What time to reserve California Grill for fireworks view?

Kaylars

Mouseketeer
We're going this December for our Honeymoon and are thinking of dinning there our first night (non park day) to really put us in the magic. What time would you suggest our reservation be made for?

Also I don't think it will be Wishes since MVMCP will be that evening. Or would you suggest going to that instead?

California Grill would be a great choice for your first night of your honeymoon (congratulations!!) :cloud9:

I would say maybe an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes prior to the fireworks time. Others may have additional thoughts.

Best wishes. :love:

We had reservations at 7:05 for 8pm fireworks. When the fireworks start, the dim the lights and pipe in the music.

Make sure that you ask to sit by the windows (when you check in). We told them we were more than willing to wait and it was totally worth it!

It is the best place to watch the fireworks! Truly magical!

ps the food is delicious too!

Mandy:goodvibes

We've found that making a reservation about 60-90 minutes before Wishes works best for us. If you are dining on the MVMCP night, Holiday Wishes is at 9:30.

Both times we ate there Wishes was at 10pm so we had 8pm ADR. If Wishes were earlier than 10pm I would probably do 60-90 min. prior. The servers are very good at knowing how to space out your dinner. First time we had a great seat right on the window and watched from there, when we were there this month we had a terrible table way in the back, I politely asked if we could be moved and we were given a both right by the balcony door which was better for us. We poppped out on the balcony 10 min prior.

However there was a large party seated right in front of us and for the life of me I will never understand why they allowed their three young children to roll around on the carpet in the aisle and under their table, along with licking their hands and smearing them on the window! :scared1: It was disgusting. We were so relieved when they left about 20 min. after we were seated. Some people just have a really different standard of appropriate behavior than I do! :sad2:

Even if your reservation doesn't coincide with the actual fireworks time, you can return with your receipt from dinner and watch from the roof. We've done this several times, and it's still a delight.

Twilight view from California Grill May 7, 2014.

DSC05283.jpg

It is pretty special. It was an expensive evening but our "kids" ages 18 and 22 really enjoyed the whole experience. We had been there once alone with out our kids but now that they are older and more adventurous eaters we knew they would enjoy it. My DS ordered the bison, this from a kid I used to have to carry ketchup and peanutbutter packets in my purse for so he could get through a restaurant meal! ::yes:: The evening also gave us a much needed night off our feet and out of the crowds and heat!

Both times we ate there Wishes was at 10pm so we had 8pm ADR. If Wishes were earlier than 10pm I would probably do 60-90 min. prior. The servers are very good at knowing how to space out your dinner. First time we had a great seat right on the window and watched from there, when we were there this month we had a terrible table way in the back, I politely asked if we could be moved and we were given a both right by the balcony door which was better for us. We poppped out on the balcony 10 min prior.

However there was a large party seated right in front of us and for the life of me I will never understand why they allowed their three young children to roll around on the carpet in the aisle and under their table, along with licking their hands and smearing them on the window! :scared1: It was disgusting. We were so relieved when they left about 20 min. after we were seated. Some people just have a really different standard of appropriate behavior than I do! :sad2:

I have a reservation at 7:25 and wishes goes off at 9. Do you think that will work?

I have a reservation at 7:25 and wishes goes off at 9. Do you think that will work?

Yes I'm sure it will, just let your server know you if you intend to step outside to watch. Our server held our dessert order until wishes was over, he served it just minutes after we were reseated, perfectly timed.

Enjoy.

Wow that's beautiful. Perfect view. I might have to consider this for our first or last night.
It is a beautiful view. Just keep in mind that many/most of the Wishes fireworks are actually launched from quite a distance behind the castle, actually outside the Magic Kingdom proper and will not look properly aligned. It will look fabulous though. :thumbsup2

You can see the launch area here on this Bing map, the small square area near Floridian Way road.

http://binged.it/1vnxmse

I have a 915 reservation for a ten o'clock showing. Is that a bad thing? It was the only dinner time available

If you go up to the bar around that time just to have a drink, can you still go to the balcony to watch Wishes? And can you hear the audio out there at all?

I called wanting reservations on a night that had Wishes at 8pm, and they were booked up before, so she booked us for 8:15pm and she said that we could just come up ahead of time to watch on the overlook. We went around 7:30pm, ordered drinks and took them outside to watch, then came in for our meal. It was lovely.

One thing to note is that I think the photo posted above is zoomed in more than the actual distance you'll see when you're up there. It's beautiful, but not quite that close in person.

So glad you asked this Kaylars!! We are honeymooning at Disney in December too (Nov 30-Dec 6th) and I was wondering this exact thing!! We are getting close to our 180+10 ADR time, so I've been (over)analyzing our picks and trying to figure out what for which night... I had planned on doing the California Grill for another night, but I may swap it to our arrival night and do another for the night I had planned for it, just so we can catch the fireworks too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter