what time to leave MK to catch flight?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We usually drive, but I'm flying for my solo trip, and need a little advice. I currently have a rental car reserved, but am trying to decide whether or not to keep it. One significant factor for me is how much time a rental car will add to my park time on my last day.

I depart MCO at 5:50 pm on a Wednesday in September. I'm spending that day at MK.

If I keep the rental, what time would I have to leave MK to (comfortably) make my flight?

If I have to return to my resort (CSR) to catch ME, what time should I leave MK?

TIA!

Last edited:
It took us about 45 minutes to make it from WDW to MCO. The general rule is to check in for your flight 2 hours prior for domestic, so you should be there by 3:50. I would probably drop the rental around 3:30, so I would think you'd need to leave around 2:45ish.

Magical Express (which I think is what you meant?) picks you up 3 hours prior to your flight and they ask that you arrive 15 minutes before, so you would need to be back at CSR by 2:35. In order to make that, you'd need to leave around 2.

So ultimately, provided my math makes sense (somewhere my teachers are laughing), the rental car would allow you more time.

If your math teachers are laughing, so are my English teachers! Yes, I meant ME! And thanks so much for the info!

Yes, the rental car will allow you a little more time. And by little, we're probably talking <1 hour. I would plan on pulling out of the parking spot by 3PM. This allows for travel time to MCO, stop for gas, and turning in the car. That should get you walking into the airport itself 3:45-4pm. That's where *I'M* comfortable with. That means walking out of MK 2:30ish and monorail or ferry back to TTC.

As mentioned, your DME pickup will be about 2:50 (+/- 15 minutes), so you'll need to be at your resort ready to board the bus by 2:35 (+/- 15 minutes). If you follow the general guidelines to allow for an hour for Disney transportation (I'm thinking you could probably cut that down to 45 minutes for travelling during the middle of the day), that means walking out of MK ~1:30PM. About an hour difference. Of course, if your DME pickup time is 3:05, that means walking out of MK at 1:45, but if it's 2:35, you'll walk out at 1:15.

Well, with the very helpful info you both provided, think I'll cancel the car rental and spend that $100 on adult beverages instead. :drinking1 I'm traveling alone this trip, so will be taking taxis in the evenings to meals at other resorts (would have done this even if keeping car). I'll give up that feeling of "having more freedom" by renting a car, and have the freedom of not having to drive at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter