What things are not to be missed on Magic?

Babutz

Earning My Ears
We will be aboard the Western Caribbean cruise Dec 11, 2010. What on onboard activites should we NOT miss?

We were on the Western cruise 3/6 3/13. Definately go to Palo...we did brunch, and it was the best. Go to the shows in the evening....They were great......Don't miss the sail away party or the pirates in the caribbean party. Also don't miss the character party....you can dance with them and just have fun....there is so much not too miss, these were my top ones. :thumbsup2

I'd highly suggest doing the "Art of the theme ship tour" (adults only). You'll learn a lot of great fun facts about the ship, most of which you'd never know, or completely overlook. It's amazing how everything is themed, even what all the symbols and designs mean in the carpets. And if you've heard about how the ship was assembled in 2 parts, then put together; they'll even point out the 'seam'. Our tour guide, Neville, was great, and had loads of patience. I'm a pretty patient guy myself, but one family in the group was getting on my nerves. I never thought we were gonna leave the meet-up spot, with all the questions they kept asking..... and we had to go around most of the ship!!!!! Anyways.... Do that tour if you can. :thumbsup2

Thank you both for the great suggestions. I have made notes of them on my Castaway Club book I received. Does anyone have an answer to any of the following? Thanks for any and all help!!

Although this is our 2nd DC, I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. This is my first year to use the DIS. I read that we are meeting on the Promenade Lounge. Will this be a closed off area? Our party has actually gotten quite a bit bigger, can our friends join us at this gathering?

Also, I'm trying to find information on the entertainment guide/personal navigator for activites available that are not listed on the website. I remember last cruise we did the Gingerbread house decorating and the Tea w/ Mad Hatter. I wasn't aware of these things so I nearly missed out. I want to be on top of my game this time!

Last one...do you think it's too late for me to get door deco? Do I buy it somewhere or any ideas on things I could make?

Art of the Ship Theme Tour!

Any of the Tastings, we did the Beer and Tequila tastings. We're not big drinkers by any means but you dont have to be in order to learn something and have a fun time.

Palo, whether brunch, tea or dinner.

You're fellow DISers will probably be scheduling a "Stateroom Tour". A great way to get a peak at all the differen types of staterooms.

Another vote to make sure you see all the shows...including any magicians, comedians, etc...all will be family friendly. Some of my favorite memories are of watching the kids crying with laughter at one of the ventriloquists.

Also watch for special "shows" by the entertainers which are held in one of the clubs...many will do a special kids show...or a family show...really neat to see the entertainers in such an intimate setting.

Don't miss the panini's you can get at the little sandwich shop.

One more...out on the deck where the lifeboats are at is a walking/running path...but you're not going there to run...what's up with that? On this deck are some very nice teak lounge chairs...great place to read a book/take a nap or just watch the sea pass by.

Have a great time.

What not to miss??......

All Aboard time! Getting on the ship is absolutely the number one thing not to miss. Once you're on the ship, anything you see or do is fabulous!!!

The "MICKEY 200"!! This was done in Rocking Bar D one morning near the end of our cruise last month. My 7yr old and myself SO badly wanted to go to this, but my son was ill in the night before, and wasn't feeling well enough to go when the time came. It is however a family activity, making race cars out of vegetables and then racing them!
Ratatouille cooking school for the kids in the lab. (they make chocolate chip cookies and are dressed up in Chefs hats).
The friendship Rocks celebration for the kids. I forgot about it this last cruise so none of us made it there. (it's the end of the cruise ceremony for the kids in the clubs. the kids get a t-shirt and a photo slide show is shown of the kids involved in various activities)
The art auction for a free glass of champagne, if you like that.
Family game shows
Pin Trading in the Atrium With Ships Officers (when it's announced)
If you like getting Ships Officers autographs, don't miss the Captains signing in the the gift shop when it's announced. Captain Thord doesn't stay too long at all, and it's hard to track him down to get the autograph later.
All the stuff pp's have mentioned :thumbsup2

I'd highly suggest doing the "Art of the theme ship tour" (adults only). You'll learn a lot of great fun facts about the ship, most of which you'd never know, or completely overlook. It's amazing how everything is themed, even what all the symbols and designs mean in the carpets. And if you've heard about how the ship was assembled in 2 parts, then put together; they'll even point out the 'seam'. Our tour guide, Neville, was great, and had loads of patience. I'm a pretty patient guy myself, but one family in the group was getting on my nerves. I never thought we were gonna leave the meet-up spot, with all the questions they kept asking..... and we had to go around most of the ship!!!!! Anyways.... Do that tour if you can. :thumbsup2

This sounds great. How often is this offered? Did you need to sign up for this?

Tequila/Margarita tasting if you are so inclined. Good value in terms of just the drinks served, and educational component was fantastic. WARNING: Will create potential for becoming a tequila snob, thereby dramatically increasing the cost of the program!!

If you get only one evening without the kids, DO MATCH YOUR MATE! It never fails to entertain!

The last night of the cruise at around 10:15pm there is "Till We Meet Again" All the performers from the shows, along with all the Disney Characters come out. They then spread throughout the 3rd and 4th atrium lobby. We were able to get pictures with Mickey, Daisy, Goofy, Donald, and Goofy with little waiting. Now, we may have just timed them all right but nonetheless they were all out. After about 20 minutes, they go onto the staircase and sing a song.

The next not to miss is the Pub Night that happens right after in Rockin' Bar D. The cruise activities cast members sing and then do a skit that is HILARIOUS! You do NOT want to miss it!

Thank you both for the great suggestions. I have made notes of them on my Castaway Club book I received. Does anyone have an answer to any of the following? Thanks for any and all help!!

Although this is our 2nd DC, I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. This is my first year to use the DIS. I read that we are meeting on the Promenade Lounge. Will this be a closed off area? Our party has actually gotten quite a bit bigger, can our friends join us at this gathering?

Also, I'm trying to find information on the entertainment guide/personal navigator for activites available that are not listed on the website. I remember last cruise we did the Gingerbread house decorating and the Tea w/ Mad Hatter. I wasn't aware of these things so I nearly missed out. I want to be on top of my game this time!

Last one...do you think it's too late for me to get door deco? Do I buy it somewhere or any ideas on things I could make?

We got onboard and went to Guest Services to book our tea with Alice, and martini tasting. Seas were rough on a sea day, so we had to skip the martini tasting, but Guest Services graciously refunded. I forgot about the gingerbread house making until day 2, but it was completely filled up by the time we remembered.

As for decorating your door...last year we made some foam wreaths, stockings to put on our stateroom door as we cruised in December. This past Aug, and last week, I got some great designs by some of the DISigners on the magnet thread. I used the designs to have magnets printed, and also for our tshirts.

The Art of Entertaining Entree and Dessert, towel/napkin folding, strolling on the deck late at night, sitting on deck 4 in the evening watching the ocean go by, the sunsets, the rainforest room, etc.. The late night dessert buffet, and oh, yeah...Pub Night!!! (you can watch this on youtube) Speaking of Neville, we have had him the past 4 cruises on the Magic and love him.

I agree with pp about the more intimate entertainment in the various lounges. You do get to know the talent (who are princesses, act in shows, etc.). In fact, last week we attended several of such shows where we were one of two or three couples/families attending. They were singing to us! One time we were the only couple, plus a few of the other cast members, who attended a holiday song show. We really enjoyed that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter