What rides don't allow fanny packs/ running belts?

Scubadaddy32

DIS Veteran
My wife was planning on wearing a running belt. What rides will she be required to remove it and place it in a locker?

Hulk and Rip Red. Both have screening so nothing but your lanyard inside your shirt. No phones, no bags, nothing in pockets. Otherwise can use waistline packs, as long as they have a 3 prong secure closing. I use one, and rarely go on the 2 above rides, though if I did, free locker at start, that my pack fits nicely in.

I know some running belts have the three prong clasp and some don't. The typical rule is that if it has a three prong clasp, its permitted on the "non metal detector" rides. As PP noted above, the rides where you have to go through a metal detector (Hulk and RRR), she would have to place it in a locker.

I know some running belts have the three prong clasp and some don't. The typical rule is that if it has a three prong clasp, its permitted on the "non metal detector" rides. As PP noted above, the rides where you have to go through a metal detector (Hulk and RRR), she would have to place it in a locker.
Hulk and Rip Red. Both have screening so nothing but your lanyard inside your shirt. No phones, no bags, nothing in pockets. Otherwise can use waistline packs, as long as they have a 3 prong secure closing. I use one, and rarely go on the 2 above rides, though if I did, free locker at start, that my pack fits nicely in.

Thanks for the information ladies!
I typically carry a small backpack at WDW with all our stuff, but we understand some of the rides are more intense at Universal.
We were just thinking the lockers would take up a lot of time having to wait for the lockers and then wait to go back to the lockers after the rides, especially during Covid protocols. What is your take?

Most of the time, don’t think the lockers take much time. If seem crowded, go to the back, as usually there is a kiosk there to scan your ticket to unlock. Make sure you do keep your ticket or pass, as need it to unlock. I haven’t been during this virus time yet, in 12 days, I can tell you. But the times I have gone, even during the Christmas holiday, if you have one person do the locker, instead of your whole family, that helps, and we tend to head to the back, as most of the time people flock to the nearest ones. You should be fine, as they generally give a decent amount of time to get your stuff before they ask you to pay. I have used the ones at Men In Black, used the single rider or express lane twice, and still got to my locker in plenty of time. Do be aware, they are small, and narrow, but I have seen those that do the shove. If you have that much stuff, there are paid lockers at the front of the park, and they do hold more. The free ones are hard to put a wand in, and only hold a plastic cup sideways, so no drink should be in it.

For me, particularly if it is hot, I’d not rather carry much. My lanyard holds my pass and hotel key. My waist pack holds my small wallet, my cased phone and its charger, my sunglasses and a suntan lotion stick, as well as a lip one. My receipts and photo pass card are also in the pack. And, my car keys, if I have them. That’s all I really need. If I buy anything, unless it it fits nicely in my pack, I send it back to my onsite hotel room, or to pick it up near the exit, when I am exiting the park. Both ways are a free service. I like not having to carry and forget it somewhere, or have to tote it everywhere. Only time I do, is when I am heading back shortly.

Thanks again for your take.
I'm sure we will have a good lay of the land after the first day on site.
It would be great if we could get your take after you come back from your upcoming trip as we are about a month out ourselves.

Do be aware, they are small, and narrow, but I have seen those that do the shove. If you have that much stuff, there are paid lockers at the front of the park, and they do hold more.

There are larger lockers at the rides, too, but they aren't free. There is a very limited supply of the larger lockers and we've been there when there was a short wait to get one of the larger lockers at both Hulk and Hagrid's (week leading up to Christmas).

The large lockers used to be free but since they started charging for them, I've downgraded to a smaller backpack that will fit in the small lockers (with a good shove).

I use a small backpack so I can carry some ponchos, a portable battery, umbrella, etc. Also nice to have side pockets on the pack where I can hold drinks. My wife usually brings her small cross-body bag, too. We could get away without, and it's really nice to walk around with as little as possible, but we like to be prepared for rain so we can stay in the parks while others flee. ;)

We were just thinking the lockers would take up a lot of time having to wait for the lockers and then wait to go back to the lockers after the rides, especially during Covid protocols. What is your take?
I haven't been since Covid, but I never found the lockers to be too time consuming. It maybe adds 3-5 minutes at most on either end of the ride storing and retrieving your bag. The locker banks are adjacent to each ride. Most of the lockers have been converted to the style where you scan your ticket, so it goes a lot faster (side note: another reason for a lanyard is to keep your ticket handy and not in the locker, especially when you need it to open a locker!)

As mentioned, the free lockers are small and would not hold a backpack or even a drink cup with liquid in it. I always carry a crossbody style purse that fits fine in the locker. For me, I would rather carry the stuff I need in my purse and use the lockers than attempt to go without or shove things in my pockets to avoid the lockers. So that should speak to how minimal the locker hassle actually is.

At Hulk, there was a line to get a locker and another to get back into the locker to retrieve your items. A Team Member sends one person per party in at a time while maintaining social distancing in each bay. This is a bit different than pre-COVID in that you don't get to just enter on your own when & where you want to- UO staff send you in. This does add a bit more time to getting a locker & retrieving your items, depending on how many folks are queuing up to ride.

Last edited:
We typically carry some disposable ponchos, our phones last all day at WDW even when I'm on it all day long grabbing FP's as we will have Express Pass at U. I won't need to be on it much otherwise as we prefer letting the pros take most of the pictures. Sounds like I should still bring my small back pack and play it by ear after the first day.
Real quick, does your hotel provide a lanyard for your tickets or do you have to purchase them?

With the covid protocol in place, the lockers can get time-consuming. As PP said, they are keeping an eye on how many people are in an area at one time. The lockers at Hagrids are especially busy - one time I had to wait for a locker for at least 5 minutes. They won't let two people into the same area so if your bag is in a zone where someone else is already and they're messing with a bunch of stuff, unloading the bag, messing with their phone, and fiddling around you're going to wind up waiting a bit for them to finish up. We were there during the week in July and, even with the low crowds, I had to wait in line a couple of times just to get a locker (Hagrids, Gringotts, and Mummy were the worst - we didn't ride Hulk or RRR - MIB was the fastest). My best estimate is that it would take around 5 minutes total to drop off and pick up your stuff. It doesn't sound so bad but, if you're riding 10 rides in a day, that's almost an hour just fiddling with the lockers while you already have decreased park hours. If you can avoid having to use them I would recommend it - or make sure you're not the "designated locker person" like I was! After our first day with the backpack, I told everyone they needed to have their hip belts on.

With the covid protocol in place, the lockers can get time-consuming. As PP said, they are keeping an eye on how many people are in an area at one time. The lockers at Hagrids are especially busy - one time I had to wait for a locker for at least 5 minutes. They won't let two people into the same area so if your bag is in a zone where someone else is already and they're messing with a bunch of stuff, unloading the bag, messing with their phone, and fiddling around you're going to wind up waiting a bit for them to finish up. We were there during the week in July and, even with the low crowds, I had to wait in line a couple of times just to get a locker (Hagrids, Gringotts, and Mummy were the worst - we didn't ride Hulk or RRR - MIB was the fastest). My best estimate is that it would take around 5 minutes total to drop off and pick up your stuff. It doesn't sound so bad but, if you're riding 10 rides in a day, that's almost an hour just fiddling with the lockers while you already have decreased park hours. If you can avoid having to use them I would recommend it - or make sure you're not the "designated locker person" like I was! After our first day with the backpack, I told everyone they needed to have their hip belts on.
That was kinda my thinking... What do you do with caps on the more intense rides like the Hulk...?

For Hulk and RRR there are no loose articles at all. You can tuck your lanyard in your shirt but everything else has to go into a locker. There's no avoiding the lockers if you want to ride those two.
No issues with the rest of them I guess?

MiB has no loose articles. I hold my hat when we spin, as I felt it coming off one time.

Same with Islands old potter ride. No loose articles, 3 prong needed.

think that is what i remember.

I usually have on a baseball cap and on those rides, I just pull a "Happy Days" and sit on it. ;)
I watched a few videos with dudes getting off the Hulk with their baseball caps on backwards, but I'm like you I'll just sit on it at 60+ mph. Ha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter