I think I will order her a dessert. It is not like im trying to save money and share she just simply wont even eat it! But with an all you can eat I never know what to do.

I have a question about Big Thunder Mountain BBQ, it be ok I didn't order a meal for my DD (4)? she is very picky and doesn't eat any of the stuff they serve, at least that I saw. But I think I will order her a dessert. It is not like im trying to save money and share she just simply wont even eat it! But with an all you can eat I never know what to do.

Is there a reason why you would want to eat there if she won't eat anything? It is okay, but I wouldn't feel like I had to eat there. We go there to see the animals (there is a petting zoo with goats and sheep) and see Woody and Jessie, but you don't have to eat there to get in. You just walk in and enjoy, and then can eat some place else, right?

I'm not sure you can just order a dessert. I thought the price was fixed (there is no dinner menu) and the dessert was an add on. I could be wrong. Plus, the desserts are designed to feed a family of 4-6. If I were going some place for just dessert, it'd be the Blue Bayou where everything is off a menu.

I seem to recall people being able to go to the BBQ and just order dessert, but I don't think they had a "mixed" table (some with food, some without). That may be the limitation.

The food at Disneyland Resort has drastically changed since 2009. 2009 was when I stopped wanting to eat anything in the park. It was all just gross. Seriously, every last thing just tasted horrible to me.

On our last trip though, it was like the entire resort had received a food make-over. Almost everything we had was great.

That said, I won't eat at the following:

* Golden Horseshoe (Just walk over to Riverbelle if you need some food. It's about a million times better.)

* Rancho del Zocallo - horrible, horrible, inedible Mexican food. So sad because I LOOOOOVE the ambiance. :(

* Redd Rockett's Pizza Port - Don't. Just don't.

A lot of people seem to dislike Hungry Bear, but my sandwich was really good. I had the Turkey and Provolone. DH had the Chicken Sandwich and also enjoyed it. There were no complaints in our group, and the bumblebee cupcake was awesome.

We really like Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta in DCA.
Flo's was good (loved the turkey dinner).
Tri-Tip at Ariel's is Great.
Filet Mignon at Blue Bayou is amazing.

Disneyland:
Dole Whip
Corn dog
Blue Bayou
Potato at The Galley
Gumbo at New Orleans Square
Frontierland BBq
Bengal BBQ
Plaza inn chicken
Redd rockets chicken pasta
Popcorn when it us fresh out of the machine worth the wait to be nearby when they make a fresh batch
Fantasy fair chocolate twist.

DCA:
Flos
Pasta and Mediterranean in paradise pier
White water snacks even though its at Grand California but close to the entrance to dca

Disneyland:
Dole Whip
Corn dog
Blue Bayou
Potato at The Galley
Gumbo at New Orleans Square
Frontierland BBq
Bengal BBQ
Plaza inn chicken
Redd rockets chicken pasta
Popcorn when it us fresh out of the machine worth the wait to be nearby when they make a fresh batch
Fantasy fair chocolate twist.

DCA:
Flos
Pasta and Mediterranean in paradise pier
White water snacks even though its at Grand California but close to the entrance to dca

I'll agree that most of these are to be avoided. Although as Penny said the food is slowly improving.

Definitely the DTD beignets. The Mickey Head ones in the park were a sad disappointment after the Jazz Kitchen version.

And I'm the opposite. I thought the Jazz ones were smelly and greasy and weird. Right now, years later, I can't recall what real beignets taste like, but when I very first had them at Jazz Kitchen I could remember what they were supposed to taste like, and they were NOTHING like what I'd had in New Orleans. I far prefer the ones in the park.

Though I actually prefer the weird RSV fritters. But that might just be because the line is more in control, with less wait time for food, than the beignet mint julep window. And because I always peer pressure MYSELF into getting a julep, and I have a love/hate relationship with them. Love them just enough to keep ordering them...hate them just enough that I never totally finish one. And no one else in my family will drink what's left.

We avoid Bengal BBQ - only tried it once after passing it for years always thinking, "that place always smells so yummy - we should get something there sometime...". I thought the food was terrible. 5 members of our family sampled everything they had and everybody agreed. Granted, we are extremely spoiled with my hubby's mad grilling skills on a regular basis at home...so maybe we're just unable to appreciate anything that is supposed to be grilled that doesn't taste pretty amazing. The beef was tough, portions were crazy small for the price, the sauce was "meh" considering how good it smells, and the bread was nothing special. IMHO.

Did you guys try the veggie skewer? I loved that. Really hits the spot for me.

I second this! It was hands down the best thing at the Surf's Up breakfast for me, and my favorite item in all of the different character meals. I would pay for that meal again, for sure (plus my kids loved the characters) :thumbsup2

Yay! A like-minded soul! I'm not into characters (never have been) so I'm a less-than-willing participant (and budgeter) for character meals, but Surf's Up? Oh yeah. I used to eat all sorts of stuff there at that breakfast (when it was Lilo and Stitch), including the rice in the rice cooker, and now I'll go and happily pay however much it costs just for access to those huevos....

I avoid the burgers everywhere but at Storyteller's Cafe -- at counter service in DL and DCA they are prefab and dry. One more "not a fan" of Carnation Cafe; to me the food is just the level of Denny's or Mimi's Cafe and not worth stopping our day for an hour. DH likes it a lot though so we usually go there at least 1x each trip.
I like pretty much everything else at both Parks though -- I'm pretty easy to please as long as no mayo is in my food! [The slaw/relish on the Hungry Bear fried tomato sandwich is absolutely delicious and no mayo!]

Did you guys try the veggie skewer? I loved that. Really hits the spot for me.

Yep. But like I said, DH grills regularly for us, so we're probably just spoiled. He often grills asparagus, onions, peppers, and mushrooms - and everybody but one kid (my picky eater) devour them all up every time. I expected Bengal BBQ to taste so good because of the yummy smells, and then I was like :crazy2: really? I'm glad they have something there that you like! :goodvibes I know a lot of people like their skewers, particularly the bacon wrapped asparagus (which was the only one we thought was worth eating - although not good enough to buy it again).

Okay, whate the heck is "IIRC"???? I have been going to Disneyland for 15+ years (multiple times per year!) and have no clue. I have been coming to the Disboards for almost that long. So, if I have no clue, then I think then general pubic will also have no clue. I am so against the initials as well as the nicknames of intials--("ressies" is a constant unfavorite of mine!).

IIRC is a standard net acronym for "If I recall correctly." A person who commits the egregious grammar faux pas of multiple question marks on one sentence is certainly in no position to be criticizing someone else for using acronyms.

I am sorry you didn't understand it but there was no need to be rude. You could just as easily have asked politely.

We avoid Village Haus, Hungry Bear and The place in Tomorrowland back in the corner by the rocket. I think the fried chicken at Plaza Inn is overrated, just because you get a lot and can split it doesn't mean it tastes good.

We love Carnation Cafe..loaded baked potato soup is yummy
River Belle Terrace is great for late breakfast with wonderful view of the park while eating outside.
Corn dog cart- yummy
Blue Bayou is a nice splurge- I always get the short rib :love:
I liked the salad I had at Flo's V8, forgot the name of it.
We like Rancho del Zocalo but not every time.

I want to try the big thunder ranch BBQ this time:)

I was guessing all those were recommended..... not to be avoided. :confused3

I couldn't tell, but I assumed they are not recommended since the title of the thread is food to avoid...

Also they listed Dole Whip. If they used natural ingredients I would recommend, but when I found out they are made from the following...

Dole Whip Ingredients

Sugar, Dextrose, Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

Hey at least there is some actual pineapple juice in it.
What more could anyone want, right? Lol ;)

MillauFr said:
Dole Whip Ingredients

Sugar, Dextrose, Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).
Worse than those gross Orange Julius things from the mall.

I would avoid Napolini in DtD. Disappointing experience.
Avoid the pizza at Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, but the pasta is ok.
We had a lousy experience at Cafe Orleans, so we avoid the place now but I know it's popular with others.
I didn't enjoy Rancho del Zocalo at all the one time I tried it and have been reluctant to give it a second chance.
Breakfast at Flo's in Carsland was no good when we tried it last July. We like dinner there though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter