• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What song would you most want played at your funeral?

My husband, our kids, & my sister all know that I don’t want a funeral.

Instead, I want to give my family an adventure. I want them to go on a little cruise at sunset off the coast of St. Augustine, FL, in remembrance of me. (St. Augustine has long been our family’s favorite city.)

And they already know the song that MUST be played - Kenny Chesney’s “That Time of Day.”

The song is on a bunch of my playlists already, &, in our family, it’s now known as “Wendy’s Funeral Song.”

I absolutely love the beach & the ocean & being on the water w/ my family, &, the first time I head the song, I knew it was perfect for me.

And the song has a lovely, lilting, beach-y rhythm to it which isn’t sorrowful at all... it’s just light & sweet & peaceful.

“It's that time of day
That we all knew would come

To pay for all the rum
And pull up anchor cause we're done
It's that time of day
I see a cotton candy sky
So many colors in my eyes
Proof again God's alive
This ain't a goodbye
It's a "till I see you again"
What a wonderful time
We've all shared my friends

Another day at sea
Has come and gone away
So adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
It's that time of day
It's that time of day
When we bottle up the sun
Let our inhibitions run
Feeling courageous and numb
It's that time of day
When we take a leap of faith
Hand in hand as we pray
In this moment we could stay
This ain't a goodbye
It's a "till I see you again"
What a wonderful time
We've all shared my friends
Another day at sea
Has come and gone away

So adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
It's that time of day
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
It's that time of day
I see sails in silhouette
A sailor's sky turning red
So many I love you's said
Toasts are made
It's that time of day

It's that time of day
It's that time of day
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
Adios to Jost
It's that time of day…”

The exit music from Soarin over California. Jerry Goldsmith’s music is so beautiful.
And John Barry’s main theme from Out of Africa. Also beautiful.

Kiss Off - Violent Femmes :rotfl:

But seriously:
Green Pastures.
Crossing the Bar - This version by the Spooky Men's Chorale is fantastic. My sailing background is limited mostly to Disney cruises, but Tennyson's words are universal: "I hope to see my Pilot face to face."

Wichita Lineman - Glenn Campbell.

And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time

A few possible selections from the Beatles and one from a Frog:

In My Life
Imagine
I'll Follow The Sun
Rainbow Connection.

During internment a Jerry Reed great:

East Bound and Down

I've mentioned this to my kids a few times, I would like Time of My Life by Greenday and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by that Hawaiian guy (at least I think he's Hawaiian), it's the mellow tropical version.

I’ve told Dh and DD my final wishes many times. I don’t care what they do as far as funeral/burial. They can pick whatever makes them feel best.

I just want my favorite song played. Where the streets have no name by U2. It my favorite song ever and seems appropriate. I’d prefer a version that sung live vs the album but I doubt anyone besides me will notice.

Honestly I don't know, I just felt like starting one of "this kind" of threads.

Not a religious or inspirational individual and FOR SURE would not want our wedding song played "I Got You Babe" since it would not be inline with the gathering's circumstances (if anybody came :teeth: ) SO it would be my 2nd favorite and that is why DD sprung it on me at her wedding for Father/Daughter Dance >>>

AND EVERYBODY HAS TO DANCE!!!

I have a longer list of things I don't want played than things I do. At the top of it, a number of traditional funeral songs, esp. On Eagle's Wings, Amazing Grace, Here I Am Lord, and How Great Thou Art. I've been to too many maudlin Catholic funerals and I don't want mine to be anything like that.

The one song I've mentioned to my kids specifically is The Parting Glass. Don't particularly care which version/artist as long as it is in the Irish style - The High Kings PBS concert version is great, but there are several others that are just as good. Other than that, I'd like the music at my memorial/wake to reflect who I was in life rather than generic funeral traditions, so things like Good Riddance by Green Day, I Lived by One Republic, Free Bird, Imagine, Into the Mystic, something like that. Not check-box suggestions from the funeral home planning materials.

I have a longer list of things I don't want played than things I do. At the top of it, a number of traditional funeral songs, esp. On Eagle's Wings, Amazing Grace, Here I Am Lord, and How Great Thou Art. I've been to too many maudlin Catholic funerals and I don't want mine to be anything like that.

The one song I've mentioned to my kids specifically is The Parting Glass. Don't particularly care which version/artist as long as it is in the Irish style - The High Kings PBS concert version is great, but there are several others that are just as good. Other than that, I'd like the music at my memorial/wake to reflect who I was in life rather than generic funeral traditions, so things like Good Riddance by Green Day, I Lived by One Republic, Free Bird, Imagine, Into the Mystic, something like that. Not check-box suggestions from the funeral home planning materials.

I forgot about I lived. I love that song.

It’s well known that I want this song played at my memorial and the eye rolling and sighs always commence when I say it. I promise to haunt them if it’s not played:

I don’t have a song in mind for me; but this reminds me that I’ve read people would pick this song to be played at their funeral…
I like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter