What should we bring?

Just read my post back and sounds like I was being a bit funny but I wasn't I promise. It just winds me up something shocking when pro togs only have cropped cameras. I have been shoot for some big clients and we have a laugh with them everyday when people try to get my contracts off me with low quality cropped cameras. I always say you should have one good Full Format over lots of cropped cameras. Its not the amount of equipment you have its the quality of it and the way you use it.

How do you add pics on this thing?

I'm of the it's not the camera you have but the final images you end up with school of thought. I've seen far too many amazing images come from crop bodies, and sold too many images shot on them myself, to dismiss what they can do. To me which format you use comes down to what tool you need for the job.

As far as adding to this board just grab the url of your image from where you're hosting it. Then drop it in via the image icon up above the text box when you make your post. Or you can just type the image tags

I'd bring everything. Leaving something behind and realizing that I need to use it after I leave it is a bummer. You have insurance so there's nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

No. We shoot with a D700 and a D600. Just because I own a crop, doesn't mean I use it for my clients. Kindly don't assume that makes my works less quality because I own one. It's not in my pro line-up.

I have insurance, but I cannot afford to be out a camera for any kind of repair or replacement. Too busy to lose my babies. Sigh... maybe I am not made out for this board.

It's not the size of your equipment, it's how you WORK IT! :)

No. We shoot with a D700 and a D600. Just because I own a crop, doesn't mean I use it for my clients. Kindly don't assume that makes my works less quality because I own one. It's not in my pro line-up.

I have insurance, but I cannot afford to be out a camera for any kind of repair or replacement. Too busy to lose my babies. Sigh... maybe I am not made out for this board.

It's not the size of your equipment, it's how you WORK IT! :)

Hey I did not want to offend and that is why I added the second post to apologise if I sounded like I was being funny....Not my intention to offend.

I didn't say you work as less quality but you own full frames for a reason and that is for commercial work you need it. Granted it doesn't make you pics any better but it makes a hell of a difference when you produce your final work for a corporate client to use. As I am sure you will agree with. I think there is sometimes a little cross wires on here with US and UK togs. I am a UK tog and for us here in the UK anyone who can afford £300 for a camera suddenly is a photographer and its really bugging us pro togs. I not sure what it is like for you guys in the US.

PLEASE accept my sorry as no harm was ever meant.

Hey I did not want to offend and that is why I added the second post to apologise if I sounded like I was being funny....Not my intention to offend.

I didn't say you work as less quality but you own full frames for a reason and that is for commercial work you need it. Granted it doesn't make you pics any better but it makes a hell of a difference when you produce your final work for a corporate client to use. As I am sure you will agree with. I think there is sometimes a little cross wires on here with US and UK togs. I am a UK tog and for us here in the UK anyone who can afford £300 for a camera suddenly is a photographer and its really bugging us pro togs. I not sure what it is like for you guys in the US.

It's the same way. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is a pro these days. I read your replies at midnight. I was all WHOA WHOA WHOA did he not read that I use a D700 and D600? No offense taken, my friend.

Yeah, I was all like "some guy with 'tog' in his name gettin all alpha male pboto guy but he doesn't even know that a d600 is a full frame camera"

Then my wife was all "totes! But its cool cause the guy DID know that but just never read that far into the original post before goin all ****-of-the-walk on them like that."

And I was all mr. rogers about it like, "yeah tog-man's not ignorant about cameras he just doesn't like to read other posts about them"

Yeah... that was crazy huh.

Edited to add: seriously? ****-a-doodle-doo? Is THAT really a word the filter needs to obsess about here?

I'll disagree that sensor format always makes a huge difference. But that's a whole discussion unto itself.

There are a lot of people picking up DSLR's and "turning pro" in the US and it's easy to look at them and get annoyed. Especially if you have a formal art education with a concentration in photography. I learned a long time ago that my work stands on my own and the out of focus, poorly exposed and composed images Susie Soccer Mom sells actually end up helping me in the long run. I've picked up a number of clients who have come to me because they were unhappy with the quality of images they got from another "pro".

I take pictures of businesses with my iPhone for Google Maps, that makes me a pro right?

We're a pro photography team, weddings and portraits, so we have a ton of gear. We have a consumer grade D3100 that we brought along last time just because I was afraid to risk the quality equipment, but I miss out on the awesome low light capabilities of our D700 and D600. Our D600 has video... would you bring it, knowing it is your number one go to camera?

We do have insurance, but I can only imagine how many accidents happen that break a camera. I will leave all of my prized lenses home, and just bring along some low f/stop primes.

Ya I would bring what's the best. That's what insurance is for. Same as if you are out shooting a wedding. Stuff happens. I dropped my 7d with my 28-70mm 2.8 II. The lends was 2 grand, but insured.

Sent it in with the camera. got it fixed. 1300 later I got a fixed lens, camera and everything was paid for. my out of pocket. 60 bucks for my premium per year.

like i said stuff happens but it gets fixed. it's gear. capturing the memories again doesn't always happen again.

jim

Ok, but where do I put my 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and my host of primes while I am riding something? I cannot imagine it will be safe leaving it in my son's stroller. There alone is nearly $4k of equipment. Maybe I'll leave the telephoto home and just bring the 24-70 with my D600, and forget all the primes.

As much as I want fantastic photos, I don't want my equipment to get in our way of enjoying our trip.

i pick and choose what i take each day. .sometimes i miss on the right lens choice but ah there's always the next day, hopefully. i have been known to hide lens in my kids stroller rolled up. never had a problem. i know it's not smart but. . .prob not the best advice. it's usually a prime. something small.

i never would carry the 70-200 monster. i know others do. i just can't do it.

my main day pad is a dome saddle bag which fits my body wit hthe 24-70 on it along with my flash the 430. enough room for daily use. just right for all day and night.

jim

Ok, but where do I put my 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and my host of primes while I am riding something? I cannot imagine it will be safe leaving it in my son's stroller. There alone is nearly $4k of equipment. Maybe I'll leave the telephoto home and just bring the 24-70 with my D600, and forget all the primes.

As much as I want fantastic photos, I don't want my equipment to get in our way of enjoying our trip.

This is my strategy:
Forget the primes (maybe sneak a small one in there somewhere).
Pick one lens that is good for 85% of what you are likely to shoot and adequate for another 10% or so and let the remaining 5% go.

I'm picking a Tamron AiO style zoom (28-300mm) and just living with its idiosyncrasies at the extremes.

Whenever I hear someone say "good-enough is never good enough" I know that person has never lived in the real world (or has a mental defect).

I'm seriously trying to score a capture v2 ( Link Here ) for this trip but it's not in production yet. Trying to persuade them (with $$, not threats of violence or anything like that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter