What sort of animation do you prefer?

Cinderella8

♥a heard made fullmetal♥
So, I thought I would ask, what sort of animation do you all prefer for your movies and TV shows? I know there are specific names for them, but I don't know the names for the animations, so I guess I'll just show some examples...

Do you like the classic animations like Cinderella and Snow White?
disney_cinderella.jpg

Or do you like newer kinds of animation like Disney's Frozen?
C_2_foto_305858_image.jpg

Or do you like (my personal favorite) the kind of animation like Max Steel or Slug Terra?
slug-terra.jpg

I would've said the classic hand drawn stuff, but Wreck-It-Ralph, Monsters University and Frozen have recently changed my mind. Those movies look fantastic. Computer animation is still a new technology but it's come a long way. Toy Story is still a great movie, but compare it to Monsters U on a strictly visual level to see what I mean.

I would've said the classic hand drawn stuff, but Wreck-It-Ralph, Monsters University and Frozen have recently changed my mind. Those movies look fantastic. Computer animation is still a new technology but it's come a long way. Toy Story is still a great movie, but compare it to Monsters U on a strictly visual level to see what I mean.
Definitely. I've got a similar opinion, one of the reasons I like the Slugterra sort better. It can appear to look a little more classic at times, but has cool 3D computer animation at other times, too.

I don't really have a preference.

I did recently watch Tangled and thought the people looked too fake- like plastic dolls. But other human characters is Pixar movies don't look like this, so it isn't computer animation that is the problem, it was the style in which they were drawn. (Like Hercules or Tarzan who are both drawn incredibly strangely)

(For the record, I loved all 3 of the movies I named as having weird people.)

I don't really have a preference.

I did recently watch Tangled and thought the people looked too fake- like plastic dolls. But other human characters is Pixar movies don't look like this, so it isn't computer animation that is the problem, it was the style in which they were drawn. (Like Hercules or Tarzan who are both drawn incredibly strangely)

(For the record, I loved all 3 of the movies I named as having weird people.)
Tangled- Really? I thought the people looked very nice and realistic. For some reason, I liked the way the scene when the now brunette Rapunzel is crying over Flynn Rider was animated, just the sort of expression and eyes of Rapunzel stuck with me as realistic

Tarzan- I agree with you on that. Some of the characters looked strange, but overall well-drawn

Hercules- I thought the drawings on Hercules were probably anything but strange, I've always thought they all looked pretty cool

I agree with you, I love all three of those movies!

Tangled- Really? I thought the people looked very nice and realistic.

You don't think she looks just a bit too shiny?

I love her brunette haircut though. I wish she had that for her meet and greets in the park. (Then again, my family doesn't think she should be wearing shoes for her M&Gs, at least not indoor ones...girl NEVER wore shoes.)

You don't think she looks just a bit too shiny?

I love her brunette haircut though. I wish she had that for her meet and greets in the park. (Then again, my family doesn't think she should be wearing shoes for her M&Gs, at least not indoor ones...girl NEVER wore shoes.)
Not really, no, but that's my opinion

I love her hair, too! Me and my family also think she shouldn't have shoes :laughing: I currently want the doll with her brunette hairstyle

I have a soft spot for the traditional 2D hand drawn animation. I was so excited when The Princess and the Frog came out and it was 2d. I think it was a sad day when Disney closed the 2d studios. It has always been a pipe dream of mine to be an animator for Disney. :-(

Yes the 3d stuff is great, and will continue to get better. I think each has it's place.

But as the OP ask the question I must say emphatically 2D!

I have a soft spot for the traditional 2D hand drawn animation. I was so excited when The Princess and the Frog came out and it was 2d. I think it was a sad day when Disney closed the 2d studios. It has always been a pipe dream of mine to be an animator for Disney. :-(

Yes the 3d stuff is great, and will continue to get better. I think each has it's place.

Personally, I avoid going to see movies in 3D, I can have weird sensitive eyes and the glasses just make everything blurry. I loved the animation they used in Frozen, Elsa making her castle was amazing

Me too! I really do love the new computer generated movies (Tangled and Frozen) are exceptional movies! But like you I miss the 2D films! I got such a yen for it again when I saw "Paperman" attached to " Wreck It Ralph" I also wanted to be an animator!

I still maintain Lion King is the most beautiful movie ever made. I just don't know if CGI can recreate such vibrant colors!

My thoughts exactly. I think it comes down how they use it.

Whatever can tell a good story and have exceptional characters. Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, The Lion King... I prefer both. You can't just have simply one type of animation!

Lion King used cgi extensively in the stampede scene (traditional animation over 3d models).

I don't have a strong preference either way (anymore). Good animation is good animation regardless of the medium and storytelling is always more important. I really dislike adobe flash animation though. It just looks cheap.

Lion King used cgi extensively in the stampede scene (traditional animation over 3d models).

I don't have a strong preference either way (anymore). Good animation is good animation regardless of the medium and storytelling is always more important. I really dislike adobe flash animation though. It just looks cheap.

Very good points!

The quality of the animation in Frozen is outstanding. Better than anything Disney or Pixar has done before.

Hand drawn is great, when done well. Cinderella was done well. But some of the other Disney classics were not of as high quality. I would say the best hand drawn animation Disney ever created would be the lion king.

I really expected Princess and the Frog to have some amazing animation, to remind us of what quality Disney hand drawn could look like. It missed the mark.

I like both...as and artist I prefer the hand drawn stuff(even digital hand like paperman) as you don't need nearly as much art background to work on the computer work... That said some of the computer rendered work is beautifully done and takes far less time.

There is a place for both and even the cell shaded kind like the original poster likes (slug terra ).

That's my 2 cents

Both hand drawn animation and computer animation appeal to me. But I really do have a soft spot for hand drawn animation, even though I do love computer animation a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter