What size truck?

AUdisfan

DIS Veteran
Hi DIS board camping experts! Our family is looking to embark on some camping adventures of our own.:cool1: My MIL is going to purchase the travel trailer and we are going to purchase the truck to pull it. Our big question is: What size truck do we really need? We are looking to get a travel trailer trailer in the 28 - 30 ft. range. Will a Ford F150 (or something comparable) do it? Or do we need the F250 (or something comparable)? Thanks so much for any advice you can give! I'm so excited about the prospect of getting to spend some time at the Fort!:banana: We used to spend spring break there every year when I was growing up (in the old Terry trailers they used to rent before they had cabins) and I can't wait to take my kids.

Hi DIS board camping experts! Our family is looking to embark on some camping adventures of our own.:cool1: My MIL is going to purchase the travel trailer and we are going to purchase the truck to pull it. Our big question is: What size truck do we really need? We are looking to get a travel trailer trailer in the 28 - 30 ft. range. Will a Ford F150 (or something comparable) do it? Or do we need the F250 (or something comparable)? Thanks so much for any advice you can give! I'm so excited about the prospect of getting to spend some time at the Fort!:banana: We used to spend spring break there every year when I was growing up (in the old Terry trailers they used to rent before they had cabins) and I can't wait to take my kids.

I'm going to say that generally a half ton isn't going to do it for something on the higher end of size, but the lower end, the right combo may work out. On paper you could probably make the numbers work with an ultralight for a 30 footer, but remember that tow capacity typically doesn't include payload, gear or passengers beyond the driver. Also, don't trust the dry weights of the trailer manufacturers, that's typically just the weight of the bare bones unit before propane, awning, microwave, etc. It is kind of a chicken and egg thing...shop for trailers to get an idea of weights then shop for trucks to get an idea of towing capacity.

Personally, we tow a 26 footer that is approx 3800 lbs with a Tundra and are very pleased with the performance.

This is a great question. I am not a truck expert, but I am happy to share what I learned.

First, you need to know what you plan to pull. Travel trailers vary quite a bit in weight. Take a look at the specs for a few of your favorites. But, don't just look at the dry weight. You should factor in an estimate of your gear - think bicycles, a bbq grill, clothes, food, camp chairs, etc. I find that adding it up is too much, so an easier way is to go with the max weight for the trailer. You will also need to know the tongue weight.

Now, add the people who are going and what they weigh along with anything you plan to put in the bed of the truck.

Trucks also vary. How much can a 150 tow? It depends on the engine, axle ratio, and tire size. It could be 5,000 pounds or 11,000. Tongue weight it can support will also vary.

The advantages you will get with a 250 tend to be that it has a stronger suspension and so it can support more tongue weight while also enabling you to put more in the bed of the truck.

Last point to consider is gas vs. diesel. Either will work. Think about the conditions in which you are likely to drive. Any mountains or hills? Does it tend to get windy?

From what I have read, stories from friends, and my personal experience, a diesel may provide you with a more comfortable experience. It has more torque so it will tow in windy or mountainous conditions without having to stay in a lower gear. It will also likely return somewhat better miles per gallon. For example, my Ram 2500 diesel gets about 12mpg towing a 26 foot travel trailer at 60 mph and it very comfortable to drive. I have heard gas pickups often return 5-8 mpg and work much harder - that is much higher rpm - to climb hills or drive into a headwind.

Downside to diesel is that it is a higher up front cost and the price per gallon is currently somewhat higher than gas.

If you want to hear many other opinions, head to the Trailer Life forums and go into the Tow Vehicles forum.

Happy camping.
the eman

You always want to have "more horse then cart." Remember your budget, but something more valuable is your life, your loved ones in the vehicle, and those sharing the highways with you.

I'm going to say that generally a half ton isn't going to do it for something on the higher end of size, but the lower end, the right combo may work out. On paper you could probably make the numbers work with an ultralight for a 30 footer, but remember that tow capacity typically doesn't include payload, gear or passengers beyond the driver. Also, don't trust the dry weights of the trailer manufacturers, that's typically just the weight of the bare bones unit before propane, awning, microwave, etc. It is kind of a chicken and egg thing...shop for trailers to get an idea of weights then shop for trucks to get an idea of towing capacity.

Personally, we tow a 26 footer that is approx 3800 lbs with a Tundra and are very pleased with the performance.

Now by law the weight of the trailer has to include everything attached to the trailer when it leaves the factory.

Thanks so much for the great advice! There is a lot to consider and we definitely want to make sure we do everything we can to keep our family safe. We don't want more truck than we need, but of course, don't want to wind up wishing we had gone bigger. So many different things to think about in all of this! We definitely appreciate the input from all of you experienced folks.:)

I had a Dodge Ram 1500 and a 33ft travel trailer. While the trailer was still within the Ram's towing capability, it was still stressful. We had to leave many items we would have liked to have taken home due to weight. The engine strained in the mountains -- it was hard on the truck. I traded it in for an F250 Super Duty this past month that has almost twice the towing power. For the safety of your family, go with the 3/4 ton. You will be happier long-term.

Now by law the weight of the trailer has to include everything attached to the trailer when it leaves the factory.

True on the actual unit, but their marketing info/brochures/etc. are usually dry. And the dealers will all tell you that you can tow these things with an SUV or mini-van:rolleyes:

You always want to have "more horse then cart." Remember your budget, but something more valuable is your life, your loved ones in the vehicle, and those sharing the highways with you.

Love this! Very true.

And just addding more on our experience for "bigger is better" - we used to tow our 1500 lb. Aliner with a Hyundai Santa Fe V6 (3500 lb. tow capacity)...so on paper it looked like a no-brainer. But by the time we loaded up with coolers, gear, family, dog, kayaks, bikes...well, you get the picture - it was just not powerful enough to do all of that work, especially up in the terrain of northern New England. I guess if we lived in flat lands we would maybe have been happy. So when it can time fo us to up-size, we planned on either a smaller hybrid or smaller TT...and thought for a while about a small truck - Tacoma or similar. But realized that we'd be up against that same wall pretty easily, so we went for a half ton.

And honestly, the hit in gas mileage isn't much since the bigger engines don't have to work as hard.

The weight of the trailer leaving the factory doesn't include propane tanks,propane,batteries,spare tire etc.and for the tow vehicle add the weight of passengers etc.
Either pick a trailer,calculate the weight with what you will carry (food clothes etc.)and buy a truck rated for it or buy a truck and pick the trailer.
We used the 80% rule and it worked out well,Trailer and load equal to 80% of the tow vehiccle capacity.
Also keep in mind one salesmans "tow package"may not be the same as anothers.One tried to sell me a truck with a hitch added.No upsized tranny cooler,extendable mirrors etc.
On a used vehicle the dealer can get you the factory specs using the VIN number.

I tow a 30 ft Cougar 5th wheel with a Ford F250 Diesel 6.0L Super Duty. We also have the 4 door crew cab which is great hauling extra people with since in most states they can't ride the moving trailer. Just something else to keep in mind when looking. Good Luck!

Definitely go for as much truck as you can afford. Having worked at a RV dealership for almost 2 decades now, I would also say do your own homework and look for a knowledgeable sales consultant (maybe someone that actually camps-- ask 'em!) that will take the time to go over all the pros & cons. You'll usually get more help at a family-owned dealership as opposed to the "big box" guys if you are new.

Thanks again for all the advice! We are still shopping and looking at our options. I definitely want to get something bigger if we can find something in our price range. DH test drove an F250 Super Duty diesel today and really liked it. Just don't know if it is more money than we are willing to spend. Keep sending in any tips you have!:thumbsup2

I am just wondering if this may be a bad choice. Having two pieces of equipment that require each other but being owned by two different people...i can see the potential for drama... Have you considered a used motor home? You may be able to find one for the cost of a descent truck...

Definitely go with the 250. You won't regret it and will be assured that you have enough truck. We started out with a 1/2 ton and quickly learned that wasn't going to get it!

Hi,

Here is my tow vehicle (TV) and Travel Trailer (TT) specs.

1999 Ford F-150 Super cab 4X4
Triton 5.4L V8
3.73 LS gears
Auto Trans
Stock rims and tires
Tow pkg with aux trans cooler
6.5 foot bed
Weight Distribution Hitch
Max tow weight is 8000 lbs

Trailer
2008 Kodiak by Skamper
30 foot
Wet Weight 6000 lb
Tongue is around 600lb

I have not had any towing issues with the truck with this trailer. I am generally within 6000 when loaded out and have plenty of stuff in the bed like firewood, coolers, generator, etc. The truck handled much of the hills in PA where my family and I camped last year. I'm looking forward to the trip to Disney in October with the truck and trailer.

As for gas mileage, don't plan on it. My F150 gets around 9 MPG in the hills of PA. I am hoping for another 2 MPG when going down to FLA.

Now I will agree with folks stating about going with a F250 or 3/4 ton class vehicle. Just remember the bigger the truck, the more it costs to buy, to maintain, to run, etc. But you will get higher gear ratios to work with. For instance, you might be able to get a 4.10 or even a 4.30 rear over a 3.73 rear that is offered in the 1/2 class. This means better towing capability since the engine's power is more effectively placed onto the road. Downside, your fuel economy goes down.

Ford 3/4 ton class had a gas V10 option. The 6.8L engine had plenty of torque and HP. The engine is known to be durable and performed well. Since it is a gas engine, it will not be as expensive to maintain as the diesel.

When you go to the 3/4 ton class, diesel is an option. That will be an added cost in purchase, fuel and maintenance. As for the power stroke 6.0L engine. They had a mixed issues. I know of people who own them and never had a lick of trouble. Others had tons of issues. A place where I worked, had a 2005 F350 with the 6.0 and it was headache. The company also had a fleet of 6.0s for the others trucks and all it was just oil changes, tires and nothing more. That was the only shop time these trucks saw.

One possible alternative is to seek out a local Power Stroke tune shop. Most of the time, these mechanics can tune up the engine with a programer and performance parts to give the truck more towing performance when needed and back it off when you are just going around the block.

Another thing to consider. Where and how long will it be parked for? If this is a tow vehicle only, chances are it will not be driven regularly. It would be best to roll the truck around town on a regular basis to keep everything from "rusting" up. Nothing is worse than looking at a truck in a driveway that has a payment that is only used once in awhile. Just saying.

AUdisfan. if you want to know more, just ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter