what time did the ship leave port?

mnbrowns

DIS Veteran
We had a bad storm which held up a lot of flights this morning and I have friends that were worried about making the ship. I beleive their flight finally landed at 3:15pm but I was wondering if there is any wany of knowing exactly what time the ship left the port today.

Generally they leave around 5pm. Manifests I believe have to be done by a certain time and from what I have heard they close the doors at 4pm. If the plane didn't land until 3:15 given that it takes roughly 15-30 mins to get bags from the flight at baggage claim, and its 45-60 minutes to the Port. I doubt they made it :( If they booked the airfare through DCL directly they may have made arrangements for them to join the ship at a later port either the Virgin Islands or Mexico depending on itinerary but not sure how late they'd hold the ship in port for late flights.

Its this situation that reaffirms for me why we would fly into a departure port the day before a cruise because we wouldn't want to risk flight delays causing us to miss the ship.

I recall that the eastern seaboard was having bad weather when we took our Western a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, some people had to be bussed down to Key West to catch the cruise there because their planes landed too late because of weather.

Generally they leave around 5pm. Manifests I believe have to be done by a certain time and from what I have heard they close the doors at 4pm. If the plane didn't land until 3:15 given that it takes roughly 15-30 mins to get bags from the flight at baggage claim, and its 45-60 minutes to the Port. I doubt they made it :( If they booked the airfare through DCL directly they may have made arrangements for them to join the ship at a later port either the Virgin Islands or Mexico depending on itinerary but not sure how late they'd hold the ship in port for late flights.

Its this situation that reaffirms for me why we would fly into a departure port the day before a cruise because we wouldn't want to risk flight delays causing us to miss the ship.

Makes for a good excuse to visit WDW, doesn't it? Go down the day (or 4) before and hit your fav. rides. Take DCL transfer from the resort to the ship.

I never like to be late...We're spending a few days before at WDW-CBR.

While we did get the DCL transportation, I'm a bit anxious that I won't make it to the port early. On the positive side, I can start my relaxation early with a drink as I won't be driving!

:thumbsup2

I would be WAY too nervous to fly in the day of departure. Even with driving, we always drive down a day or more early -- you just never know if there will be car issues, flat tires, or any kind of delay. After planning the trip for 2 years, it's just not a chance I want to take.

I hope your friends made it safely on the boat! :)

Day before (or earlier for a couple days at WDW before the cruise). Not just for the the ease of mind of possible delayed flights, missed transfers etc. but in our case the nonstop flights get in too late and the 1 stop and transfer flights that give enough wiggle room require a 6 or 7 am departure --- no, I don't think so ... I don't want to be tired on my first day on board.

So we are taking a nonstop flight landing at 645pm the night before, have a limo take us to the Radisson and get on one of the first shuttles to the terminal (still debating that or cabs to take us over). After the cruise we take a limo to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, check in and have 3 nights there before flying home.

:thumbsup2

I would be WAY too nervous to fly in the day of departure. Even with driving, we always drive down a day or more early -- you just never know if there will be car issues, flat tires, or any kind of delay. After planning the trip for 2 years, it's just not a chance I want to take.

I hope your friends made it safely on the boat! :)

Yep, I can attest to the fact that, even driving, delays happen! A few years ago, we were driving to Jacksonville for a Carnival cruise and right at about the Florida state line, the transmission went out on my van! It was a horrible, horrible day. Thank goodness we were a day early for the cruise or we would have missed the ship. As it was, we missed a room we had reserved (thru Priceline, so nonrefundable) in Jacksonville, but that was all. We managed to rent a car the next morning and drive on to Jacksonville. The gas station where the van was allowed us to keep it there the entire week while we were on the cruise. We had the van towed home after we got off the cruise. It was definitely a vacation to remember and one that reaffirms the fact that I will NEVER drive (or fly) to the ship on the day we are leaving!:)

Last year on our cruise the Magic waited for a large party that was late..they arrived on a DCL bus so I assume their flights and transport had been arranged through DCL..and I assume this is why we waited....pulled out very late. I hope this was the same case for your friends. Be sure to let us know OK?

Wow, since the ship didn't leave until 5:30pm, it seems they waited for all the folks coming from or connecting through Minneapolis. The flights were all back in motion by 11am, bringing them into Orlando by 3ish. Whew.

This is the reason that I ALWAYS fly to MCO at least 1-2 days before, especially since 99% of the time I'm flying standby (I work for an airline). Now in January I'm taking no later the 2nd flight out of SFO to LAX to catch my 2-night cruise even though I'll be getting into LAX by 10am. I know the weather in SFO and if you're not on a flight by 10am it's going to be delayed and you're going to miss your flight. And if I know that early that it's going to be delayed I still have time to drive there (only takes 5 hours).

Last year on our cruise the Magic waited for a large party that was late..they arrived on a DCL bus so I assume their flights and transport had been arranged through DCL..and I assume this is why we waited....pulled out very late. I hope this was the same case for your friends. Be sure to let us know OK?

On our Wonder cruise, it was announced at the sail away party that we would be waiting for about 50 guests who had delayed flights due to heavy rains. (I am sure a large number of these passengers were on flights booked through DCL with DCL transfers, but maybe a few others got lucky with the delay even if they weren't booked through DCL.)

We ended up setting sail around 5:45.

It was interesteing to have a sail away party complete with count down, and then ... nothing. We had second dinner seating, so we did hang out on a farily empty deck 10 to watch us finally pull away. Those with main dining were already in the restaurants by that time.

Hi, Leslie! :wave: I hope your friends made the ship, but wouldn't you have heard from them if they didn't?

All kinds of thing can delay or cancel flights, and I would be a nervous wreck if I flew to the departure city the same day the ship sailed!

We are flying in on sail away day and I am a nervous wreck! :eek: We booked through DCL so I am hoping if there is a problem, they can sprinkle some pixie dust and make it happen. pixiedust:

WE LEAVE IN 4 DAYS!! :woohoo:

Makes for a good excuse to visit WDW, doesn't it? Go down the day (or 4) before and hit your fav. rides. Take DCL transfer from the resort to the ship.

We are not taken any chances at all!:idea:

We are going to WDW 9 days early?:rolleyes1

I hope to make the ship on time!:confused3

Every flight my hubby and I take, we see delays....Its fine if you book a WDW vacation and rent a hotel/ lose a night...But mIss the SHIP? nooo wayy...we always plan to be there friday sometime, stay overnight, then head over to the ship...Why for $$$$ would you risk it? :confused3

I never like to be late...We're spending a few days before at WDW-CBR.

While we did get the DCL transportation, I'm a bit anxious that I won't make it to the port early. On the positive side, I can start my relaxation early with a drink as I won't be driving!

True, but we used that last morning at the resort to hit the pool with the kids before we left for the port. Besides, if something goes wrong with a DCL bus I am pretty sure they will make sure you are on the boat before you leave. If not what would be the worst case - they send you back to the WDW? That would be heartbreaking.:banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter