• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What shoes to wear in the parks

what are the best shoes to wear in the parks?? Has anyone worn their converse? Just trying to figure out what I should take. Making a packing list now and I have no idea where to start. Thanks!
Honestly just did a week and wore my broken in Berkenstocks the entire time. Think I literally wore sneakers for one evening out of the entire week. Just be comfy and remember that Soarin is the only ride where you will have to stow sandals.

If you plan on riding water rides, Crocs are the best. They're also light enough to stick in your bag and change to normal sneakers when you're NOT going on water rides. Good athletic shoes are best for walking around.

I have a pair of jayna slingback crocs that are super comfortable. I bought them on Amazon for $16.99. Taking my adidas running shoes too, but will probably wear the crocs more.

I wore crocs this summer and they were great, Planning to wear a few pairs this next trip and a pair of fit flop sneakers!

Yeeeeah, don't wear converses. You're asking for blisters and sore feet in general. Those have no support whatsoever. Grab yourself a pair of running sneakers (with good arch support) if that's what you want to wear into the parks, otherwise, flippy-floppys like poster above me said, not for majority of the day. Went in with flip flops, died about 2 hours in, definitely walked around the parks barefoot for awhile.

You could even grab Crocs (not fashionable, but who even cares) for cheap at an outlet.

Are you wearing the cuter ones like the flats? Kadee and Taylor. I don't wear the clog ones!
No, definitely not unfortunately. The terrain is very rocky in the Poconos, so, I need as much padding on those crocs as I can get! And walking about 10 miles a day? Yep, I need the ugly-ugly clog ones! But the Raspberry color makes it all better, though. :D

I forgot to update on how my shoe selection turned out for our Oct 21-30 trip. I took a pretty large assortment: Converse low tops, Skechers GoWalk2 SuperSock, New Balance 711 Heathered crosstrainers, Eddie Bauer flip flops, Sanuk Yoga2 sling (the type with the fabric), and Sanuk Yoga mat flip flops.

I did alternate footwear each day. On our arrival day which was basically a full day of flights (WA state to FL) I wore the Skechers since they were slipons and easy to get through airport security. I wore them without socks and essentially sat for most of the day until we arrived at our resort and then made it to MK just in time for MSEP. They were comfortable, but the bottoms of a couple of my toes felt a little tender like a blister would have formed if I wore them walking around all day. The first park day I wore my Converse for a full day at MK and they were really comfortable. My feet did get hot in them, though and my toes were still the tiniest bit tender from the Skechers the day before. The next day I switched to Sanuk flip flops to make sure my feet could have a break. They worked well but obviously don't give any ankle support so they weren't the best choice in terms of comfort at the end of the day, but they were comfortable (if that makes sense) and it was nice to not have hot shoes on. We then had a water park day so I wore the Eddie Bauer flip flops off and on. The following day I wore my New Balance shoes and that was the best day in terms of comfort! These are my normal cross trainers that I use for working out so I'm very used to them and I wore my thin synthetic socks with them (like I do when working out) and they made for a very comfortable day. I wanted to wear them again the next day but decided to let them air out and wore Sanuk Yoga2 slings...unfortunately it was pouring rain so it was terrible trying to walk in those. We went back to our resort. I briefly wore the Converse again another day (maybe the rain day?) and wore the New Balance again for sure, as well as flip flops in between. The Skechers only got worn again for super short trips like to grab something quick to eat at the resort. I was happy with the selection I brought and did end up wearing all of my shoes pretty equally (except for the Skechers). The New Balance were by far the most comfortable, but also would have been a bad choice in rain (all shoes are bad in rain! I prefer flip flops though because they dry out instantly).

I did so much shoe research on the Dis boards before our trip. First, I recommend that everyone, kids included, have at least two comfortable pairs of shoes for the trip. It's helpful to swap out so you don't get sore feet or blisters from wearing the same pair the whole trip, considering all the walking. We each (dh, 8 yo dd, and me) had a pair of Keen sandals, which were awesome--comfortable, cool, and toes were protected.My dh also had along a pair of Skecher GoWalk 2s. He loves them. Dh also had a pair of Teva flip flops that he wore at the resort. I also brought along yoga mat flip flops which worked great for me, but I mostly wore my Keen Whispers. My daughter had two pair of Keens that she rotated at the parks.

I just saw the post above about the Sanuk Yoga Mat slings. I completely agree--they are terrible if it's wet out. You're likely to break an ankle.

Wear something comfortable!! you will be on your feet for 10-12 hours (including transportation). I would recommend wearing closed toe shoes, NOT NEW SHOES, make sure whatever you wear they are broken in. I travel extensively around the world and wear Clark's. They are good for walking. Saucony, Tevi are also good brands for walking. A good pair of tennis shoes that are for walking will also work. WEAR GOOD SOCKS!!

Keens (Clearwater subtype) and Saucony running shoes worked out great for me. The particular Keens were lower profile and were good for both walking and rain or pool, but also worked with nicer clothes if needed. The running shoes had very breathable fabric and were my go-to for dry days at the parks.

Great advice here. I think the most important points are to find something that works for you, and rotate your shoes!

I am absolutely psychotic about shoe rotation at WDW. If we are park hopping and taking a break, I wear a different pair of shoes at the 2nd park. Last time = zero blisters.

My favorites are crocs. While not the most stylish, they are super comfy and great when your feet get wet. I have these ones:

My go-to Disney shoe:

http://www.amazon.com/crocs-Womens-Shayna-Mary-Jane/dp/B003XDZLTG

I purchased these at Disney my last trip and they are awesome.

http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Disney-Womens-Crocs--Mickey-Mouse-Pink-Capri-Flip-Flops_p_27914.html

I also rotate a pair of Sketchers go walks, and an older pair of running shoes.

Hope that helps!

I always wear something that is comfortable in my everyday life. I actually really like high boots so i seem to always were those for my Disney bounds

find a store that has the machines you can stand on and buy the recommended shoe insert. Then you can wear anything you want just use the insert and it's life and day difference..

I also carry 1 pair of socks in a zip lock bag, the worst year for my feet there was a lot of rain and my feet were always wet. Even if I left to change or take a break, I still had to talk a mile or two in wet socks and the damage was done before I could take them off.

you should have two pairs of comfortable shoes to alternate each day

Honestly, I think these are the two best pieces of advice that I have ever seen since I started researching about Disney, because people really don't think that much about their feet as they should.

I switched off every day or so, and that seemed to help. I rotated between flip flops, Birkenstocks, and Asics. My husband bought a pair of Asics before the trip and wore them everyday. I was nervous because he bought them the day before we left, so there was no time to break them in. He had no issues at all. He said it felt like he was walking on pillows.

I hate when i go to disney with new people and they have to go home to change shoes. i always tell people to wear shoes you find confertable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter