What sounds do you commonly hear coming from outside your home?

We used to live in another part of AZ that was near a lot of open desert land. Quite regularly at night, we'd hear packs of coyotes celebrating having killed something. They'd yelp and howl a lot.

this is a funny thread. I love it.

HORNS
CRAZY PEOPLE SCREAMING at who knows what
JACK HAMMERS
TRUCKS
AMBULANCES & FIRETRUCKS constantly
Occasional dog bark

I live in NYC. :)

Yep. The fox lives down the bottom of hill and has kits almost every spring. The love to come around during the night and play in the yard. Our motion light goes on and the play like puppies. Sometimes I’ll be sitting on the front porch after dinner and one will walk up and after he notices I’m there he will scream and run away.
He looks like a honey badger. #honeybadgerdoesntgivea.....

Helicopters, vehicles driving by (or sometimes cars racing on a nearby street or freeway), Disneyland fireworks (miss those!), wild parrots flying over, sirens and the neighbor's dog.

Emergency vehicles (we live about two blocks from the Fire Dept and Police Dept), life flight helicopters picking up from the heliport about three blocks away, lots of lawnmowers, little kids laughing at the day care next door.

Screaming children. A fountain. Dogs. A basketball dribbling. The faint, vague sound of trucks on a highway.

Crickets, cicadas. Used to hear lots of airplanes going over as my house is under one of the approaches to Philadelphia International Airport, but not so much anymore. Train horns at all hours of the night because there's a railroad crossing very close by. On the weekends partying and music from the bar on the next corner. Most of this takes place at night-during the day my street is usually very quiet.

Right now I hear my girls and one of their friends giggling in the pool. Usual noises are the friends of the renters across the street with their obnoxious loud cars but I don't complain as I have a loud car also but it only comes out once a month or so. Other than that, we live in a quiet neighborhood so I hear birds, the horses and a donkey from the farm behind us and lawn equipment when we all do our yards on Saturday or Sunday.

This time of year, lawn mowers and the kid across the street who is incapable of speaking at a volume lower than a scream.

In the winter, plow trucks and shovels.

Love this thread...what a great idea. Before the shut down, from the MK, the train in the mornings and fireworks at night. Lately, WDW ferryboat. Sandhill cranes, hawk, recycling truck.

Love this thread...what a great idea. Before the shut down, from the MK, the train in the mornings and fireworks at night. Lately, WDW ferryboat. Sandhill cranes, hawk, recycling truck.
We live about a mile across a large reservoir from a famous Canadian tourist attraction called Heritage Park. They operate an 1880’s steam train and paddle-wheeler that were lovely to hear on a summer day. Not this year though. :(

Last edited:
Magical, we are thousands of miles apart and yet hear the same unusual sounds from the past. Hopefully, they return soon.

chickens clucking, roosters crowing (all day not just in the morning), goats bahhing, ducks quacking (mostly at night), and sometimes crows squawking. tiller, tractor, or side by side. Occasional plane or helicopter.

The usual farm noises.

Yesterday and today, we've been listening to rainfall from TS Sally as she passes us by. Plus lots of thunder.

Right now I hear crickets and the wind in the trees. Usually I hear my neighbours , because they are yellers and there’s like a thousand of them living in that house and they just yell and yell and yell . They are actually nice people but man they are SO LOUD .

Frogs and crickets/cicadas (at night), lawn mowers, the ping of the metronome for the drumline and marching band, and (most years) the ping of the bat from the high school that basically backs up to our property. I LOVE our location.... Our lot backs up to a very narrow former cow lot that is now being repurposed, but is in the middle of the suburbs, on a street that only gets the traffic of the families who live on it. Close enough to have easy access to multiple major roads, but far enough away to not hear any of it. *sighs contentedly*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter