What rides wont work with onsite room key pass?

Ragman

Earning My Ears
Want to make sure we hit those early, so what rides in both parks do not accept the hotel room key pass? (express pass)

Thank you.

IOA:
Forbidden Journey
Hogwarts Express
Pteranodon Flyers

USF:
Escape From Gringotts
Hogwarts Express
Twirl & Hurl

Those are the ones I can think of....

Please be aware that it is NOT your room key anymore. Years ago, your room key would be used to grant you the express pass access in the queues, but now there are kiosks at the hotels that you need to use AFTER getting your room key in order to print a paper express pass with your picture on it.

IOA:
Forbidden Journey
Hogwarts Express
Pteranodon Flyers

USF:
Escape From Gringotts
Hogwarts Express
Twirl & Hurl

Those are the ones I can think of....

Please be aware that it is NOT your room key anymore. Years ago, your room key would be used to grant you the express pass access in the queues, but now there are kiosks at the hotels that you need to use AFTER getting your room key in order to print a paper express pass with your picture on it.

Paper? yuck. Just another thing to carry around. Thank you for the info snoopboop

It's actually a light card stock. Everyone usually gets a lanyard. I put my ticket facing one window in the lanyard and my express pass facing the other window on the opposite side and room key in the middle. So when I hit the park the scan can read my ticket and then I just flip it over so they can scan by express pass on a ride. Easy.

I have seen people carrying around those large pieces of paper they printed at home tickets on. You can take those to guest services and they will give you a small ticket to fit in your lanyard.

Go to the Universal Orlando site and go to the bottom and hit map. You can pull up the park maps there and it will show you all the rides in both parks that have Express Pass and those that don't.

Hope this helps. Have a great trippixiedust:

Last edited:
Everyone usually gets a lanyard. I put my ticket facing one window in the lanyard and my express pass facing the other window on the opposite side and room key in the middle. So when I hit the park the scan can read my ticket and then I just flip it over so they can scan by express pass on a ride. Easy.

Exactly what I do too! :thumbsup2

IOA:

I learned this this trip. No one informed me... Just thought it was room key. I hadn't stayed onsite in many years. It's actually nicer if you're using the lanyard. The room keys are super hard to get in and out of the seemingly smaller plastic pouch for getting into the hotel. Was nice to be able to store it in my wallet and have something else in my lanyard. Also thought it was going to be a super pain the :scared1: to get but it was actually really simple.

It's actually a light card stock. Everyone usually gets a lanyard. I put my ticket facing one window in the lanyard and my express pass facing the other window on the opposite side and room key in the middle. So when I hit the park the scan can read my ticket and then I just flip it over so they can scan by express pass on a ride. Easy.

I have seen people carrying around those large pieces of paper they printed at home tickets on. You can take those to guest services and they will give you a small ticket to fit in your lanyard.

I was wondering about the lanyard. I'm staying RPR for the EP, do they give you the lanyard then? It sounds much more convenient than getting the pass out of a purse each time! Are they standard size lanyards by chance (ie they would hold a gift card)? I'd like to use it after Universal when I go to food and wine at wdw.

I was wondering about the lanyard. I'm staying RPR for the EP, do they give you the lanyard then? It sounds much more convenient than getting the pass out of a purse each time! Are they standard size lanyards by chance (ie they would hold a gift card)? I'd like to use it after Universal when I go to food and wine at wdw.
They do not provide lanyards you need to purchase them. I use cheap ones I found at home and they hold: my express pass, room key, Drivers license ,gift card/ money

The price of lanyards at the parks are right around $8-$10. They have plenty of themes to choose from too.

You can keep your room key, ticket, EP, and some folded up money. To me it's one of the best things you can buy for pratical and memory gift.

Has anyone purchased lanyards from amazon? If so, do you mind sharing what type you used? I'm not sure I'm keen on dropping the big dollars on lanyards at Uni.

thanks! I've bought one
Has anyone purchased lanyards from amazon? If so, do you mind sharing what type you used? I'm not sure I'm keen on dropping the big dollars on lanyards at Uni.
After reading the responses here I went to Amazon and purchased mine for our upcoming trip yesterday. I too had no intention of spending 8-10 on a lanyard... and then I did exactly that :guilty: I found one that is a combo lanyard, id holder, coin purse and is super cute (Mickey themed but Univ will just have to deal with it lol) that should work splendidly for my univ and wdw trips. I like the idea I can carry my phone and a credit card and cash and my id in a place where they won't get wet or fall out AND I won't have to lug my purse around. I'm going to Food and Wine after Universal and managing the food and wine and a purse sounded like a disaster in the making for this klutz so I'm very happy that I was informed univ only sells the lanyards or I never would have really looked into all of my options. I ended up going in a slightly different direction obviously but am much happier about it- for now anyway. I won't receive my items for awhile but if no one else has reported back by the time I do I'll post you a pic of what I got and what the quality appears to be. It cost me about $8 and was sold by Disney on Amazon.

Hot Topic has a super fun collection of lanyards. We got them 50% off. My son picked out a HP one and I got Pixar's UP. They had a TON of different ones. Sherlock. Doctor Who. Minions....

Everyone usually gets a lanyard.

You mean that your family usually has or gets (on their own) a lanyard. Your sentence is being read to mean that you were given a lanyard by Uni/Loews. Which, unless it's a special perk in a package deal, isn't something that happens.

I'm staying RPR for the EP, do they give you the lanyard then?

They don't give you a lanyard. Unless it's a special perk in a package that you've booked.

I'm not sure I'm keen on dropping the big dollars on lanyards at Uni.

See, I don't feel that $10 for a lanyard is that much at all. I love my Ravenclaw-themed lanyard. It's pretty, it's soft (not scratchy on my neck), and I like how it looks. I don't use the plastic pouch, though; I spent another $10 on a clear Witz brand "see it save" hard plastic waterproof "pouch" that can hold several cards and some cash. I carry ID, CC, insurance card, a little cash, roomkey, admission (AP), and EP. (at Disney it's the same minus the EP but plus the MB on wrist or in purse)

See, I don't feel that $10 for a lanyard is that much at all. I love my Ravenclaw-themed lanyard. It's pretty, it's soft (not scratchy on my neck), and I like how it looks. I don't use the plastic pouch, though; I spent another $10 on a clear Witz brand "see it save" hard plastic waterproof "pouch" that can hold several cards and some cash. I carry ID, CC, insurance card, a little cash, roomkey, admission (AP), and EP. (at Disney it's the same minus the EP but plus the MB on wrist or in purse)

Follow up question:

Does Universal allow you to wear the Witz hard case on rides?

If you're planning to go on the water rides, make sure you get a lanyard that has the ziploc closure. Our first visit we got cheap ones in a store on I Drive and our express passes and our AP's got soaked! The $8-10 lanyard in the park is really nicely made. If you're going to do the Photo Connect, they will give you a free photo connect lanyard. It's ugly black and yellow but it's free!

I got these from Amazon & am attempting to post a pic for you (may or may not work). I'm a bit disappointed in the quality (zip catches on the inside at spots) but it should do the trick for universal and food & wine for me. It holds an iPhone5S, don't know about others. There is a clear pouch on the back, I'll try putting my EP in there but right now I'm a little concerned it might fall out, we'll see. All in all I'm a bit disappointed quality wise but excited because they are ridiculously cute.image.jpg

You're right! Super cute but I can see how the black lanyard part of it is not what you had in mind. Thank you so much for following up on this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter