What time should I arrive at the Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaykels

My happily ever after began on Castaway Cay
I am a first timer and not sure what time to arrive at Port. I know that I can board the ship around noon but I understand that there can be long lines. What time do you all get in line? I have 3 small children with me so I'm afraid that they will be difficult to handle in a long line, but I want to get on as soon as possible!(who wouldn't!) What time does it open? Any suggestions?

I have 3 small children with me so I'm afraid that they will be difficult to handle in a long line

Just curious, kaykels. Will they be any better behaved in a short line with a long wait???...

You have to go to Terminal 8 which is for Disney Cruise Ships (Magic & Wonder) only. Some of the terminals are shared by different cruise lines, but Terminal 8 is exclusive to Disney.

Explore this website - http://www.portcanaveral.org/floridafun/cruise.htm - it gives you and incredible amount of information about the port. You can call the port directly for any questions you might have.

In regard to how early you should get there:

I think the terminal opens at 11:00 am, but I am not sure, it may be 12 noon. Once you get into the terminal you will queue up to fill out paperwork and show your indentification at a check-in desk (similiar to any Disney front desk check-in). You have to check-in and complete your passenger paperwork before you can board the ship. Have your indentification available before entering the terminal and when filling out the paperwork.

The packet of information you receive from DCL will require you to fill in information about the passengers. Try to get as much of that done up front so you are not standing at the "check-in" desk trying to finalize your paperwork and keeping tracking of the children.

Although you may gain entrance to the terminal the check-in process may not begin until 1:00 pm. It varies depending on Disney's readiness to accept passengers.

My suggestion: Don't show up any later than noon. It is most busy between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. The ship will embark at 5:00 pm. Be sure to be on deck 9 or 10 for the Embarkation party (weather permitting).

Have a great time and have a "Bon Voyage" cocktail for me.

Jeff (Buddy Bear) Langdon
Pin Clubs Founder
http://www.pinclubs.com

We sailed on the Magic in January of this year. Although we had been on the Wonder before, this was our first 7 day cruise, so we wanted our vacation to start as early as possible.

We used DCL transfers, and caught the 2nd bus to the port. It left about 9:45 and we got to the port about 10:45. Check-in went quickly, and we were about the 20th or 30th family in line. I think they boarded about 12:30, so our wait was about 1 1/2 hours.

IMHO, the wait went by quickly. We were so excited, and there is a lot of activity in the terminal. We took turns with DS going out to look at the ship, look at the model, visit with the characters that came out, go to the potty etc. . . We also met other Dissers in line. Because we had a thread going for our cruise, I "knew" those folks in advance so it was easy conversation. Once the ship opened up, the line moved fast, but I was glad we were not at the end of the line. It was so great to get on the ship.:smooth: :smooth:

However, having said that, 3 kids is a lot more work than one. Is another adult going with you? Seems like that would make a big difference.

O.k. . . thats it for me. I will let someone else weigh in.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have other adults traveling with me so I figured that we can take turns with the kids or I could get to the port a little bit sooner without them. I appreciate your advice Piper and Jeff!!!!!
As for Buckaroo, this is a board for information to help each other, not to pass insults. Where's the Disney Spirit?????????
Happy cruising all. I can't wait!

Rachel,

Buckaroo's Dad (BD, to those who know him) is the resident grammarian and seer of irony in others writing.

If you look back, he did not insult you or your children. He took your writing and asked a rhetorical question based on it.

IMHO, he meant nothing more than to entertain.

BD has taught me the importance of previewing submissions for clarity and to make them BD proof.

Whatever you do, don't ask if he or anyone is a party pooper, you WON'T like that answer.

Jim

My suggestion: Don't show up any later than noon. It is most busy between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm.

Actually the terminal is pretty EMPTY at that time. If you want to avoid a wait arrive around 12:30 to 1:00; you will be checked in within minutes and will generally walk right on the ship. The terminal opens for check-ins around 10:30 am, and once boarding begins (usually around 12:00 to 12:30) it clears out pretty quickly.

Enjoy! :)

Originally posted by kaykels
As for Buckaroo, this is a board for information to help each other, not to pass insults. Where's the Disney Spirit?????????
Happy cruising all. I can't wait!

BD did not mean anything "mean or insulting". It was in TRUE BD spirit. You'll learn our "lingo" if you stay on this board for awhile.

HEY BD... congrats on your tag!!! I just noticed!

Personally, I thought BD's post was insipid, impertinent and one that should result in an apology to Rachel.

BD: In the future if I post a question I would appreciate it if you didn't reply since your responses offer nothing of value.

Jeff

Originally posted by PinClubs
Personally, I thought BD's post was insipid, impertinent and one that should result in an apology to Rachel.

BD: In the future if I post a question I would appreciate it if you didn't reply since your responses offer nothing of value.

Jeff

oh my, then you're not going to like it around here... BD did nothing wrong and doesn't need to apologize. Before jumping to conclusions without knowing us here on this board, you should read other posts and you'll find that we play very nice here. Those who don't agree with us, usually take their toys and go home, which is fine too.

Originally posted by Jeanny
oh my, then you're not going to like it around here... BD did nothing wrong and doesn't need to apologize. Before jumping to conclusions without knowing us here on this board, you should read other posts and you'll find that we play very nice here. Those who don't agree with us, usually take their toys and go home, which is fine too.

:jester:

Jeanny,

With all do respect you should take notice that I registered on this board two months before you did. I didn't show up yesterday, I have been following the DIS boards for over two years.

There are over 55,000 people registered on DIS, so I don't know who you mean by "us".

Jeff

In the future if I post a question I would appreciate it if you didn't reply since your responses offer nothing of value.

Ok.

However, Jeff, we live in times that defy logic and burden the future of humanity with hatred. On an individual basis there is not much we can do. Sign petitions. Conserve natural resources. Teach our children right from wrong. Love thy neighbor. All those lovely cliches which mean so much when put into action. I also love to employ humor in many, if not most, instances. It is merely to relieve stress and help alleviate the pain which can permeate anyone's life at any time. Read enough threads on these boards and you'll see how insignificant your problems can be in comparison to others. My response to the starter of this thread was meant to be humorous within the context of how they posed their question. No more, no less. Was it of no value? Well, perhaps to you. Maybe many. Or even almost all. But if one Diser smiled after experiencing a lousy day, a frustrating afternoon of football or - heaven forbid - one of those dreaded late night calls then I did my good deed. I guess, Jeff, it's all a matter of perspective.

And by the way, I did apologize. My post, however, was removed because I went a trifle beyond simply apologizing...

Originally posted by PinClubs
Jeanny,

With all do respect you should take notice that I registered on this board two months before you did. I didn't show up yesterday, I have been following the DIS boards for over two years.

There are over 55,000 people registered on DIS, so I don't know who you mean by "us".Jeff

if you actually took a moment to read instead of jumping, I SAID "Here on this board" I meant "us" here on the Disney Cruise line forum.

You may have registered before me, but have you been on this board.. this forum... these threads much?? maybe you're not posting here much and seems like you're not reading much either as you're not accustomed to our posts.

So, if you don't like what someone has to say, simply don't read their posts... there is one "Dis-er" here whom I choose not to read anything she posts... when I see she has started a thread, I don't read it, because I know what she is going to bring into the thread. When I see that BD has posted or started a thread, I can't wait to read what he has to say...

So stick around here , we'll become your new best friends if you stop jumping at us... as in us, here on the this board....this forum... these threads...

So to answer Kaykels question... if you are going to have other adults with you who can help entertain your 3 little ones, take turns walking around the terminal and enjoy, the time goes quickly from what I've read and have been told... read some trip reports, you'll learn a lot.

Having partaken in flame wars on other venues I can understand perhaps why B.D.'s initial comments could be misconstrued but I know he didn't mean any disresepct.
That said at times B.D. does get carried away, but then again we never ask him who it was that carried him away. We have no idea who these women are but he wasn't complaining :)
Anyway lets not keep going at one another over this. Whoever (or is that whomever) joined first, posts more, reads more doesn't really matter.
To quote that great thespian...
"Can't we just all get along". - Rodney King
Cheers,
Grumbo

After nearly four years on these boards, BD is the ONLY person I have ever put on my ignore list. I don't care if he is fooling around or just trying to be cute. I find him often rude, obnoxious, and diversionary when people are trying to get information on this board. I am fully aware of board personalities and intended humor, and I get along with a lot of other people around here who tend to be biting in their responses, impatient, or overly harsh. After a while, I have found that I simply can't put up with BD's behavior. I know this is off-topic, but since I have stewed about this character for nearly a month (and noticed how pleasant the board was in his absence), so the demand for an apology IMHO was certainly not out of line when such stupid behavior is aimed at a newcomer. I, too, have gotten my self in trouble at times with my flip humor (or attempts at humor). If BD is the great person that so many claim he is, I challenge him to publicly show it on this board by refraining from his "cute" behavior for a meaningful period of time so that those who are as sick of him as I am can be proven wrong and he can show his good qualities that some many seem to attest to. In faith that he will perhaps give this a shot, I will be removing BD from my ignore list and give him another chance (I know, I know, "that's real big of me" but so many people seem to vouch for this guy that I am willing to try to have a more open mind).

MY, MY, MY, Lets not get testy here people! (BD I would pass the "test":p )

I do not think ANY disrespect or insult were intended nor should it be taken. When you post on a message board some may agree with you, some may not. Those who think BD was being rude may just not be used to his quick wit and sly typing! Take a deep breath and all will be better in the morning.

Kaykels try and get to the terminal a little after 1 it seems to be a little less crowded then. If you are having trouble with keeping tabs on the little ones ask one of the castmembers to give you a hand I am sure they would be helpful.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your cruise!

Steve

Doctor P

I know this is off-topic, but since I have stewed about this character for nearly a month (and noticed how pleasant the board was in his absence), so the demand for an apology IMHO was certainly not out of line when such stupid behavior is aimed at a newcomer.

Yes, it is very off topic.

That said, I see nothing "stupid" in my original post. Perhaps you're merely looking at your own reflection.

If BD is the great person that so many claim he is, I challenge him to publicly show it on this board by refraining from his "cute" behavior for a meaningful period of time so that those who are as sick of him as I am can be proven wrong and he can show his good qualities that some many seem to attest to.

What in heavens name are you talking about? Obviously, you detest me. Fine. Place me back on "ignore" because you are asking me to change the person that I am - and that isn't ever going to happen. How about I ask you to act in a more civil manner and instead of surprising me with a "sucker punch" (which shows the caliber of YOUR character), send me an e-mail or pm. I'll gladly trade offenses with you privately. It's quite easy when you discover no earthly reason to respect someone, Doctor P...

BD: I understand your point, but not your initial response.

To me, these forums are a source of information and a place where I can either learn or help others.

For your "friends" I imagine your sarcasm must have been humorous, although I looked at it as a woman (new to the forum) who was looking for valuable information and was handled in a snide fashion by the "veterans".

In the words of Captain Hook, "Poor form, very poor form".

I don't feel the need to belabor this point since you did say that an apology was issued. Thank you for the clarification.

Jeanny: Although I don't post a lot I do check in frequently to see if there is any news about a new cruise ship or whatever else might be topical. There are many folks that just reads these boards and do not participate, so I am sorry, but the inference that I am new is irritating.

What do you mean by "not accustom to our" posts? Who is supposed to be included in "our"? You seem to have intimate knowledge of the most important people on this forum, so could you please let me know of the 55,000 registered people who are the important ones that would be included in "our".

Is this an exclusive "clique"? What are the membership dues?

There are certain assumptions that are going on here and I am just trying to point them out. I am sorry if you misunderstand me.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter