• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Snakes Have You seen?

I just thought of another large black snake that we saw years ago. We were camping at FW and were on a bus coming back from the MK. The bus slowed down and I could see what I thought was a pretty good sized branch in the headlights in the middle of the road. At least I thought that it was a branch - until it continued to move off to the other side of the road. The bus waited until it was off of the road before we were on our way again.

I have been going to WDW for years and never saw a snake ( Thank GOD ) Is there a reason why there are so many sightings recently????? Please tell me when the weather gets cooler they hide somewhere far far away.........This whole thing has me a nervouse wreck! :crazy:

DaisyD said:
I see many snakes at the Poly.

OH NO!!! Please tell me where????? We have to have the first floor of the Rapa Nui due to my DD disabilities. I can tell you now that I will not be openeing up that patio door!!!!!!
I think I should I switch to the CR ???

anniebell said:
YUCK! I haven't seen a snake at WDW...but we do live here in FL and we have them around everywhere! We have even had a couple (babies) in our pool...and it's screened in, mind you! Those darn things can get in anywhere!

My husband always says...."if the snake is in water, you can pretty much guarantee that it's not a GOOD snake"......ie..water moccasin!!!! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

YUCK YUCK YUCK!!! Snakes in water= no good!!!

This really isn't true. The most common snakes found in water in Florida are in the Nerodia genus. These are non-venomouse, but sometimes moody snakes.

As someone asked in a post above, yes, some venomous snakes do have a diamond or triangle shaped head, where most non-venomous don't. Also, most venomous snakes in Florida have cat eyes, where most non-venomous don't. The notable exception is the coral snake, which has round pupils and does not have a diamond shaped head.

The majority of the snakes you might encounter at WDW are going to be black racers. Definitely well named because they are very fast and generally are trying to get away from you, even if they make a bad choice and decide that across your feet on the sidewalk is the best direction to flee.

Ted

steffali said:
OH NO!!! Please tell me where????? We have to have the first floor of the Rapa Nui due to my DD disabilities. I can tell you now that I will not be openeing up that patio door!!!!!!
I think I should I switch to the CR ???

I really wouldn't worry about it. You're more likely to step on duck droppings than a snake.

sotoalf said:
I really wouldn't worry about it. You're more likely to step on duck droppings than a snake.

With all of the reports of snakes, duck droppings may have been the last thing the duck did before it saw the snake!

nurseypoo5 said:
I've said this before on Dis, but here it goes.

My friend was bitten by a snake while walking over a bridge at typhoon lagoon. Yup bitten right on the foot, fang marks and all.

Disney didnt so much as offer her a return trip to the park on another day (her foot swelled up and ached for 3 days...) they assured her it wasnt poisoneous and slapped a bandaid on it and that was that.

She is still freaked out and that was last year.

Not sure how others feel, but my god if myself or my child were bitten by a SNAKE someone better set up long term psychiatric counseling for me! :crazy:
I always said there is nothing that woul;d keep me away from WDW but if this happened to me I don't think I could bring myself to go back especially if the CM's were that insensitive.

why oh why did I look at this thread????

Pixiedust34 said:
We saw a dead snake on the sidewalk near the parking lot at POFQ. It was black. :crazy:

If I must see a snake at Disney, that is the kind I'd like to see!

I don't know why I started reading this thread. We are leaving in three weeks and I will definitely NOT be able to relax now!!! :confused3

My dh is not scared of snakes so I have to find some other way to talk him out of going to BB Hmmm!! :rolleyes1
Yeah like that will happen!!!

We are going to Disney in Sept.That means I have 2 months to forget i ever, ever , ever, read this thread!!!!- Though last year we did see a baby alligator in the lake at CSR. That was different i was on a bridge it was in the water.Nice safe comfprtable distance. It was not swimming with me,and I didn't step on it. Someone would have to sedate me if one bite me. Seriously.

Hmmm, I wonder if Snakes are Seasonal in Florida? I know they are in different parts of the country. Hopefully in October they will be snoozing! :thumbsup2 Yo Ho pirate:

Saw one a couple of weeks ago at SOG. I was standing on our 3rd floor (thank GOD!) balcony when I saw a maintenance worker on a golf cart driving with a pole with a snake hanging off of it! Couldn't tell what kind it was, but it wasn't real long which rules out black snake (unless it was a youngster!). They let it go in the bushes between the golf course and the tennis court! I watched my steps the rest of the stay! I had always heard/read reports of snake sightings, but that was the first! I HATE SNAKES!! I don't even like the Indiana Jones room in the Great Movie Ride! Why did it have to be snakes?! :bitelip:

DIXIEDIVAMOM said:
Have been reading these posts for quite awhile and have yet to see anyone comment about the snakes. Now I know there are all kinds of wildlife around WDW but this is the third time I have encountered another snake. Anyone else have an experience where you were up close to a snake at your resort? I now watch the ground when I walk at a resort.

We have seen numerous little garder snakes and a couple large like 3 and 4 foot long dark black snakes roaming around at the resorts I like snakes so it really isn't a big deal for our family as we own lizzards and other things like that allready so snakes are like pets to us.

A couple of years ago a little green snake ran across my foot at AK in Asia. it was really small, maybe a garden snake. It didn't really scare me, but I did keep my eyes on the ground while I was in that area.

I wonder if snakes are more common during the rainy season, or anytime after a rain. The reason I say that is that a few years ago, when DH was playing golf at LBV, they had a "Snake Alert" posted at the pro shop before he went out (and he wonders why I don't golf?!). The CMs said that there had been so much rain (it had rained almost non-stop for about 4 days) that the snakes holes were flooded. As a result, the snakes were unable to go below ground and were much more commonly "out and about". Fortunately, DH didn't see any snakes out that day.

We have been to WDW in Dec May and Feb and have seen snakes in each of those months we have honestly seen more in teh first couple weeks of Dec than in either the other 2 months mind you.

I have to say that I lived in Florida and worked at WDW for three years and only once did I see a snake, and that was at my apt complex. My apt was on the first floor and our Poly room was first floor...no snakes.

Although I too am sorry I read this thread ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter