What time to leave to get to SNA airport?

Donathius

Mouseketeer
So I'm basically doing a one day out-and-back trip in February. Flying to SNA in the morning and a return flight in the evening. The return flight starts boarding at 7:20 p.m. and I figure I want to be at the airport by 6:30 at the latest. I don't need to check bags or anything, just need to walk through security and find my gate. Anyone have advice on what time I should plan to leave the park? I'm planning on just getting Uber/Lyft to take me back to the airport.

It often only takes 20 minutes to get to SNA but you're arriving during evening rush hour. What day of the week are you travelling? If a weekend, you can probably leave after 5:30. If a weekday, I'd say closer to 5:00.

Another important factor is security. Do you have precheck? If so, there's usually never a line. If you don't have precheck, I've seen the line often backed up quite a bit.

I'm going to be there on a Tuesday.

I've considered getting pre-check. I haven't flown a ton in the past, but it's going to be happening more this year.

I am doing an up and back trip in February too on a Tuesday! My flight leaves at 8:45 PM so we are planning to call an Uber/Lyft between 6:30 and 6:45. Assuming you are flying Southwest I would assume your flight leaves at 7:50 PM based on you saying they board at 7:20 so I would arrive at the airport 1 hour 15 minutes before my flight, allow 30 minutes for the Uber ride and 15 minutes to get the Uber so 2 hours before my flight time I would call the Uber/Lyft since you are not checking luggage or anything like that. I find that even without pre-check it only takes about 10 minutes at most to get through security at SNA.

Assuming all of this I would call the Uber at 5:45 and maybe 5:30 if I felt like giving myself more buffer.

I'm actually flying on Breeze. They are starting a daily route next month from the regional airport 15 minutes from my house that leaves at 7:00 a.m. and gets to SNA about 8 (local time) and then a return flight at 7:30(ish) each evening. Local Disnerds are calling it the "Disneyland Express" because they're so cheap. Round trip is around $100/person and I get to sleep in my own bed.

I'd recommend trying to get there within 2 hours of scheduled departure. But if something goes south (like a flat tire or bad traffic) then you have a little bit of leeway. If you want to get better estimates, check with a mapping tool and download the TSA app for estimated wait times. I don't believe they ever get crazy like LAX would.

I remember returning a card at SNA and we got there 2 hours before our flight. But traffic was somewhat heavy but we still made it with plenty of time to spare. It's better to be there early than late.

I am doing almost the same thing on Southwest from San Jose. Flight leaves at 6:45 AM and lands at 8:05 AM. Flight home at 8:45 PM and lands at 10:05 PM. I live about 10 minutes from the airport so I am guessing I will be in bed by 11 PM exhausted after a good day at Disney. Flights were on sale last week for $49 each way!

I'm actually flying on Breeze. They are starting a daily route next month from the regional airport 15 minutes from my house that leaves at 7:00 a.m. and gets to SNA about 8 (local time) and then a return flight at 7:30(ish) each evening. Local Disnerds are calling it the "Disneyland Express" because they're so cheap. Round trip is around $100/person and I get to sleep in my own bed.

I would love a review of Breeze Airways when you get home. I am considering them for SNA to Orlando. They are offering direct flights for that route too. And the price is not too bad overall and would save me the trip to LAX. But I just cannot find any information from people who have flown them. They seem a little like Frontier or Spirit with no frills and I am not into that idea for a 5 hours flight.

I would love a review of Breeze Airways when you get home. I am considering them for SNA to Orlando. They are offering direct flights for that route too. And the price is not too bad overall and would save me the trip to LAX. But I just cannot find any information from people who have flown them. They seem a little like Frontier or Spirit with no frills and I am not into that idea for a 5 hours flight.

Same. Although they still don't offer in flight wifi or food, so it'll probably be a skip for us until those are in place (they are coming).

I've considered getting pre-check. I haven't flown a ton in the past, but it's going to be happening more this year.
I got it a year or so ago and it has magically resulted in there being short lines for both PreCheck and regular passengers whenever I fly. :-) But I'm sure if I let it lapse the long lines for non-PreCheck will reappear...

Of course, line length aside, it's nice not having to take off my shoes or a light jacket.

I got it a year or so ago and it has magically resulted in there being short lines for both PreCheck and regular passengers whenever I fly. :-) But I'm sure if I let it lapse the long lines for non-PreCheck will reappear...

Of course, line length aside, it's nice not having to take off my shoes or a light jacket.
Haha same. Funny how that works. Half the time my friends without precheck make it through just as fast but it is worth it to me for the shoes and not worrying about taking things out of my bag.

Last time my wife and I flew home from SNA, the precheck line was extremely short (I want to say maybe 2 people long) while the normal line ran half the length of the airport. It was crazy. I have never seen SNA’s security line so long. We were very happy to have it that day.

Coming back from Orlando, my wife was able to take our two non-adult daughters with her through precheck but I stuck with my adult sons (who didn’t qualify). They were through in under 5 minutes while we were more like 45 minutes in line.

So it can still pay off!

Last edited:
Last time my wife and I flew home from SNA, the precheck line was extremely short (I want to say maybe 2 people long) while the normal line ran half the length of the airport. It was crazy. I have never seen SNA’s security line so long. We were very happy to have it that day.

Coming back from Orlando, my wife was about to take our two non-adult daughters with her through precheck but I stuck with my adult sons (who didn’t qualify). They were through in under 5 minutes while we were more like 45 minutes in line.

So it can still pay off!
When I was at SNA on Tuesday, the regular line ran half the length of the airport and precheck had no one else in line. We went through in 2 minutes. The regular line would have taken at least 20-30 minutes.

When I was at SNA on Tuesday, the regular line ran half the length of the airport and precheck had no one else in line. We went through in 2 minutes. The regular line would have taken at least 20-30 minutes.
I have never looked at precheck before. I always thought it was $100/year and I don’t fly enough for it to be worth it. I didn’t realize that was for 5 years! I’m definitely doing this for me and my wife! We’re just going to go ahead and do the Global one since we’ve got some international travel planned later this year.

I have never looked at precheck before. I always thought it was $100/year and I don’t fly enough for it to be worth it. I didn’t realize that was for 5 years! I’m definitely doing this for me and my wife! We’re just going to go ahead and do the Global one since we’ve got some international travel planned later this year.
I fly a lot, so it's a no brainer for me. I understand other people don't fly as much. Some credit cards also give a credit once every 5 years for one adult.

Doing Global Entry is a good choice since it includes precheck. Do know there might be an interview/appointment requirement when you first sign up. I'm not exactly sure how this works post Covid as I've had mine for a long time and my renewal was all online.

Do know there might be an interview/appointment requirement when you first sign up. I'm not exactly sure how this works post Covid as I've had mine for a long time and my renewal was all online.
I got my PreCheck approval about a year and a half ago. When I went to the appointment they asked me to briefly take off my mask so they could take a full-face photo of me. Otherwise I had it on the whole time. Nowadays I bet most people aren't even wearing masks while waiting for their appointment. I wondered whether renewals could be done online so I'm glad to hear that is indeed the case. I recently got a Visa card that will cover the PreCheck fee so I'll take advantage of that when I renew.

Coming back from Orlando, my wife was able to take our two non-adult daughters with her through precheck but I stuck with my adult sons (who didn’t qualify). They were through in under 5 minutes while we were more like 45 minutes in line.

So it can still pay off!

Kids can get their own KTN number once they turn 13. I did it for both my kids.

It's so weird. I thought I'd check it out but it is telling me they don't fly to or from SNA. Ok just went back in and I guess it goes by Orange County instead of SNA when I searched. Sadly though they don't fly out of Phoenix right now so it won't help me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter