What should we charge our friends?

DevelonRd

Earning My Ears
We're taking some friends to WDW for Thanksgiving week and using our DVC points for both their room and ours at Saratoga Springs. They insist on paying us for the room. I need some idea what each point is worth so that I can come up with a price. Any help would be appreciated.

BK

If they really insist on paying but you're not really too particular about it, maybe consider letting them pick up a nice meal or reimbursing you for the yearly maintenance fee per point. That'd be my thought.

Hubby took friend of ours and his two little ones in April, we're taking my mother-in-law in January, and then my sister, her two grown children with ones husband and two little ones and my other sister in October 2006....not expecting them to pay anything for the room....just their transportation, park tickets and meals (which amounts to quite a bit to begin with). I say tell them the rooms on you, and they can pick up a meal or two while you're down there. Why didn't you get a two bedroom villa...each couple would have their own space and their own bathroom. Did it come out to less points?
:earsgirl: :earsgirl:

We invited my cousin & his family for our trip last spring. They insisted on reimbursing us. I knew they wanted to eat some meals in the unit, so we agreed that they would buy some groceries (including laundry deteregent for the washing machine!).

Several years ago some friends stayed at in another unit (not ours) & bought a very nice meal at EPCOT. Antoher time a freind & his young son stayed with us & bought some nice meals for all of us throughout the week.

I suggest go for whatever works for you.

We are taking 3 other families on our points in October to WLV and we really don't expect anything. What is a bit frustrating is one couple, who has no idea what they are saving, is complaining they have to pay for an extra ticket to the not-so-scary party at MK. I bite my tongue every time it comes up, because I'd love to tell them they're saving roughly $1500 for the week, but hopefully they'll appreciate it when it's over.

Isn't it funny how some folks act like their arm is broken and can't reach in their wallet when they are already getting such a great deal? Then, there's gems like the OP's friends who totally realize that nothing in life is free. Develon Rd., if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't try to come up with a cost per point. I'd prefer a couple meals out like others suggested, but if they insist on a transaction for the room, I'd take the room rate at one of the value resorts and use that. Because if they were choosing to stay on site at Disney, they would have the option of choosing the most economical accomodations. I think I could feel comfortable with that.

I would say something like the meals or tickets, but if they want to do cash I would say about what it cost you for those points. For us when we bought in ect.... we calucated it cost us around $5 point (buy in plus 40 years of does divided by 40) so I would say about that. Less then the normal rental fees. (since they are friends.) So if the room cost 95 points for the week (I used that figure since we are staying at SSR in a stuido in Jan and this is) it would be 475.

Do what you and they feel comfortable. If 475 isn't something you think they can afford, try to charge them less.

I think it's often a good idea to refer people to the WDW website and have them look up rack rate for the accomodations that you're providing for them. After they pop their eyeballs back into their sockets, charge them somewhere between $5 and $10 per point and they'll see the bargain.

rocketriter said:
I think it's often a good idea to refer people to the WDW website and have them look up rack rate for the accomodations that you're providing for them. After they pop their eyeballs back into their sockets, charge them somewhere between $5 and $10 per point and they'll see the bargain.

I take mine back, I like this idea. :goodvibes

Sit down with them and say "its hard to figure....we don't expect payment, but if you insist here are some options."

You can charge them a reasonable rate for a moderate type room. They are getting Deluxe accomodations, so its still a deal. I'd find out what the AAA rate is.

You can charge them the going rate for rentals, but I'd only do this in your circumstances if they insist. Then charge them for the difference between the room you would have gotten without them and the one with them.

You can charge them dues only - I think this is fair - for the difference in points. Or dues plus purchase price/years.

You can say "pick up the rental car for us and we will call it even."

rocketriter said:

This is sort of what we did when my sis and BIL stayed with us in a 2 bd at OKW. We figured what the total would be for points rented at $10, and they paid half of that. They paid for their own transport and tickets. We split shared meals.

Fortunately, they're the kind of people who DO appreciate what they got. They were thrilled. They're both world travellers, and they were very impressed with the space and quality at OKW - and the fact that my 3 yo niece was enchanted with her aunt's "house" at WDW. They saw it as a flat-out bargain compared to what they would have paid for the same time in a deluxe or a 1-bd villa through CRO. We plan on a repeat trip at BWV in the near future.

DisFlan

They them the going rate is $10 per point but that they may qualify for the 20% - 50% friends discount.

We haven't even taken our first trip but we've already talked about bringing our parents with us at some point and staying in a 2 bedroom. My mom already said up front they would reimburse us. She suggested what they would pay for a value room as that's where they usually stay. Seems like a fair deal to me.

I would tell them what your points cost (probably between $5.50 and $6) and how many points their room is. Say any contribution toward that is very appreciated.

We have settled on $500 for a week. Its a LOW number for a deluxe room at WDW for a week but at the same time we feel like we are getting some kind of compensation for our points. This will be our third year in a row and no complaints from either party. Our guests KNOW how much WDW is and think DVC is top of the line fantastic.
This works for us.... ;) :goodvibes

DevelonRd said:
We're taking some friends to WDW for Thanksgiving week and using our DVC points for both their room and ours at Saratoga Springs. They insist on paying us for the room. I need some idea what each point is worth so that I can come up with a price. Any help would be appreciated.

BK

50% off rack rate is MORE than generous!

We are sharing a grand villa with about 10 people. We told them the room was already taken care of, but they would have to pay for anything else they wanted, provide their own transportation to and from, and any tickets they want. We are so happy to be able to do this. I think I looked up a 2 bedroom for the same time we are staying; 5 nights in May. On the Disney site they only let you enter up to 6 people, but even so, I think it was over 7,000.00. What would it be for a grand villa for 12? We could never ever ever think of inviting our family without DVC! Hopefully we will be able to get all of my DH's brothers and sisters and their spouses together for one blessed vacation before anything happens to any of us. We are all between 50 and 60 and you never know! If anyone "insisted" on any thing, I would say a some of our meals out. Meals out are expensive too! What if they treated you and your family to one of the dinner shows like the Luau or the hoop-de-doo? The Luau cost 200.00 for a family of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter