What should I take inside the parks?

kimkim

Mouseketeer
We are leaving Monday for our first WDW trip and I am a mess about what to pack!

I am taking DD9 and DS7 on my own. So I will be the only 'adult' to carry our stuff inside the parks.

So I want to be well prepared, but take the bare minimum at the same time. My back gets tired and sore carrying a heavy backpack all day.

I'm also concerned about a big backpack on some of the rides as I saw a previous thread on problems with them (like on EE).

So this is what I'm thinking about taking. Please give opinions on what I should add or subtract (again, we'll be there next week so it should be hot and possibly wet with thunderstorms):
Camera
Video camera
Plastic refillable water bottles
Bandaids
Moleskin
Body Glide
Flip flops or crocs for the kids for the wet rides?
Extra set of clothes for the kids?
Ponchos (have stocked up from the Dollar Tree)
Sunscreen (small tube just for reapplying to faces)
Pennies/Quarters for pressing
Hats
Empty grocery bag/zip lock for wet stuff
Hand gel
Wipes
Autograph books/pens

Also, do your kids carry their own small packs with their autograph books and other things?

We're on DxDP so I won't take any snacks. Figure we'll have more than enough credits from it!

TIA!
Kim

That sounds like a lot of stuff- We don't like to haul a lot of stuff either. We did the water bottles and brought mix pouches for flavored drinks. After the first day we (4 of us) cut it down to one shared bottle since no one wanted to carry one and there are plenty of fountains to fill up at. I'd skip the extra clothes and shoes since there are not many wet rides unless you are going to the water park. I carried dd's autograph book because I didn't want her to lose it

Your list sounds great. How about a few snack to munch on while standing in line? Don't worry about the back pack on Expedition Everest, they have little compartments by your feet to store your personal belongings. We always have a backpack and never have a problem storing it.

I wouldn't bother with a change of clothes for a 9 and 7 year old. Every child is different but I haven't packed a change since mine were potty trained. I also don't carry extra shoes. Extra socks might be a good idea. If you're worried about it, I would rent a locker for clothes/shoes. Worth the small cost, to me, to not have to lug extra stuff around.

We carry one large backpack. In the interest of total disclosure, the "we" really means DH. LOL. We've taken it on every ride without issue. DD and I both carry small across the body purses with our own cameras, sunglasses, hard candy/gum, chapstick. Mostly just things that would annoy dh to get out of the pack every 5 minutes . DS has mostly just been responsible for his hat. We attach a caribiner clip to his belt loop every morning so that he can secure his ballcap to it while on rides. This year he's talking about carrying a waist pack...it's very important not to call it a fanny pack!! He's 8 this year, so I guess he has important things to carry now!

We are leaving Monday for our first WDW trip and I am a mess about what to pack!

I am taking DD9 and DS7 on my own. So I will be the only 'adult' to carry our stuff inside the parks.

So I want to be well prepared, but take the bare minimum at the same time. My back gets tired and sore carrying a heavy backpack all day.

I'm also concerned about a big backpack on some of the rides as I saw a previous thread on problems with them (like on EE).

So this is what I'm thinking about taking. Please give opinions on what I should add or subtract (again, we'll be there next week so it should be hot and possibly wet with thunderstorms):
Camera
Video camera
Bandaids
Moleskin
Body Glide
Hats
Hand gel
Wipes
Autograph books/pens

Also, do your kids carry their own small packs with their autograph books and other things?

We're on DxDP so I won't take any snacks. Figure we'll have more than enough credits from it!

TIA!
Kim

Yes, my kids have to carry their own small packs for their autograph books and pens. I would also have them each carry their own ponchos.

I wouldn't worry about dry clothes for them. Even if they get wet on a ride, it should be refreshing and they will dry quickly in the heat. If you want dry shoes, I would take a cheap ($1) pair of flip flops with you, and those would be in their bags also.

In our family, each person is also responsible for their own water bottle. The water bottle lanyards can be nice for that, and 3 full water bottles can get quite heavy in your backpack.

Be sure to keep your camera and movie camera in one of the ziploc bags just in case the backpack gets wet from one of the afternoon showers.

Have a great time!

That is a lot!
And Yes first thing your kids are old enough to carry all their own stuff. They should be carrying their own autograph books, quarters pennies,ponchos and water bottles.

That leaves you with only the camera, we don't take a video anymore,your own poncho, money etc, a couple bandaids and if you need it moleskin-I don't take it- and a plastic bag, sunscreen,wipes, all will fit in very small backpack or bag.

I'm not sure why extra clothes at their ages- I only ever took extra shorts when they were pre-schoolers. Same with shoes.

Hats if they want them they wear them, If they don't wear them they carry or they stay in the room.

So first rule to enforce is if you want to take it you carry it. If you don't want to carry it you really don't want it!

We don't take water bottles anymore they are a hassle to carry so we just buy one and share it when thirsty or sometimes my DD will carry one.

I'd add two more things....Tylenol and children's tylenol. In the heat, someone is bound to get a headache and nothing can ruin a day like a headache.

The second thing ....get a small personal pack size of baby wipes. ( you can find them at CVS and Wal-Mart and probably the dollar store) When you're hot and sticky, they're kind of refreshing. They're also great for sticky ice cream hands....;)

Congrats on your first trip! You'll have a blast. If you have the room, I would consider bringing a smaller bag in addition to your backpack. You may find after your first day or two you may find you don't want to take as much one particular day. That's what I do. On a second day at MK or Epcot, I may not want the camera and the video camera. Or we may decide not to take the autograph book one day, and thus no need for the backpack.

I have found I have never needed a change of clothes. The only water ride where you tend to get soaked is Kali at AK. We just wear one of our dollar ponchos and toss it when we're off the ride. You'll still get a little wet, but not to the point that a change of clothes is necessary. Likewise if you have ponchos, you don't need to worry about being soaked in the rain. I know the storms can come up quickly, but thus far we've managed to not get soaked to the point of needing a change of clothes. I would also get antibacterial wipes and not bring the gel. One less thing to bring in to the parks, and the gel gets really runny in the heat.

My DD has been keeping up with her own tickets and water bottles since she was 7 (she's 10 now). She wears her ticket on a lanyard around her neck, and we have caribeener clips for water bottles. She just hooks the bottle on a belt loop (or her fanny pack if she takes that) and she is good to go. We have had two incidents of her taking off the lanyard and leaving it somewhere, but for the 6 trips she's been keeping up with her "stuff" she's done really well. The only thing of hers I tend to keep up with is the autograph book. Sometimes she carries it around, but I figure that is too easy to leave behind so I usually just keep up with it.

I have used a small backpack or drawstring backpack at some point on most trips. There have been a couple of rides where stowing them in the provided bin has been difficult. In those instances it is easy enough to put it under your feet and loop one of the straps around your ankle to keep it in place. The thing with a backpack though is your back gets hot as you carry it around. I prefer my crossbody bags, and just this week I finally found one that will hold all my stuff and is affordable ($15). I'm super happy about that! The crossbody bags are also easier to manage on rides.

Have a fantastic trip!

Sounds like a solid list. I also take an extra battery for the camcorder and my kids' cameras AND a 4pk of AA batt for our fans.

Here's an idea that might be of use. If you aren't parkhopping you might consider renting one of those storage lockers and stashing a majority of the stuff in there....it'll go a long way in lightening your load.

Here's my list. We are arriving on 9/9/10

Camera (in zip-lock bag)
Snacks (only enough for 1 small zip-lock bag, have in case of sugar emergency)
2 water bottles with flavored pouches(in zip-lock)
Ponchos
Index cards and pen(in zip-lock) (Take to jot down names/events of CM for positive notes later in trip – I want to report great customer service but know I will forget by the end of the day)
Travel size hand sanitizer, baby wipes, and sunscreen
Sunglasses and flip-flops (only for our AK day)
Inhaler and medication
Plan for the day (It's our first trip and it's hard to remember all the little things the kids want to experience)

You might want to consider getting a locker for the extra clothes, flip flops etc. You will only need those for a limited time so why carry them around all day!

Don't waste time with first aid supplies. You can get those for free at the first aid station in each park. You'll probably not need any.

You won't need additional clothes or shoes for your children. The ponchos are a good idea (they can use those to stay dry on water rides).

Why both a camera and a videocamera? Pick one. :)

Why the wipes and all that jazz? Take a single washcloth and wet it for wiping off sticky fingers or cooling necks... if it's that hot.

What on earth is Body Glide? :confused: If it's not a critically needed item, toss it to the curb.

Hats should be on heads, not in a bag.

Sunscreen is critical. Bring it. You may want to trade out those unnecessary wipes and "gel" for prepackaged mosquito repellent wipes. The mosquitos are a bumper crop this year.

Refillable water bottles are good IF they are going to be used enough to warrant carrying them around.

Whatever you bring will weigh triple the weight as your day progresses. It's the nature of things.

Keep it streamlined as much as possible. Don't bring what you can get there for free. Don't bring something because you "might need it" because you might not! Make anything you bring do double duty wherever possible.

Now! Go and have a great time!

LESS IS MORE in this case. Id try to whittle that list down a little. that pack sounds really heavy!

What on earth is Body Glide? :confused: If it's not a critically needed item, toss it to the curb.

Body glide comes in a small tube and is good for chafing, preventing blisters, etc. I found it a bit greasy for me, because I do tend to have that problem with my shoes, because my feet sweat a lot.

I opted for baby powder (it comes in super small containers) and I put them in my back pack and then throw them out as I use them up.

Sunscreen is critical. Bring it. You may want to trade out those unnecessary wipes and "gel" for prepackaged mosquito repellent wipes. The mosquitos are a bumper crop this year.

We're going in December this year. Does it get cold enough before Christmas to kill off the demon bugs, or do I need to plan on bringing repellant as well?

Camera
Video camera
Bandaids
Moleskin
Body Glide
Hats
Hand gel
Wipes
Autograph books/pens

TIA!
Kim

I would add:

Wallet
Cell Phone
Headache Medicine, motion sickness meds if you need them
Tickets :goodvibes
Sunglasses :cool2:
ADR reservation info
Extra batteries for cameras

I've not carried a bag since my kids got out of diapers! I carry my small camera case with my camera, cell phone and tickets/debit card in it and sometimes throw a chap stick in there. If we get thirsty, we find a fountain or buy a bottle of water - $2.50 is worth it not to have to carry it all day. All first aide stuff you can get in the parks for free. No extra clothes or shoes for a 7 and 9 year old. It's hot enough that they'll dry out quickly and there's really nothing that gets you that wet. If anybody takes a hat, they wear it - they'll decide real quick if they want to keep up with it or not.

I see those poor folks with the backpacks looking like they are about to drop by the afternoon! TOOOOO hot for that this time of year.

Don't sweat it - you rarely need all the extra stuff you think you're gonna need.

Have a Blast!!!

Camera
Video camera
Bandaids
Moleskin
Body Glide
Hats
Hand gel
Wipes
Autograph books/pens

TIA!
Kim

Why Hand Gel and Wipes? I think one would do. Or just go in the bathroom and clean them up.

I don't think you need to take body glide with you in the parks...apply it in your room.

Bandaids and Moleskin? Maybe just one?

Do you really need video camera and camera? What are you going videotape? And can you watch the boys at the same time? I would just take the camera unless you are totally into videoing.

I would get the boys waist packs that can hold a water bottle and have them hold their own water and poncho.

I would bring multiple ponchos but only bring one per person into the park. Once they are used they never ever ever fold back to their original size.

I would not bring extra clothes...it is warm so that it shouldn't be a problem.

Unless your kids are extra sensitive, I wouldn't worry about the wet shoes. Or if so, only bring them when you go on Kali River rapids.

ITA that you don't need clothes for kids that age, scrap them and the extra shoes. I also agree that they are old enough to carry their own stuff. Get them fanny packs, use their school back pack, etc. For you, I would get a small cross-body bag (like a bagallini or VB hipster/mini hipster) to carry your needs. If it doesn't fit, you don't need it. I think I have less In my bag and I have a toddler and a preschooler;). I am ditching the back pack as soon as DD2 is potty trained!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter